Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where to stay for fall getaway in Northeast?

Hello travel gurus!  My husband and I are planning a romantic mid-week getaway for mid-October in the Northeast.  We basically want to relax and scope out some fall foliage under a 6-hour drive from our home in Haddonfield, NJ (near Philly).

Whereabouts we?re considering include Rhinebeck, NY and the Berkshires in MA.  We?d like to stay in a B&B or at least not a traditional hotel/motel, and we?d like to not break the bank (hopefully less than $200/night on lodgings). 

Any recommendations on a particular town, place to stay, stuff to do?  I?ve been googling like crazy but would appreciate any personal anecdotes or advice.  Thanks in advance!

Re: Where to stay for fall getaway in Northeast?

• Hurricane Irene nailed the Berkshires and Vermont last weekend.  www.masslive.com has local news on the Springfield (MA) metro area. 

North Conway NH and Freeport ME escaped the worst of it and have lots to do and see in the area.  North Conway would be a 5 hour drive from NYC and Freeport a 6.5 hour drive from NYC.  I have not driven to Philly. 

• I like Northampton (MA)-- which isn't exactly in the mountains of the Berkshires, but is a close drive and a fun scene.  I like the Hotel Northampton-- it's not a B&B, but it's also more local than chain, so might be worth checking out.

Some Berkshires sites I enjoy are the Bridge of Flowers (Shellburne MA), Atkins Farms (apple and pumpkin picking every fall of my youth :)): http://www.atkinsfarms.com/.  Brattleboro, VT is close by and also pretty/quaint.

Enjoy!

• All good points.  Thanks!
  • I know you said the NE, but if those areas are still recovering from the hurricane, the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA is another option within a 6-hour drive from you that fits what you're looking for.  Charlottesville and Lexington are both very nice towns with history, cute shops, and good food.  The scenery is beautiful and there are tons of hiking trails (plus plenty of wineries).  Mid-October should be nice weather - could still be on the warm side, or might be chilly already, but neither extreme.