International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who's Doing Santa?

I have seen this on other boards and wondered who here is - and isn't - doing Santa. We are and I have no issues with it at all, but I know some people believe it is lying. What do you think?
DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/15gf6sz.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Who's Doing Santa?

• I see Santa the same way as I see Jesus/God - they are fictitious characters with a really good story.  We're just telling Quint a story.  At the end of a Curious George book I don't say, "Now Quint, that Curious George isn't real. Monkeys don't really float through the city on a balloon." At the end of a Spongebob cartoon, I don't say, "Quint, sponges can't really talk!"

I just let him enjoy it because I think it is a cute part of childhood. 

• Wait. Is the Man in the Yellow Hat real?? 

I totally agree with you. I also have never met an adult who is scarred by believing in Santa as a child and then finding out he isn't real. 

• We're doing it all, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny. . . I think that's it? 

Milo is beside himself because Father Christmas is coming to his school next week.  And as an added bonus, we've been able to use the 'Santa has elves WHO ARE WATCHING YOU' thing to help with discipline for the past month or so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image little red buttons:

We're doing it all, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny. . . I think that's it? 

Milo is beside himself because Father Christmas is coming to his school next week.  And as an added bonus, we've been able to use the 'Santa has elves WHO ARE WATCHING YOU' thing to help with discipline for the past month or so.

We are doing them all too!

Oh, and the elves, they are big in our house. BIG. It helps! 

• image frlcb:
    image little red buttons:

We're doing it all, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny. . . I think that's it? 

It totally helps.  Matt has even put a call into the big guy and it totally freaked Milo out.  He was an angel for a solid 48 hours afterward.  I'm sort of dreading January in this respect.

• I know, it would be nice if I could say the elves are watching year round but I am afraid it may ruin the effect!

• Wait, so you're saying Santa isn't real? 

We'll do them all, too.  Anybody who disagrees with Santa because it's lying is ridiculous IMO.  Get over yourself.  

• We do Santa, Easter Bunny and we will also do the tooth fairy. We also have Haji Firuz, which is like Santa but for the Persian New Year, he also brings gifts and wears a red costume.

I don't think it's lying, it's part of the fun of being a kid.

image frlcb:
    image little red buttons:

It totally helps.  Matt has even put a call into the big guy and it totally freaked Milo out.  He was an angel for a solid 48 hours afterward.  I'm sort of dreading January in this respect.

Hilarious! Ah the things that we do as parents :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are doing Sinterklass (5 Dec), Santa 1 (24 Dec), Santa 2 (7 Jan). Our kids will probably be scarred for life :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

A colleague got an app on her phone and Santa "called" her nephew on her phone... used his name and all... I thought it was hilarious!!!  I think you type in the kids name, what they want and then the voice "rings" you and even leaves gaps for the other side of the conversation...

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
  • We are, although I wasn't raised with Santa so I don't really know what I am doing.  DH was.  I think DH won't be really assertive in this area and since I don't think I will be very good at this, I think our kids will have a watered down version of it.
    Photobucket
  • image titicole:
    We are, although I wasn't raised with Santa so I don't really know what I am doing.  DH was.  I think DH won't be really assertive in this area and since I don't think I will be very good at this, I think our kids will have a watered down version of it.

I don't think there is really much to do, so I think you will be okay :) We just tell ds that Santa comes on Christmas Eve, he brings some presents, but NOT everything that he asks for, he lives in the North Pole. We took them to see Santa at the mall, although I am not sure in the next year or two when ds starts asking about how Santa can be at the mall all the time what we will say. We also do elf on the shelf, which some people don't like but it works for us, so we do it. We have an elf that comes in and spends the day with us, watching everyone, and then magically flies back to Santa at night to tell him how we have all been, and then he comes back in the morning. Part of the game is finding him, but ds also knows he isn't allowed to talk to him or touch him.

I think whatever traditions your family chooses with Santa will be great, and even more special because they are yours. 

• image frlcb:

We took them to see Santa at the mall, although I am not sure in the next year or two when ds starts asking about how Santa can be at the mall all the time what we will say. 

When I was little I asked a question similar to this and my mom responded "Santa asks some of his helpers to help him talk to children around Christmas time because he gets so busy!"  

• I'll be the mom with the Jewish kid telling all his classmates Santa isn't real.

Lawd, help me.

Our sweet little guy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Israel Blog!
  • we will do it - I just think its a fun part of being a kid during the christmas season!!

G is totally scared to Santa though at this point-  cried like crazy on Sunday when we had an xmas party with friends & one of the dads dressed up

but we will definitely do it once she's old enough to understand - it's fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker