Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP - Deodorizing concrete?

The house we just bought had all carpet - DH removed it all about a week ago. The problem is, the house still smells like old carpet. Someone recommended that we use an enzyme cleaner that you buy at pet stores on the concrete before we install the new carpet and tile. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Re: XP - Deodorizing concrete?

• Enzyme cleaner is for waste smells (most often pet accidents or sewage back-ups).

Why don't you just paint the floor with Kilz primer before you have the new carpet installed? It'd be relatively inexpensive and much less hassle (compared to treating it with an enzyme cleaner) and would eliminate any "old carpet" smell just fine.

• image srs5624:

Why don't you just paint the floor with Kilz primer before you have the new carpet installed? It'd be relatively inexpensive and much less hassle (compared to treating it with an enzyme cleaner) and would eliminate any "old carpet" smell just fine.

This is exactly what I was going to recommend also.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image srs5624:

Enzyme cleaner is for waste smells (most often pet accidents or sewage back-ups).

I also recommend sealing it with kilz
  • We used hydrogen peroxide. We were trying to get out pet smells and had already used 2 gallons of nature's miracle (at $25/bottle) and while it improved it, it still had a lingering odor. I read online about people having luck with hydrogen peroxide, so we bought 5 quarts of it (97 cents/bottle) and poured it on the floor. We pushed it around with a broom to spread it out. When it hit certain areas, it bubbled up a lot and in others it did nothing. I assume that's where it hit the stink. I just let it dry and now it doesn't smell.

Like you, it had been carpeted and we had the old carpet out for a couple weeks trying different ways to clean it. We let it air out about a week before we put the new flooring in (laminate). We wanted to make sure it was completely dry and that the smell was gone.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers