Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Burned out vs just ticked off.....

So on paper I did fine in my Oly tri on Sunday.  I won my a/g and I'm stoked (yes I'm old) about that.  But in reality I sucked on the run.  Like I've never sucked before.  I walked a good deal of it.  I was at least a minute per mile slower than I wanted to be.  Yes, it was hot. Yes, the bike course was windy and I used up more energy on that than I expected to BUT......   I have upped my mileage to the nth degree.  I have run and run and run.  I trained SO much for this race.  To have sucked that bad on the run is killing me.  I had a 5 minute lead off of my main rival coming off of the swim.  She had a better bike, but somehow screwed up T2 so I still had a great lead going into the run.  She passed me around 4.5 miles.  Like I was standing still.  (she was nice though and patted my arm, it was obvious I was suffering)

Right now I'm still holding on to that disappointment and have no desire to run.  I'm in Calgary on a layover where it is 20 degrees cooler and under normal circumstances would be excited about going for a long run tomorrow.  Its like I'm pouting though. It isn't quite the end of the season, I have one maybe two more races.  Maybe taking the week off would be good. 

Re: Burned out vs just ticked off.....

• image taffy:

So on paper I did fine in my Oly tri on Sunday.  I won my a/g and I'm stoked (yes I'm old) about that.  But in reality I sucked on the run.  Like I've never sucked before.  I walked a good deal of it.  I was at least a minute per mile slower than I wanted to be.  Yes, it was hot. Yes, the bike course was windy and I used up more energy on that than I expected to BUT......   I have upped my mileage to the nth degree.  I have run and run and run.  I trained SO much for this race.  To have sucked that bad on the run is killing me.  I had a 5 minute lead off of my main rival coming off of the swim.  She had a better bike, but somehow screwed up T2 so I still had a great lead going into the run.  She passed me around 4.5 miles.  Like I was standing still.  (she was nice though and patted my arm, it was obvious I was suffering)

Right now I'm still holding on to that disappointment and have no desire to run.  I'm in Calgary on a layover where it is 20 degrees cooler and under normal circumstances would be excited about going for a long run tomorrow.  Its like I'm pouting though. It isn't quite the end of the season, I have one maybe two more races.  Maybe taking the week off would be good. 

Based on that... I would say yes, burnt out.  You can only push yourself for so long before you can't cope anymore.  Add the changes in conditions from what you're used to training in (wind, humidity, temperature) and it's not too much of a surprise that you didn't do as well as you'd hoped.

You're right, the season isn't over yet.  You're also right that taking a week off would be good.  You're not going to lose your endurance if you take a week to relax and recover.  It doesn't mean you have to sit around doing nothing either.  Personally, I like doing a week or two where my cardio is something aerobic after a race.  Ater that, I usually feel like running again. 

• i am curious about your times.  i think you are probably very good.

but here is the thing: even very good athletes have sub-par races. i dont exaggerate when i say that probably 50% of my races leave me feeling slightly disappointed, if not very disappointed.  if every race was your best race, you would be super-human.

i am also curious about how many races you have done this season.  competing is hard, not only physically, but mentally. i bet you are ready for a break.  heck, i only did ONE triathlon and i am ready for a break!

congrats on your age group win. it should be nice to know that you can have a bad race and STILL win your age group!

Training blog<a href="http://www.twinsandtriathlons.blogspot.com">Twins and Triathlons</a>

Post Partum PRs:
    5k: 18:32; 5k with stroller: 20:32; Half Mary: 1:32:40; Oly tri: 2:28:52; sprint tri (750meter swim): 1:11:49

Up Next:
    Breaking all my PRs[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt3205c.aspx[/img][/url]
  •  If you're fatigued (and perhaps overreached/overtrained), running more would be digging yourself into a deeper hole and just end up taking longer to recover from. Maybe you're not overreached/overtrained, but if you're questioning it- then it's just best to nip it in the bud. Rest is a good thing. Take the week off and enjoy it.
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/24b6p9h.jpg[/IMG]