June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sick LO Question

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Benjamin is super congested.  He won't take a bottle, and will comfort nurse until he gets a let-down, then stops.  He is happy as a clam to eat his cereal/fruit/veggies.  How much BM/Formula is absolutely necessary to get into him?  Can he stay hydrated from just the liquid in his cereal/purees? Obviously, I can't force him to drink, but I really don't want him to get dehydrated.  

Also, it has only been today that he has been doing this.  How many days until I should get really concerned?  I was thinking 2 or 3.  

Can I give him anything for congestion?  He is 7 months old and about 19 lbs. 

I called my ped's office, but they don't like to answer questions over the phone and told me to bring him in. He has no fever or symptoms other then congestion so I see no point as of now.   

Re: Sick LO Question

• saline spray,
    boogie sucker (a huge fan of the nose frida here! works so well and quicky),
    humidifier and hot steamy shower time, elevated mattress if he doesn't move much when he sleeps.
     I also like using a vicks waterless vaporizer to get some good stuff in the air while they sleep

Hope he feels better soon! I hate when they have clogged noses and can't nurse or suck on anything. 

• I'd just make sure he is having wet diapers like normal.  A few times our Pedi suggested we try some Pedialyte w/ Jane when she was congested and refusing formula (milk is thick and mucous-y, so I don't blame her!)  She happily took some of that and I felt better knowing she was getting *something*.   Don't know how that would work with a BF kid, but thought I'd throw it out there.
  • image naylon511:
    I'd just make sure he is having wet diapers like normal.  A few times our Pedi suggested we try some Pedialyte w/ Jane when she was congested and refusing formula (milk is thick and mucous-y, so I don't blame her!)  She happily took some of that and I felt better knowing she was getting *something*.   Don't know how that would work with a BF kid, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Actually, all of what Megan said. I BF'd Liam until 9 months, and we had several sick instances last fall. The pediatrician also recommended giving him Pedialyte, and he would drink that for me.

I hope Benjamin feels better soon!!

• For his weight, he needs about an ounce of fluids an hour.  You can get some through the food as well.  He doesn't have to drink an ounce every hour and you can batch the attempts.

Hope he feels better!

image Thanksgiving, 2011 Amanda & Joe, June 28, 2008 Blog of Randomness BFP 6/10/11; Missed m/c at 5wk6d; D&C 7/18/11, Triploidy BFP 11/24/11, please be our sticky baby pregnant