Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Me = big chicken re:5k

My gf has been trying to get me to run a 5k with her for about a month or so. I am in NO way ready or have the desire to - simply doing C25K for health benefits & weight loss. BUT I said I'd do one with her someday and she keeps pressuring me about this one on Sunday. I missed early registration and can do it ON Sunday I am told, but I am scared. Of what you may ask? I have NO IDEA!!!! I have been jogging on the treadmill and did 2.15 miles in about 30 minutes today. No idea if that's great or not, but for ME it was....especially since I actually ran a stretch for 5 minutes straight. Part of me wants to to challenge myself and the other 1/2 is just afraid I won't come in under the hr "time limit".

Can you share your 1st 5k experiences? Especially is you are/were NOT a runner. TIA!

Pregnancy Ticker
Birthday
image image image image

Re: Me = big chicken re:5k

• I'll share.  I was NOT a runner when I started C25K and I signed up for a Turkey Trot 5k.  It ended up being a trail run, and I had never run on trails.  I had such a fun time!  There were so many people and so much enthusiasm.  The trail was gorgeous, and the weather was great for a run.  I started out nervous but I had a wonderful time.
    Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

image monkeybuttjunction image

• Just do it! 

There will be plenty of other walkers or walk/runners out there.  Don't start out too fast, but you can't help but run well on race day with all the camaraderie and spectators.

In a 5k there is typically one water stop @ the half way point. 

Do it and have fun!  You'll be fine!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you can do it! I ran my first 5k a little over a year ago. I had been running on my own for years, so the distance didn't scare me, but there was something about the "race" thing that intimidated me at first. My husband had run several races, so we signed up and ran together. It was a ton of fun.

If you can do 2.15 miles in 30 minutes, I'm sure you can do 3.10 miles in 60. Unless the course is incredibly hilly or the weather is going to be atrocious or something, I think you should give it a shot! You'll feel so accomplished when you cross that finish line!

• I have been doing C25K too.  I signed up for my first 5K on Dec. 3.  I am pretty slow, and I'm sure I look like a huge dork running, but I don't care :)  I say go for it!!  You are doing great and so what if you don't finish in the time limit.  You can try again another race.

I got passed by an elderly woman in my neighborhood a few mornings ago.  Haaa!  She inspired me to keep going!

• Where is it? I'm doing a 5k Sunday in Westchester.

I say, do it! Even if you have to walk some parts, it might actually get you more motivated, if you get bitten by the race bug.

?"All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."
    Visit The Nest! image
    Anniversary
    GP buddy to blenderdance
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not a runner.  Never will be.  My first (and most likely last) 5K was in August.  I came in near-last, because I got lost (followed a lady who apparently wasn't a fellow competitor).  Whoops.

However, I will say this - if you feel like you can do it (and if you are running 2mi in 30 minutes, you'll certainly finish under an hour), then do it!

• image AGsWife:

Where is it? I'm doing a 5k Sunday in Westchester.

I say, do it! Even if you have to walk some parts, it might actually get you more motivated, if you get bitten by the race bug.

It's at Six Flags in Jackson, NJ - the Susan Komen Race for the Cure. :o)  

Thanks for the words of inspiration ladies. I think it's the "race" word that IS intimidating me. I'm not normally the type to be nervous like this - I'm always the "try it one, if you don't like it don't do it again" person.  I will just have to suck it up and let you know how it goes.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Birthday
    image image image image
  • I too am doing my first 5k this sunday.  I am nervous as could be.  You can do it!!!Be confident and do it.  You will be amazing.. 
    Soon to be MRS. B- proof that dreams really do come true! FIRST 5-K 10/2/2011- Diva 5 k....37.48-im a work in progress
  • image PAgillian08:
    I too am doing my first 5k this sunday.  I am nervous as could be.  You can do it!!!Be confident and do it.  You will be amazing.. 

awww! thx - best of luck to u too!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Birthday
    image image image image
  • Don't think of it as a "race".  Think of it as a 3.1 mile run/walk for a great cause, that comes with food, water, and a free t-shirt!

There will be walkers (espeically for Race for the Cure), so you won't be alone if you have to stop and walk. 

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2evayr5.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/vghfv9.png[/IMG]<P><P>

Bazinga! <P><P>
    <a href="http://lizsyarn.blogspot.com/" mce_href="Blog" target="_new">Liz's Yarn</a>
  • image Psalm_23:

Don't think of it as a "race".  Think of it as a 3.1 mile run/walk for a great cause, that comes with food, water, and a free t-shirt!

There will be walkers (espeically for Race for the Cure), so you won't be alone if you have to stop and walk. 

I like this attitude!

I'm doing my first 5K next Sunday.  I go at about the same pace as you.  I guarantee you, you will not be the only walker/walk-runner by far.  Give it a try and let us know how it goes!  Besides, someone's got to be my guinea pig, right?  Might as well be you!

• I was not a runner when I did my first 5k, and walked/jogged a lot of it, but I finished! Now I'm up to running 10 miles straight training for my first 1/2 marathon on 10/23, I would have NEVER thought I'd be able to do either a year prior to running that 5k (2.5 years ago). Go for it and HAVE fun, you just might become addicted! :)
    2011 Races:

March 19th, St. Patty's Around the Loch Run 5k: 32:23, PR
    May 22nd, Get Your Rear in Gear 5k: 32:15, PR
    July 16th, University of Okoboji 10k: 1:09:33, Instant PR
    July 23rd, Warrior Dash, Minneapolis: 48:43
    October 23rd, RNR St. Louis Half Marathon, 2:40:11, Instant PR
    October 29th, Jack-O-Lantern 5k, 30:11, PR
  • Do it do it do it!!  You will have a blast plus it's for a good cause!  I did Couch to 5k and then signed up for a race and I seriously could not sleep the night before.  Crossing the finish line, I had tears in my eyes (SAP ALERT).  Anyway, it turns out that I love races and they really motivate me to get outside to run.  Do it!
  • Let me/us know how it goes.. i am so excited for you.. I picked up my bib yesterday.. and low and behold just for running and finishing i get a medal too.. cant wait to hear about yorus.. keep me posted!!!

Soon to be MRS. B- proof that dreams really do come true! FIRST 5-K 10/2/2011- Diva 5 k....37.48-im a work in progress