Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email hel[email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Keeping glass shower doors clean...

How do you do it? I've never had shower doors before. They seem really hard to keep clean. What about those automatic daily shower cleaners. Do they work?

Re: Keeping glass shower doors clean...

• We installed our glass shower last summer and have used Method Daily Shower Spray on it after every shower.  I have still never had to scrub it.  I LOVE that shower spray!
    BFP #1: 3/20/10, EDD 11/22/12, DD born: 11/20/12
    BFP #2: 8/26/12, EDD 5/3/12, M/C 9/4/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Living Simple Blog
  • RainX.  Squeege after each shower.
  • imagecotner:
    RainX.  Squeege after each shower.

Ditto the squeege!

• imageSisugal:

imagecotner:

Ditto the squeege!

I was going to suggest the same thing.

• junojuno member
    1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited July 2014
    imageAussie*s_Mom:
    imageSisugal:

imagecotner:

Ditto the squeege!

I was going to suggest the same thing.

We squeege every day and it does nothing (well, it might do something, so we keep doing it, but I still have soap scum to clean every week).  I think part of our problem is bar soap, but I like it, so I'm not going to switch to liquid.  I use a RainX-like product, but I still have to clean around the bottom of the shower weekly.  For the weekly cleanings, nothing works like the Magic Eraser.  If I don't have the Magic Eraser I use a dish liquid that will cut through the grease in the scum, but that takes a lot more effort than the ME.

• imageMs.MKBT:
    We installed our glass shower last summer and have used Method Daily Shower Spray on it after every shower.  I have still never had to scrub it.  I LOVE that shower spray!

For soap scum I use a Magic Eraser and I use the Method Daily Shower Spray every night after we shower. I've heard using a squeegee every day helps but I haven't tried it personally.

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Start off with a really, really clean shower!

Then spray it down with Rain-X or even furniture polish; it does the exact same thing. Whatever you use, just be careful to keep it AWAY from the floor of the tub. LOL. That's an accident waiting to happen! It might be stupid advice, but the first time I used furniture polish in the shower I didn't think about it at all and DH almost broke his neck. Haha!

You can also use a daily spray. It does basically the same thing as an automatic cleaner. Tilex makes a good formula. It's clear and in a clear bottle. There's also a generic of it. Just use it once a day.

If there is soap scum buildup, rub a dryer sheet over the surface of the shower door and clean it all off! Easy and cheap.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just did my first hard-core shower door cleaning since we moved in 7 years ago (until now I've been doing the squeegee/spray/a few wipes with a sponge). The soap scum buildup was pretty bad in the corners, as you might imagine. I tried the dryer sheet trick cited above, Soft Scrub, shower cleaner, and a Magic Eraser. 

It took some elbow grease and about 45 minutes, as well as attention to detail, but the Magic Eraser was by far the most effective method. After the ME, I used a damp sponge to remove any ME residue, and then used Windex just because I was feeling ambitious. 

My doors now look brand new, which is really saying something, LOL. My plan is to start wiping them down once a week or so with the ME, while continuing to use the squeegee and daily shower spray.