North Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Do you have any irrational fears?

I watched MTV's True Life: I'm a Little Person my senior year of high school and the girl's boyfriend said his biggest fear was parking lots. That someone would run over his little person gf as they were backing out of a parking spot because they didn't see her. So she always rode a scooter with a tall flag on it in parking lots.

I have spent the last eight years since I've watched that afraid that I was going to run over a little person who wasn't using a flag in a parking lot. Seriously, I think about it everytime I'm backing out of a parking spot. I was just at Publix and I thought of it... like I always do.

Re: Do you have any irrational fears?

• I think my fear of snakes is irrational. 

Also, in the past couple of years, I've developed an irrational fear of flying, mainly just before and during take-off.  After that I'm generally fine.  I have things I do to keep me calm like stay busy with a crossword or sudoku, time the first couple of minutes, keep an eye on the flight attendants for any warning signs from them that something is not right...

• I refuse to hang any extremity off my bed for fear of the "It" clown eating my arm/foot off. I obviously know that's not going to happen, but it freaks me the eff out. When I was younger I always thought that dinosaurs were going to bust through the floor boards of a car and eat me because of Jurassic Park. Luckily, I grew out of that one.
    Photobucket
  • I have a few or maybe several.

I'm terrified of aliens. I can't watch scary alien movies, I don't like being outside at night and looking up into the sky and I used to have nightmares about aliens as a child.

I'm afraid of escalators. I'm much better now than I was a even a few years ago. I'm afraid I'll get caught somehow getting on or off and fall.

I'm afraid of falling down stairs and tripping while walking. I'm very clumsy and I can sometimes imagine myself falling.
    *Old Nestie, New Name*

• imageLoonyLunaLovegood:
    I refuse to hang any extremity off my bed for fear of the "It" clown eating my arm/foot off. I obviously know that's not going to happen, but it freaks me the eff out. When I was younger I always thought that dinosaurs were going to bust through the floor boards of a car and eat me because of Jurassic Park. Luckily, I grew out of that one.
    I'm the same way.

I also run up basement stairs as opposed to just walking out of fear that something will chase me when I turn my back. I don't think I'll ever outgrow it. I do it coming down our stairs in the house too.

imageDaisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • while I don't think it's irrational, some people think my fear of whales is... 
    Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11
  • imageashleemw:
    while I don't think it's irrational, some people think my fear of whales is... 
    Yes Awesome.
    imageDaisypath Graduation tickers Anniversary
  • OK, I have more and irrational ones.

I do the same as L3...I even sleep with the covers up to my neck.  My hands and feet can't be out of the covers let alone hanging off the bed *shudder*.  Poltergeist ruined me for life on this one.  It really must be a clown thing.

All closet doors must be shut completely before I go to sleep....again, Poltergeist.

I still won't say Bloody Mary or Candyman into a mirror three times.

• Did y'all see the episode of ER where the crazy guy hid behind the door and stabbed Carter and had already stabbed Lucy? Every now and then when I walk through a doorway, especially into a dark room, I freak out that he's behind the door and he's going to stab me.

Don't even get me started on poltergeist. I put my robe over my TV when I went to sleep for years after I saw that movie.

ETA: Another movie one. I won't hang my feet off a dock if they're going to touch the water. I'm afraid piranhas are going to eat my feet off to the bone.

All of mine come from the movies or TV. Damn you stupid scary movies and TV shows!

Photobucket
  • I don't like sitting in the water by myself waiting for the rope to get taut when I go water skiing in a lake.  I know Jaws is rushing to eat me.
  • imageMadisen:
    I don't like sitting in the water by myself waiting for the rope to get taut when I go water skiing in a lake.  I know Jaws is rushing to eat me.

i don't go in lakes. or the ocean, past my knees.

also, i hate being in a pool alone. i won't swim laps at the Y if there's no one else there. cause of alligators and sharks and whatnot. oh, and of course, whales.  

Love 9.3.03 Marriage 12.1.07 Baby Carriage 8.3.11
  • In a public restroom, I have to be able to see inside the entire stall before I will go in, especially at rest stops. I'm convinced I'm going to find a dead body.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealwaysfare:
    In a public restroom, I have to be able to see inside the entire stall before I will go in, especially at rest stops. I'm convinced I'm going to find a dead body.
    This made me LOL. I thought you were going to think someone was hiding in the stall to get you. I didn't expect dead body at all!
    Photobucket
  • It will most likely be a hooker who died of a drug overdose, in case you were wondering.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Certain bridges freak me out & I think my car is going to go flying over the side & into the water - specifically the Shands Creek Bridge & the Buckman. Freak. Me. Out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will not get into water I can't see through.
  • I will not answer the door if I don't know who it is, even if it's obviously a sales person or Jehovahs Witness or something, because I think they are either going to come in and kill/rape me or they are casing our house to come back later and break in. One time my dad was visiting and I answered the door and it was someone offering carpet cleaning. For weeks, I waited for our house to get robbed.

My car doors have to always be locked, even going 80 on the highway, for fear of getting car jacked. If we're at the gas station and DH goes in to get a drink and I wait in the car, I have to lock the door. I also always look in my backseat before getting in my car to make sure there's no one hiding in there.

Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSoon2BMrsSikes:

My car doors have to always be locked, even going 80 on the highway, for fear of getting car jacked. If we're at the gas station and DH goes in to get a drink and I wait in the car, I have to lock the door.

This is me.  Luckily, my car has a feature where the doors lock automatically when I reach 9 MPH.  I have to lock the doors in DH's car because he never does.

Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • imageMadisen:
    I don't like sitting in the water by myself waiting for the rope to get taut when I go water skiing in a lake.  I know Jaws is rushing to eat me.

I hope this isn't in FL because this is a very real fear! Except instead of Jaws, it's:

Ditto whoever said no getting in any body of water past the knees except a pool.

• imageSoon2BMrsSikes:

I will not answer the door if I don't know who it is, even if it's obviously a sales person or Jehovahs Witness or something, because I think they are either going to come in and kill/rape me or they are casing our house to come back later and break in. One time my dad was visiting and I answered the door and it was someone offering carpet cleaning. For weeks, I waited for our house to get robbed.

My car doors have to always be locked, even going 80 on the highway, for fear of getting car jacked. If we're at the gas station and DH goes in to get a drink and I wait in the car, I have to lock the door. I also always look in my backseat before getting in my car to make sure there's no one hiding in there.

I'm the same with both of these, though I don't think they are totally irrational. It was just last year that someone got car-jacked at a gas station as a passenger when the driver left the car running -- pretty sure it was our general area (local news).

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." - Dale Carnegie
  • imageLucille Bluth:

imageMadisen:

I hope this isn't in FL because this is a very real fear! Except instead of Jaws, it's:

Ditto whoever said no getting in any body of water past the knees except a pool.

Oh no.  This is back in Cali and Arizona lakes.  There's no way I'd step in any fresh body of water out here.  Water skiing on the St. John's or Intracoastal? No

• When i'm driving at night out near my mom's house (she lives in the country) I'm convinced that someone is going to be running from the cops, run out from the woods, in front of my car, and try to kill me.  I have a panic attack until I'm in the house.

The last time I had to go to Jacksonville for work I stayed with my mom the night before.  I had to leave at like 5:00am to get to my class on time and drove through Lawtey.  I was CONVINCED that someone had escaped from the prison, was running from the cops, and was going to find me on the road alone and kill me.

• imagePantsOffDanceOff:
    I will not get into water I can't see through.

My mom feels the same way.  I don't think she's been in the ocean in decades.

• imageMrs_W_Pookie:
    imageSoon2BMrsSikes:

My car doors have to always be locked, even going 80 on the highway, for fear of getting car jacked. If we're at the gas station and DH goes in to get a drink and I wait in the car, I have to lock the door.

This is me.  Luckily, my car has a feature where the doors lock automatically when I reach 9 MPH.  I have to lock the doors in DH's car because he never does.

My new car auto locks as soon as you put it in reverse or drive. Love this feature 

Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker