Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What to use (or not to) on granite?

Our new home has a light granite, which I wipe down daily with a sponge with dishsoap. In the sunlight it looks "spotty", like there's a soap film or something. They just don't seem clean to me. Is there a good cleaner I can use when I do a deep clean? I used to use 409 or Lysol on my laminate countertops, but I'm not sure those would damage the granite.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What to use (or not to) on granite?

• I just use a little dishsoap and a wet sponge on mine (as suggested by the folks that installed our countertops).  I first do it kinda wet/soapy and then I rinse the sponge and clean off the soapsuds and most of the wetness and then I use a clean kitchen towel to dry it.  That way I don't get spots/streaks.

I'm not really worried about a 'deep clean' for my countertops.  But that's me.  You might want to do some research online about cleaners that aren't specifically for granite, how they would work for you...just depends on the ingredients I would imagine.

• Most of the time I use 409 to clean up after cooking/eating.  But my MIL recently gave me a can of Gel-Gloss, she got it from Lowe's.  It's a "polish & rejuvenator."  I take her advice with cleaning since her home is immaculate and she has beautiful counters. 

• Method granite cleaner works just fine. Is it spotty or are you simply seeing tone variation in the granite itself? 

I am not a fan of the dish soap method - the people who lived in our current house had a cleaning lady that used that method OMG that film drove me nuts and took forever to 'strip' off the counter top. I like to run my hand over granite and feel NOTHING.  If you want to use dish soap you should create a solution with isopropyl alcohol in it. 
  • image jacksjerseygirl:
    I am not a fan of the dish soap method - the people who lived in our current house had a cleaning lady that used that method OMG that film drove me nuts and took forever to 'strip' off the counter top. I like to run my hand over granite and feel NOTHING.  If you want to use dish soap you should create a solution with isopropyl alcohol in it. 

Huh...weird.  No film on my counters with that method.  Maybe she was using too much soap or something?  I use just the tiniest amt, there is no residue, no film etc 

• I second the recommendation for Method - we use the "daily granite" with a cloth and it works well!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i use actual granite cleaner on my granite...target sells one called "daily granite" in a black bottle