Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Favorite homemade soups

I'm freezing.  I'm wearing wool pants, a cami, a warm sweater, and my jacket, and I'm still freezing in my office.  I decided to save my salad for tomorrow in exchange for some soup and a toasted sandwich from the restaurant next door.  I want to make a big crockpot full of homemade soup that I can re-heat up for lunches over the week.  Does anyone have any favorite homemade soup recipes?  Extra points for any that re-heat well. 

Re: Favorite homemade soups

• http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/meaty-black-bean-chili-10000001673215/

This one is a staple in our house.  I try to make it with fresh tomatoes and if we have to use canned black beans I rinse them all first.

We also made this one over the weekend.  This isn't the exact recipe because the one I use calls for like 3 cans of broth or the equivalent and like 4 cups of water.

http://www.recipe.com/canned-vegetable-soup/?sessionTemplate=full

• I love Chicken Wild Rice soup. We always reheat it for leftovers - I even froze some and thawed it recently. I don't have the exact recipe I use because it's from a local MN cookbook but it's very similar to this one. I like to top it with slivered almonds.
  • I've been making butternut squash soup weekly for the past month or so.

I just sorta wing-it.

1-ish peeled and chopped butternut squash (the soup is usually made with the leftover squash after I made this, so the amount varies)

1 peeled and chopped sweet potatoe

1 rough chopped red onion

some garlic

enough chicken broth and water to cover

I sweat the veggies out first for a few minutes then add the broth, bring to a boil then simmer for a while until things are getting mushy.  Blend it with the immersion blender and season accordingly.  I usually add salt, pepper and cayenne.  I'll often make it a "bisque" and add some cream too.  Yum.  It reheats really well.

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yum!  These all sound so good.  Can't wait to try some :)
  • I like Taco Soup, Chicken and Rice, Chicken Tortilla, and black bean chili!

ETA:  I make all of mine in the crockpot and freeze individual servings to reheat.  If you want recipes, let me know.

Charlie and Carmen - furbabies!

• We have been making the Chicken Wild Rice soup from the Betty Crocker cookbook (the classic red one) for two winters now and love it. I think it's similar to this one:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/wild-rice-soup/2f66e648-f420-47d7-8c63-5d567c5b8538

This Southwest butternut squash soup from Cara's Cravings:

http://www.carascravings.com/2008/01/i-think-i-may-turn-orange.html

This one is my own, but I used two different recipes to come up with it: Spicy Black Bean with Chicken

http://www.beeskneeslife.com/2009/09/spicy-black-bean-soup-with-chicken.html

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I make plain old minestrone a lot.  I just google for recipes.  It uses lots of good fall veggies that are still straggling in from the garden.

I also make curry soups (again from google) with various veggies, lentils or chickpeas, and tofu. 

• My favorite is really easy: heat some EVOO and toss in some diced onions, carrots, potato and garlic.  Thrown in a bay leaf and break up some spicy turkey sausage.  Cook until meat is brown and veggies are soft.  Add a can of white beans and stir.  Then add a bunch of kale (spinach could work too) and let it wilt.  Finally add chicken stock and let simmer for 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper and at the very end add in a sprinkle of parm. cheese.
  • I'm a huge fan of chili... it freezes and reheats so well and always warms and fills me up.

Allrecipes has a few different ones with high ratings, from simple to complex.

image Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image shauni27:
    My favorite is really easy: heat some EVOO and toss in some diced onions, carrots, potato and garlic.  Thrown in a bay leaf and break up some spicy turkey sausage.  Cook until meat is brown and veggies are soft.  Add a can of white beans and stir.  Then add a bunch of kale (spinach could work too) and let it wilt.  Finally add chicken stock and let simmer for 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper and at the very end add in a sprinkle of parm. cheese.

This is my go-to as well. I make it when I have nothing to cook for dinner. Mine is a little different -- I don't add potato and I add a can of petite diced tomato. If you want extra carbs you an add ditalini pasta as well, but I prefer to use my carb for crusty bread to dip. YUM! I also put fresh spinach in a bowl and ladle the hot soup over it. It keeps it from getting mushy and each serving's spinach has a nice fresh bite to it. Will have to try the kale!!

DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Also, one of our faves, I am making it tonight (not as clean but still good):

Taco Soup

one lb lean ground meat (turkey, beef, bison)

brown with one small onion, drain

Add:

One can corn

One can black beans, with liquid

One can Rotel, or petite diced tomato (or both, I like tomatoes)

One packet taco seasoning, plus recommended water amount

One packet dry ranch dressing mix

Let simmer for 20 minutes. You can add more water for more soupyness.

This reheats very well. You can top with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Sometimes I put it in a wrap to reheat, when it is a bit more dry.

DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA