International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pet Friendly Housing in UK

Is this hard to find?  I've been looking online just to see what is out there but housing sites don't seem as widely available as they are in the US.

Re: Pet Friendly Housing in UK

• Our options were definitely limited when we were looking for a flat that would take our two cats. We ended up finding unfurnished ones mainly. 
    DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/15gf6sz.jpg[/IMG]
  • image frlcb:
    Our options were definitely limited when we were looking for a flat that would take our two cats. We ended up finding unfurnished ones mainly. 

That's what our main drawback is to DH taking a job over there.  We have 2 bigger dogs (60ish and 80ish lbs) and I'm thinking it's going to be a pain to find a place to live.  We will most likely get moving expenses reimbursed so we can take our stuff but it's hard to even find things online that could be a possibility. 

• Which sites are you using? Have you tried www.rightmove.co.uk? That one combines results from a variety of lettings agents, so it can be a bit easier than going to all of the individual lettings agent sites.
  • image ooolalalolo:
    Which sites are you using? Have you tried www.rightmove.co.uk? That one combines results from a variety of lettings agents, so it can be a bit easier than going to all of the individual lettings agent sites.

Thanks for the tip!  Yeah I was looking at different letting agents by googling.

• RightMove is really good.   People here LOVE dogs, so it should be possible to find stuff.  But just like in the states you should be prepared to pay a higher security deposit as well as be ready to pay for any damages.  

Also, I THINK there are different rules (or at least social norms) about keeping your dog in your yard?  Some friends of mine have a siberian husky, and had a really hard time getting an electric fence installed for their yard (this is how the dog was trained to stay in the yard in the states).  Their neighbors complained that they were being cruel to their dog because of the shock collar.....

DSC_9275
  • image Avion22:

RightMove is really good.   People here LOVE dogs, so it should be possible to find stuff.  But just like in the states you should be prepared to pay a higher security deposit as well as be ready to pay for any damages.  

Also, I THINK there are different rules (or at least social norms) about keeping your dog in your yard?  Some friends of mine have a siberian husky, and had a really hard time getting an electric fence installed for their yard (this is how the dog was trained to stay in the yard in the states).  Their neighbors complained that they were being cruel to their dog because of the shock collar.....

Yeah I totally expect that (and that site is great... thanks for the rec!)  We are so lucky we found the place we live now because the owners of our condo love pets and didn't care that we had 2.  We didn't have to pay anything extra to have them here and it's cheap for the area.  I'm pretty sure we won't get this lucky again.

• rightmove.co.uk is a great site as mentioned before.  We were able to find a good amount here to choose from that allowed pets.  
  • image Emily523:
    rightmove.co.uk is a great site as mentioned before.  We were able to find a good amount here to choose from that allowed pets.  

How did you guys work that out with moving?  Did you take the pets with you and then look for a house?  Go first and have your pets come later?

• image shesadreamr:

image Emily523:
    rightmove.co.uk is a great site as mentioned before.  We were able to find a good amount here to choose from that allowed pets.  

How did you guys work that out with moving?  Did you take the pets with you and then look for a house?  Go first and have your pets come later?

My H was already over here living in an apartment temporarily and I was back in the US searching rightmove for houses that allowed pets for him to go look at with a realtor.  We did end up coming over here first and then bringing our dog back with us a couple months later after we were in the US for Christmas because we had to wait 6 months from the time her blood work was done for the Pets scheme.  I assume you know about that??  If you need more info let me know.  

• image Emily523:
    image shesadreamr:

image Emily523:

My H was already over here living in an apartment temporarily and I was back in the US searching rightmove for houses that allowed pets for him to go look at with a realtor.  We did end up coming over here first and then bringing our dog back with us a couple months later after we were in the US for Christmas because we had to wait 6 months from the time her blood work was done for the Pets scheme.  I assume you know about that??  If you need more info let me know.  

Yup and luckily for us they are changing it as of January 1, 2012!  They have to have the 15 digit chip (which they already happen to have) and have rabies at least 21 days before you come. I'm pretty sure there is no blood test anymore either, at least for EU approved countries which the continental US is.