D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

QOTD Thursday

What's your favorite DC-area grocery store?
Sarah (sarahelisabethm)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: QOTD Thursday

• I like Harris Teeter even though we do most of our shopping at Giant.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Wegmans for sure. My only complaint is that it's too far away from me, so I don't go there regularly.

My favorite grocery store where I actually shop on a regular basis is Whole Foods.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • definitely wegmans! but since we live in DC and don't have a car, we don't get there that often. my regular grocery store is whole foods (which i also like a lot)
  • imageWinesNotWhines:
    Wegmans for sure. My only complaint is that it's too far away from me, so I don't go there regularly.

My favorite grocery store where I actually shop on a regular basis is Whole Foods.

Haha, I'm the opposite.  I shop at Wegmans regularily but love Whole Foods.  Wegmans is only 10 minutes from me and Whole Foods is twenty (the Reston one is closer, but too small for me). There are no Whole Foods in Loudoun County.  Such a shame - Wegmans gets all the their business.  FWIW, for a long time I didn't like Wegmans (and shopped at Teeter because I can't stand Giant), but now I love them.

• My favorite is Wegmans, but there is none in Manassas, so I usually go to Harris Teeter instead.  I also love Trader Joe's when I'm able to get to the one in Centreville.
    Sarah (sarahelisabethm)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Trader Joe's.  I have never been to a wegmans but I know DH loves them.
  • Wegmans--I actually made the 20 minute trip out there this morning.  I try to avoid Safeway and Giant, and so our go-to nearby is usually Trader Joes with Costco for meats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Harris Teeter.  I've only been to Wegman's once because they are all really far away, but I feel like if one were closer I would be in love.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • MOM's. It's super close and convenient and their produce is so much better than a regular chain store (even, shocker!, Wegman's). It's like a curated collection of fruits and vegetables. But it's still cheaper than WF. 

I do a lot of big shopping at Wegman's though, like today in prep for Christmas Eve. And everyone knows about my deep abiding love for Costco. 

• In this order:

Wegmans

Harris Teeter

Trader Joes

Shoppers, Safeway, Giant - these 3 are tied for last place

ETA:  I've never stepped into a Whole Foods Surprise

• I love wegmans but they're all too far away. I wish the MoCo planners would try to lure them into opening one in Rockville/Wheaton instead of the planned Walmart and Costco.

I am happy with my Giant, though. They have a small but fairly nice selection of organic food, the produce is pretty good, and the staff are very friendly. There is one manager who always staffs the front to answer questions and keep an eye on the lines and I really like him. He always knows where I can find what I am looking for and also says hi even if I don't have a question. It feels neighborly. 

ETA Our old Giant in Del Ray was awful so just having a bigger store without rotting produce makes me happy! 

• I love Harris Teeter (aka the Teet), but the closest one to us is Giant, so that's where we usually go.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • Another Harris Teeter shopper here.  I really like Whole Foods as well, but just for specialty items, not regular shopping.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
  • I am a Wegman's ho - that's where we do the bulk of our shopping. There is a new Harris Teeter literally just 2 mins away so I do a fair bit there if we need something last minute (oops, out of milk, going to HT).  When I was pregnant, I would often stop by the TJ's in Reston there on the way back from my OB appointments but TJ and WF are too far of a drive for me now.  I was pretty surprised by how many items that Wegman's carries that are not available at HT.

• I don't have a favorite. We go to Safeway out of convenience, but I do like their prices. The one by us lacks in variety and the produce is hit or miss. I like Giant for their variety and better produce. I've never been to other grocery stores around here, but would like to check out Whole Foods and Trader Joes someday. I love Wegman's (had one nearby when I was in college), but we can't get there without a car.
  • imageSofka:

I am a Wegman's ho

LMAO!! i am so going to think "Sofka is a weman's ho" when you post :P 

• imagecheekywife:
    imageSofka:

I am a Wegman's ho

LOL  Yes

• imageSofka:
    imagecheekywife:
    imageSofka:

I am a Wegman's ho

LOL  Yes

and for the record, if i lived near that wegman's, i'd be a wegman's ho too ;) 

• I like my local Giant, I know the layout, I can get in and out quickly when I need to and their selection of organic produce, while limited, is OK.  At lunch I sometimes run to the really nice Safeway on Lee by Nutley, and that store is lovely, but I don't know the layout so it takes too long to shop there regularly.  We run to Trader Joes and Costco every other week for stuff and about once a month I run to Whole Foods for some items my local grocery store doesn't carry.  But overall what matters most to me is decent produce, and easy layout, anything else is icing on the cake.  (We get most meat from a farm, so our purchase from the store is limited).     
  • WF and Trader Joe's.
  • in this order:

Trader Joe's

MOMs

Harris Teeter

i'm not a big fan of WF. i find it overpriced (I can get a lot of the same things for 25-50% less at MOMs), the clientele is snobbish and the staff aren't super helpful.

conversely, TJ's staff is overhelpful and they don't have everything i need, so i always have to go to more than one store.

MOMs is my favorite place to go, but i can't live off what they sell, so i primarily buy from TJs, then go to MOMs for my produce and organic foods. 

[color=purple]Wife ? 9/18/04<BR>Mommy ? DS - 2006 (C/S) & DD - 2010 (HWBAC)<BR>Wellness Provider ? Birth Doula - Hypnotherapist - HypnoBirthing - Reiki Master/Teacher[/color]<BR><BR><a href=http://naturalbirthfaq.wordpress.com/ target="blank">Natural/Unmedicated Childbirth FAQs</a>
  • Giant

Harris Teeter

trader joes

Whole Foods

We try to avoid Safeway for several reasons and it is the closest to our house

• We also go to Shoppers pretty frequently.
  • Definitely Wegmans. When we lived in Herndon, we were just 5 minutes away from the Sterling one. Then we moved to the middle of nowhere, but sit about 25 min between the Leesburg and Frederick ones...so we still do our weekly shopping there.
    imageimage