Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone have dark wood floors?

Am I going to freak out because they show every ounce of dust and dog hair?

Re: Anyone have dark wood floors?

• I do not, but I have heard this about dark wood (unless they're hand scraped, in which case it doesn't show as badly).  Does this mean you guys found a place?
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • YES!  pending inspection....

I'M A HOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The current owners were trapped in a hunter-green and burgundy Dynasty era motif so we need to redo flooring.  I love the look of dark wood floors though.  whoa is me.

• OMG!!  Congrats!  You better share pictures.

I love the look of dark wood floors too.  You should check out the cost difference for hand scraped flooring.  It also hides dings and dents and stuff a lot better.  Or just get a Roomba.

"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I would cutabitch for dark hard wood floors. I think they look baller.
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • Yes. They are not forgiving at all. Like, dust mop every dang day.

ETA: But, they are suuuper awesome and, to me, worth it. 

It is true that pit bulls grab and hold on. But what they most
    often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart

imageimage
  • We have 110-year-old dark wood floors, and they are a b!tch.  They look great when clean, which is never, not even after we vacuum and mop.  We've got 3 cats and 2 dogs, so that is part of it :)  I vacuum every.single.night after work, especially the stairs, because everything gets covered in little pet hair tumbleweeds.

We like these floors, but they have to go (they're 10 years past their lifespan, and it shows, in the form of holes through which you can drop quarters), and I am not sure that we'll do dark wood again.

Here's the most recent pic of our floors I can find.  They do look nice, but they're so much work.

Chip_&_Katie_0732

• I've heard the same and have a similar dylemna on the matter. I love the look, but I can't handle seeing my own grossness. A builder we met with last week mentioned something like 5k for hand scraped vs 1500 for engineered 'wood' floors. I liked the engineered look better actually (don't you judge me), but I didn't think about the dust/hair showing
  • We have dark hardwood and I love it!  I agree with what the others have told you but  I don't mind sweeping daily, though.
  • Sweeping daily sounds nightmarish to me.  They look pretty, but if they only look pretty with all that work, then what is the point?  That's no way to live.
    Mucho likes purple nails and purple cupcakes
  • We have them in our bedroom and honestly as much as I love the way they look, I don't know if I would want them in the rest of the house - for all the reasons already said.
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • I have cherry floors. They are darker, which I like, but I don't notice major problems like this.
  • Yes, you will freak out - particularly if your dog is light-med haired.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It was a nightmare for us. But then again, we have two white haired dogs. (Does this make me a dog racist?)

"If you wanna win then you shoulda put a hat on it. Don't be mad when you see a knit cap won it. If you wanna win then you shoulda put a hat on it."- Fenton

• I was going insane with our dark wood floors until I discovered the Swiffer Sweeper Vac.  I highly recommend it!
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt8f38f.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Hi.  Super late here.

I love the look, but they would drive me batshitcrazy.  My sister has them.  Even when clean, you end up seeing streaks (of course, I am sure that you can find different cleaners that would make that better).  But, not only do you see dust and scratches, you see footprints.

I would avoid.

But, congratulations and good luck!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have them in our new house...gorgeous, but yeah, they do show everything..though our dog does not shed which is nice. I vacum them once a week and that does the trick. I also use a swiffer duster in hard to reach areas like stairs and stair railings.
  • image jprw2010:
    I was going insane with our dark wood floors until I discovered the Swiffer Sweeper Vac.  I highly recommend it!

it sounds like i need this

• image wingedbride:
    I have cherry floors. They are darker, which I like, but I don't notice major problems like this.

I think ours might be cherry or cherry stained. God only knows since I am a transient. They aren't too dark and don't show everything.

Click me, click me!