International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*Chelbel*

Did you end up getting the hypnobirthing books and CD's? What did you think?

I was looking into taking classes, but friends said if you buy the book and listen to the CDs you don't really need the classes. 

We're still debating what to do. 

image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: *Chelbel*

• No, sorry I didn't end up getting them so I can't offer any advice.  I did read Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan which offers some relaxation techniques and things to think about.  I should probably review some pieces of it. 

There was really no reason why I didn't choose to buy them, I just didn't know if I would get them in time because they said you needed a good 6 weeks to go over everything and I just thought I wouldn't get them in time. With that being said after looking into the cost of classes and reviews I read, I was opting for the books over the classes. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. If you do decide to do it I will be interested to hear what you think. Best of luck! We'll have to do a GTG after both the babies are here.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • *butting in*

I did the hypnobirthing books and cd before I had ds, and have to be honest that it all went out the window when I was in labor! I did like it when I was listening to it though. 

DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/15gf6sz.jpg[/IMG]
  • Chelbel - Yes! We'll both be on maternity leave at the same time. We'll have to go on some play dates. :) 

frlcb - Good to know. I'm not expecting to hypnotize myself into having a pain free birth, but I thought some knowledge of pain management would help. We'll see I guess. 

image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did go to the birth class offered by the hospital and it was nice to hear directly from one of the midwifes there. It put both me and H at ease.  It also made me consider getting a TENS machine, I haven't but kind of wish I had it to try now.
  • Did either of you do NCT? I took the birth class at the hospital (St Georges) and it sucked, but did the NCT and loved it. I also had a TENS machine and it was helpful but didn't use it much.

• Does this work for pain in general?  Like headaches?
    Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio
  • image NCV2:
    Does this work for pain in general?  Like headaches?

I have no idea, but look at reviews for hypnobirthing books on Amazon. 

frlcb - We start our NCT classes in a week and a half. 

image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would have liked to do the NCT, but couldn't find one in my area that wouldn't have required me to miss work.  Since part of the purpose was to meet people in my area I didn't want to travel to do it. I'm hoping to join after the baby comes though.
  • How about some pre-natal yoga classes?  A friend of mine did them and she says that they really helped her with the breathing through the pain.  In fact when they finally examined her on the ante-natal ward (she had been in a couple of days for something as a precaution) she was around 8cm and had to be rushed to delivery - got no pain meds.

I had a TENS and used it during labour.  In fact, the only other pain relief I had for the entire labour was 2 paracetamol (no, I'm not kidding!!) and Gas & Air for a little while in delivery (I was only in delivery an hour before N arrived).  I found the TENS good and I was doing a lot of corridor pacing throughout labour - I could give it a boost during actual contractions

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
  • {butting in}

I did the hypnobirthing class with DS (#2) and while I found the actual course to be too chaotic for my liking (the teacher blamed it on my technical background :)) a few techniques I learnt REALLY helped during me during labour. DH was talking me through them and it made such a big difference, I just felt in control which was quite different to my first labour experience :)

Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image NCV2:
    Does this work for pain in general?  Like headaches?

I don't know from experience but our instructor claims that it helps with stress/tension and for some people with pain as well.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image The Irish Gal:

I had a TENS and used it during labour.  In fact, the only other pain relief I had for the entire labour was 2 paracetamol (no, I'm not kidding!!) and Gas & Air for a little while in delivery (I was only in delivery an hour before N arrived).  I found the TENS good and I was doing a lot of corridor pacing throughout labour - I could give it a boost during actual contractions 

I hated gas & air more than anything in either of my labors and they were both otherwise drug free. I used it with ds and it made me vomit and I refused to use it again.