Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bowies and Beer people, come in

Remember last month when we talked about pumpkin ales? Well, I finally bought a bunch for a tasting. If I add these to the ones I've already had, I feel like I've gotten a pretty good selection.

I got:

Elysian Night Owl

Lakefront Pumpkin Lager

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Southern Tier Imperial Pumking

The guy at the beer store asked if I was having a tasting party. Yup. For one. Embarrassed

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns

Re: Bowies and Beer people, come in

• Yum - I haven't tried any of those. Let us know which ones you like best!
  • Please post your reviews!  I've been wanting some pumpkin beer lately.

And I think there is no shame in stocking up for yourself.  None at all.

• Awesome! H likes to try all the local beers so we've been buying them a six-pack at a time...at least you're only buying one at a time, lol.

He's had Geary's Autumn and Shipyard Pumpkinhead so far. He keeps buying the Geary's instead of trying new kinds but I want to try Sebago's Fall Harvest and Gritty's Halloween Ale too!

How was the Dogfish Head?

ETA: Shipyard makes a Smashed Pumpkin too that he likes...now I am trying to figure out the difference b/w the Smashed and the Pumpkinhead!

- namaste mothafockaaaas - image
  • Big Boss (our local brewery) also has a tasty Pumpkin ale called Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
  • Do these flavored beers still taste like beer?  I can't stand the taste or smell of beer, but I'm intrigued by the different flavors.
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't made my way to the beer store yet.  I need to get off my ass.  Maybe I'll go there instead of the gym tonight.  Hmmmm.

This is my siggy.
  • imageMortomo:
    Do these flavored beers still taste like beer?  I can't stand the taste or smell of beer, but I'm intrigued by the different flavors.

Yeah they do. If you don't like beer, I doubt you'll like the flavored ones. I tried H's pumpkin one and all I can taste is beer. Gross.

image "Evolutionary game theorists...ignoring beebees on the nest since 2005"
  • I haven't tried any of them yet. I bought them on the way home from happy hour last night! I will definitely report back.

I have had the Saranac and something else. DH likes the Blue Point, but I haven't tried that one. The Saranac was good- strong spices.

BBE- I will keep an eye out for the Shipyard.I like the idea of Smashed Pumpkin.

DL- You mentioned the Bog Boss before, but I haven't seen it here.

Morty-  Pumpkin ales still taste like beer. It's not like a cider. The pumpkin is generally subtle, if noticeable at all, and they often have pumpkin pie-ish spices.

eta: The other one I had was the SMuttynose.

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns
  • Stopped by the store. I'm drinking Starr Hill Boxcar. It is delish.
    This is my siggy.
  • imageBowiesInSpace:
    Stopped by the store. I'm drinking Starr Hill Boxcar. It is delish.

Oooohhh... A porter! Nice.

• Hi!  Sometimes I lurk on TIP, and I'm a beer girl so I just had to butt in on this.....Stick out tongue

I've never tried your first two varieties, but judging by your other choices I think you have excellent taste!  I'd be interested to see your reviews.  I suggest doing a cinnamon & sugar rim on your glass.

imageMuddled:

Remember last month when we talked about pumpkin ales? Well, I finally bought a bunch for a tasting. If I add these to the ones I've already had, I feel like I've gotten a pretty good selection.

I got:

Elysian Night Owl

Lakefront Pumpkin Lager

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin- It tastes great IMO but is verrry boozy.  9% ABV I think, which is about double for a regular beer.  You want to be careful with this one.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale- This is a middle-of-the-road choice.  Not too much pumpkin, just enough spice, reasonable price.

Southern Tier Imperial Pumking- This was my favorite pumpkin beer over the last two years because it used to taste just like pie: sweet and creamy.  This season however it just tastes like a spiced ale to me.  I'm kinda sad.  Like everything released by Southern Tier, it's expensive ($17 for a bomber bottle) and boozy (another 9%).

The guy at the beer store asked if I was having a tasting party. Yup. For one. Embarrassed

• Maybe they haven't branched out that far Muddled! That's too bad because their beer is pretty tasty!
  • imageangel28783:

Hi!  Sometimes I lurk on TIP, and I'm a beer girl so I just had to butt in on this.....Stick out tongue

I've never tried your first two varieties, but judging by your other choices I think you have excellent taste!  I'd be interested to see your reviews.  I suggest doing a cinnamon & sugar rim on your glass.

I would love to claim the excellent taste, but really I bought my beer store out of pumpkins, so they made all the tough decisions!

Stick around, Angel.