Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Vent- give me some perspective or come kick my ass.

I am so ready to tell this week to fvck off. I feel terrible complaining about everything that's going on, but I am at the end of my rope.

Monday I felt congested and had a horrible headache that was sinus related. DD1 starts complaining that her stomach hurts after school on Monday. I end up sleeping with DD1 at some point during the night= a sh!tty night of sleep.

Tuesday I wake up to a feverish DD1 screaming that she's going to throw up. I call the pedi and arm her with an empty coffee can to puke in for the ride to the pedi. She throws up twice in the can. She is diagnosed with strep, startes antibiotics and proceeds to spike a fever of 104 in the afternoon.

Wednesday I screwed my ankle up and ran on it. DD1 still sick. Can't go anywhere= going stir crazy at home.

Thursday- DD1 still home from school. DD2 wakes up with fever. Call pedi and get medicine called in to pharamacy. Ankle is terribly sore and I have to skip my run. DD2 spikes a 104 degree fever in the afternoon. I end up sleeping with DD2 last night.

Today- I am exhausted. DD2 is restless and I end up feeling like I've slept with a spider monkey. I find myself crying at 5:00 am because she won't sleep for any decent length of time and I am fed up and exhausted. I turn on the TV and try to go back to sleep while she occupies herself with cartoons. I finally am able to get DD1 back to school. I make plans to go grocery shopping only to find that DD2's fever is back when I return home from school dropoff. DD2 spends the morning growing these bumps all over her face. I am now convinced she has hand, foot and mouth and strep or just hand, foot and mouth. She is grumpy, tired, angry and takes it all out on me.

Add to all of this that DH started working on a truly amazing project for a client this week that will benefit us in multiple ways. Sounds great, right? It is great and I am so thankful, but he is at work for such long hours now and when he's home, he is on the phone almost the entire evening. I am so tired of it all!

I wanted a break tomorrow, but I have a mandatory conference thing at DD1's school tomorrow from 8:30-1:30 and a birthday party at 5. In between those times I have to haul ass to the grocery store and Target to buy groceries and gifts for yet another birthday party for Sunday. I seriously just want to lay in bed and cry and sleep. I also desperately want to get in my 11 mile run on Sunday.

Now kick me in the @ss and tell me to get over it and move on! Please!

Re: Vent- give me some perspective or come kick my ass.

• I have one more thing to add. I got to see a 3 day old baby this morning! One of DD1's classmate's mom had a little girl on Tuesday and brought her in this morning. She is amazing and sweet and so precious! It makes me want one more baby in the worst way. The one thing that is standing in the way of me getting all gung ho for a third is DD2. She is such an absolutely horrible sleeper that I think I would lose it if our third child was the same way. I am so exhausted right now that I feel like I've had almost 6 years of bad sleep built up and I wonder when it will end.
  • What is a "mandatory conference" at your daughter's school? WO you are an adult now. Don't buy into that shits. Don't go.

Also YOU don't have to buy groceries and go to Target--YOU have been caring for vomiting  children all week. YOU are taking a nap while your husband does this and YOU are taking the day off..Would you like to put him online now so as I can tell him this for you? Or will you do it. 

• image WhiteOrchid.:
    I have one more thing to add. I got to see a 3 day old baby this morning! One of DD1's classmate's mom had a little girl on Tuesday and brought her in this morning. She is amazing and sweet and so precious! It makes me want one more baby in the worst way. The one thing that is standing in the way of me getting all gung ho for a third is DD2. She is such an absolutely horrible sleeper that I think I would lose it if our third child was the same way. I am so exhausted right now that I feel like I've had almost 6 years of bad sleep built up and I wonder when it will end.

Wait what? All I'm going to say is:

Vomit in a coffee can. 

Stop: Visualize...Keep Visualizing...add in the scream of "I'm about to puuuukkkkkeeee!!!" Now imagine yourself, frazzled hair, with a spider monkey in the back of your mini-van--throwing up--in a coffee can...

Hold that memory. 

• Yeah, I'm with FMLB on this one.  Don't do shiit tomorrow.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • image foundmylazybum:

What is a "mandatory conference" at your daughter's school? WO you are an adult now. Don't buy into that shits. Don't go.

Also YOU don't have to buy groceries and go to Target--YOU have been caring for vomiting  children all week. YOU are taking a nap while your husband does this and YOU are taking the day off..Would you like to put him online now so as I can tell him this for you? Or will you do it. 

Thanks. You made me laugh and cry a little.

DD attends montessori, so they have this mandatory conference for new parents to attend. It goes through the whole montessori system. I honestly don't want to go, but it's one of those things where I'll probably be judged if I don't show since the school's director and a few board members are hosting it. 

I wish I could put DH on, but I am 99% sure that he's probably on the phone right now talking to a client. I could probably get him on later, but he would be talking on the phone while he types. 

I should make him do the grocery shopping tomorrow! Screw all of this. That is a fantastic idea! Not only am I going to send him grocery shopping, but he can take both kids with him. 

• I don't have kids.  Therefore, I cannot grasp fully what you are going through.  Just wanted to say that I have sincere sympathy for you after reading that.  I know you were not looking for pity but I'm giving it to you.
  • That totally sucks.  Do you have any family you could leave DDs with so you can get some alone time to run and go grocery shopping?  Personally, I'd be skipping the B-day parties if the kids are sick...no need to spread germs to everyone else and those illnesses are highly contageous.  Also, I'd ask the DH if he could take one day this weekend off the project to help you with the kids until you have the illness part under control.  Good luck!
  • image foundmylazybum:

image WhiteOrchid.:
    I have one more thing to add. I got to see a 3 day old baby this morning! One of DD1's classmate's mom had a little girl on Tuesday and brought her in this morning. She is amazing and sweet and so precious! It makes me want one more baby in the worst way. The one thing that is standing in the way of me getting all gung ho for a third is DD2. She is such an absolutely horrible sleeper that I think I would lose it if our third child was the same way. I am so exhausted right now that I feel like I've had almost 6 years of bad sleep built up and I wonder when it will end.

Wait what? All I'm going to say is:

Vomit in a coffee can. 

Stop: Visualize...Keep Visualizing...add in the scream of "I'm about to puuuukkkkkeeee!!!" Now imagine yourself, frazzled hair, with a spider monkey in the back of your mini-van--throwing up--in a coffee can...

Hold that memory. 

Okay, that for sure made me laugh! That is actually what this week has been like wrapped up into one scene. 

The coffee can thing is my own genius idea. It's actually fantastic because you can just put the lid on it and throw it away. It also is the perfect size for little mouths.

• For the record, I would not take them to parties contagious. DD1 was the one invited to both parties, and she is fine now. DD2 would have been staying home for those anyway and she's the only one who is still sick.

I know I should skip the parties. Here is a huge piece of advice for those who haven't had children yet-  never, NEVER tell them ahead of time about a birthday party. Wait until a few hours ahead of time. I had to learn that one the hard way. I am still on the fence. I hate not letting her attend class parties because she then hears about them on Monday, but I also really hate attending them myself. Boring.

• Wow, yeah, after going through all that with your kids, sorry, but there would be no thought in my mind of having another, LOL!   Of course I don't ever want them, so maybe I'm just biased :)

Anyway, that is a lot going on, hope your kids get better and you can get back to normal.

• image WhiteOrchid.:
    image foundmylazybum:

What is a "mandatory conference" at your daughter's school? WO you are an adult now. Don't buy into that shits. Don't go.

Thanks. You made me laugh and cry a little.

DD attends montessori, so they have this mandatory conference for new parents to attend. It goes through the whole montessori system. I honestly don't want to go, but it's one of those things where I'll probably be judged if I don't show since the school's director and a few board members are hosting it. 

I wish I could put DH on, but I am 99% sure that he's probably on the phone right now talking to a client. I could probably get him on later, but he would be talking on the phone while he types. 

I should make him do the grocery shopping tomorrow! Screw all of this. That is a fantastic idea! Not only am I going to send him grocery shopping, but he can take both kids with him. 

How do they KNOW you went though? It's Montessori so I'm guessing it's not some district wide 10 zillion parents situation so you aren't just a face in the crowd--but listen here missy--You have kids with the strep..who is to say YOU weren't feeling under the weather tomorrow--and for the good of the group--you decided to stay home? I mean I think that's what happened..RIGHT? Wink

Judgment can always be avoided by a simple twist of the truth--It's not a lie!!! Your ankle WAS hurting, and you HAVE been exposed!! It's totally possible the strep is coming...better to rest. 

• image WhiteOrchid.:

For the record, I would not take them to parties contagious. DD1 was the one invited to both parties, and she is fine now. DD2 would have been staying home for those anyway and she's the only one who is still sick.

I know I should skip the parties. Here is a huge piece of advice for those who haven't had children yet-  never, NEVER tell them ahead of time about a birthday party. Wait until a few hours ahead of time. I had to learn that one the hard way. I am still on the fence. I hate not letting her attend class parties because she then hears about them on Monday, but I also really hate attending them myself. Boring.

Okay again: Wait--

You aren't going to the party.

Either H is

OR H is dropping her off and picking her up. 

You are either taking a nap or getting a pedicure. 

Also, I think the coffee can is really old school (They still make coffee cans) but a good idea. Good thinking on the fly. 

• image foundmylazybum:
    image WhiteOrchid.:

For the record, I would not take them to parties contagious. DD1 was the one invited to both parties, and she is fine now. DD2 would have been staying home for those anyway and she's the only one who is still sick.

Oh, FMLB, you always know how to kick my ass in just the right way! I think I kind of feel an itch growing in my throat. (cough, cough). I feel a bit feverish. 

Thanks, ladies, for all the replies. I heap a ton of guilt on myself about what I should/could be doing for my kids/house/husband. It's a different sort of illness that I'm trying to cure. It takes quite a bit to break me, but I am there today. Hopefully I can get good sleep tonight and rest tomorrow. I feel like a night in the guess room ALONE might be part of the answer for tonight.

Either H is

Also, I think the coffee can is really old school (They still make coffee cans) but a good idea. Good thinking on the fly. 

• image foundmylazybum:
    image WhiteOrchid.:

Either H is

Oh, FMLB, you always know how to kick my ass in just the right way! I think I kind of feel an itch growing in my throat. (cough, cough). I feel a bit feverish. 

Thanks, ladies, for all the replies. I heap a ton of guilt on myself about what I should/could be doing for my kids/house/husband. It's a different sort of illness that I'm trying to cure. It takes quite a bit to break me, but I am there today. Hopefully I can get good sleep tonight and rest tomorrow. I feel like a night in the guess room ALONE might be part of the answer for tonight.

• And brush your hair! The spider monkey messed it up in the back! Left HugRight Hug
  • Left Hug  As another Mommy of two I can completely relate to your situation. I've definitely been there. And I tell ya what, I'd be bailing on the birthday party at the very least. I'm another one to put a lot of pressure/responsibility/guilt on myself for my family so I admit I'd be pretty tempted to drag myself to the school meeting. Don't do it. Just lay in bed and rest up for your run on Sunday.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/24b6p9h.jpg[/IMG]
  • image dCulv11:
    I don't have kids.  Therefore, I cannot grasp fully what you are going through.  Just wanted to say that I have sincere sympathy for you after reading that.  I know you were not looking for pity but I'm giving it to you.

Ditto- I'm tired just reading that! No ass kicking is needed, you need a break...or a drink! Hope everyone recovers soon!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Seconding the PP who said to skip the Bday parties.  Don't get everyone else and their kids sick.  That will give you time to grocery shop and take care of your sick family.  At the end of the day people will appreciate you not giving them a week like you've had!

• I think you have strep and can not possibly do anything tomorrow but relax!
  • image Sadlebred:
    I think you have strep and can not possibly do anything tomorrow but relax!

This.  I would go so far as to fake it old school style.  I'm picturing holding the thermometer near the bulb on the bedside lamp.

• I just wanna say that the "puke in a coffee can" trick is genius! I'm putting that in my "when/if I have kids" bank of ideas (though this story makes me kinda lean towards "if".)

Hope your girls start to feel better soon and that you get some rest! 

?"All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."
    Visit The Nest! image
    Anniversary
    GP buddy to blenderdance
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image WhiteOrchid.:

I am so ready to tell this week to fvck off. I feel terrible complaining about everything that's going on, but I am at the end of my rope.

Monday I felt congested and had a horrible headache that was sinus related. DD1 starts complaining that her stomach hurts after school on Monday. I end up sleeping with DD1 at some point during the night= a sh!tty night of sleep.

Tuesday I wake up to a feverish DD1 screaming that she's going to throw up. I call the pedi and arm her with an empty coffee can to puke in for the ride to the pedi. She throws up twice in the can. She is diagnosed with strep, startes antibiotics and proceeds to spike a fever of 104 in the afternoon.

Wednesday I screwed my ankle up and ran on it. DD1 still sick. Can't go anywhere= going stir crazy at home.

Thursday- DD1 still home from school. DD2 wakes up with fever. Call pedi and get medicine called in to pharamacy. Ankle is terribly sore and I have to skip my run. DD2 spikes a 104 degree fever in the afternoon. I end up sleeping with DD2 last night.

Today- I am exhausted. DD2 is restless and I end up feeling like I've slept with a spider monkey. I find myself crying at 5:00 am because she won't sleep for any decent length of time and I am fed up and exhausted. I turn on the TV and try to go back to sleep while she occupies herself with cartoons. I finally am able to get DD1 back to school. I make plans to go grocery shopping only to find that DD2's fever is back when I return home from school dropoff. DD2 spends the morning growing these bumps all over her face. I am now convinced she has hand, foot and mouth and strep or just hand, foot and mouth. She is grumpy, tired, angry and takes it all out on me.

Add to all of this that DH started working on a truly amazing project for a client this week that will benefit us in multiple ways. Sounds great, right? It is great and I am so thankful, but he is at work for such long hours now and when he's home, he is on the phone almost the entire evening. I am so tired of it all!

I wanted a break tomorrow, but I have a mandatory conference thing at DD1's school tomorrow from 8:30-1:30 and a birthday party at 5. In between those times I have to haul ass to the grocery store and Target to buy groceries and gifts for yet another birthday party for Sunday. I seriously just want to lay in bed and cry and sleep. I also desperately want to get in my 11 mile run on Sunday.

Now kick me in the @ss and tell me to get over it and move on! Please!

need me to pull the cancer card? Stick out tongue

I've been swamped at work (still working FT), DH is teaching non-stop; my kid's favorite word is NO and we are up to at least 5 tantrums a day, my hair is falling out, my gut is in revolt, my new chemo med causes shortness of breath which makes running nearly impossible... and I have round 9 of chemo on Monday.

In all seriousness though, it's OK to feel at the end of your rope and frustrated. Sometimes it all is overwhelming!  Hang in there - tomorrow really is another day. 

Oh, and wine helps ;)

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Epphd- :'( I knew someone would put me in my place. I am so sorry about your meds and the tantrums and the shortness of breath, etc. Time for me to buck up and get in with things. Thank you for sharing.
  • Definitely let your H handle some of that stuff tomorrow.  Any chance you can drop your daughter off at the birthday party?  At what point does that become acceptable?  

FWIW, in case I ever get the urge to have another baby, I'm holding onto the image of my almost 2 year old holding handfuls of his own poop and smashing it into the carpet.  "I squeeze it.  I stomp it."  Yeah... that's never gonna happen to me again.  We've also dealt with many stomach viruses.  I never quite understand when someone says "My kid has never thrown up."   

Hope next week is a better one. 

• image WhiteOrchid.:
    Epphd- :'( I knew someone would put me in my place. I am so sorry about your meds and the tantrums and the shortness of breath, etc. Time for me to buck up and get in with things. Thank you for sharing.

Dude, seriously - VENT away, I was really mostly kidding.  I sure as hell whined about tough weeks before I had cancer and will afterward.  Your week sounds incredibly stressful!! And don't even get me started on how much harder two kids would be compared to one...I can't even fathom :)

And seriously - WINE.  It's what's for dinner ;)

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.