Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

26 hours

Who has two thumbs and went overnight in his big boy underwear?

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman

Re: 26 hours

• That is great! He is really adorable Mouse.

• wahoo!

And I love this picture. he is looking so grown up. We have not seen nearly enough pics of him 

• Who has two middle fingers and is pointing them in your direction right now?

:)

Just kidding.  Nice work.

And yeah.  He is super cute.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • He's so cute.

We are not ready for potty training yet.  I'm so sick of Pampers. 

• Why do we never get to see pictures of your child?  Were you ashamed of him until just now? :P
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • He's such a big boy! And adorable to boot.
  • And by the way Mouse:  what is the deal with the not sleeping?  I'm hoping it's a short-lived phase.
  • mouse, he looks JUST like you in that picture. so sweet!

and congratulations big boy!

• image CaliopeSpidrman:
    Why do we never get to see pictures of your child?  Were you ashamed of him until just now? :P

Well, dude. Until recently he was pissing his pants on the regular. 

----

Kay, I don't know. I just don't know. He took a twenty minute nap at 10:30.

----

Thanks everyone! Despite not sleeping more than 5 hours at a time for the last week, I think I'll keep him.

Especially if he's stopped pissing his pants. 

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • yay!

I still haven't given Liza the go-ahead on underwear at night. I figure after I finish the last box of pull-ups I bought, we'll go for it. She's def completely daytime potty trained. She likes to get up in the morning, take off her pull-up (which is always wet), and yell, "look mommy!  I didn't tee tee in my pull-up last night!!"

um, yeah.  you did. shut up, please.

Liza also likes to make daily resoultions about potty training out of the blue:  "Mommy. I'm not going to tee tee or poo poo in panties ANY MORE." 

Okay.  You've been potty trained for at least a month now, but okay.

• image pdxmouse:

Kay, I don't know. I just don't know. He took a twenty minute nap at 10:30.

Thankfully Ian's still great about the long afternoon nap.

• image pdxmouse:

Thanks everyone! Despite not sleeping more than 5 hours at a time for the last week, I think I'll keep him.

Especially if he's stopped pissing his pants. 

Okay.  I think this is my problem.  If given options, I am choosing sleep over potty training.  That kid can wear diapers until other kids mock him into therapy if it means my sleep doesn't suffer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How is he old enough for potty training!?! These kids grow up too damn fast. But yay!
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • I don't know what I'd do without the mid afternoon nap. Miles still sleeps for 2 hrs. My niece has stopped napping and becomes a monster by 7 pm. How do you know when a kid is ready for potty training? I assume Miles isn't close yet, but he tells me when he's gone poo. Though usually it involves him putting his hand down his diaper to give me visual confirmation. Not pleasant.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • November -- if you want the long version: 

At about 15 months we started taking him into the bathroom with us to give him an idea of the process. After a month or so we started plopping him on the toilet after us and letting him try. Made a big deal about it and gave him stickers whenever he did.

Around 18 months we'd do some commando afternoons. We stripped him from the waist down and he was much more aware of what was happening. He'd give little tugs around the time he'd go, so we'd rush to the potty. Sometimes it was a false alarm, but always lots of praise for letting us know and we'd both come in and clap if he got it for real.

Then we got him all excited big boy underwear and more stickers, more praise, a potty book, etc. A couple of weeks ago he started being very consistent about saying "poo poo pee pee" and getting very upset at the idea of going in his diaper. Last night he said he wanted "James, no diaper! James!" (Thomas the Train underwear). It helps that he's been dry at nights since he was a year.

I had hoped for getting it wrapped up by age two, but we only missed it by a month. 

• I hate you. My kid still wets the bed about half the time. After every package of pullups I resolve that we're done, but after a few days in a row of midnight bed changing and washing pee soaked sheets, I give in and buy more.

he's like Liza with his insistence that he didn't pee and promises that he won't.

• Wendy, I hear you. I was worried that Bug was going to size out of Pullups before she had a dry night. I have no idea why Dimi stopped wetting at night so early.

• Will will have a streak of dry nights, like five in a row, and we'll be all, "Okay, maybe if he goes another few nights we'll give it a try." Then he'll have a fully loaded pull up for the following week.