Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Vermont post-Irene?

We're thinking of heading out this weekend to maybe Burlington, but the news said that Vermont was hit really hard by flooding from the hurricane.  Looking at the news, it seems like most of it is southern Vermont, but Burlington IS on a lake.

Any news on that area?  I'm not terribly familiar with Vermont, so geographically the towns don't mean anything to me. 

I swim because I'm too damned sexy for a sport that requires real clothing.

Re: Vermont post-Irene?

• my father's wife's parents are stuck in their vacation home (on a mountain) without electricity or water and can't get out because the roads have been washed away. i dont know where they are in relation to burlington but it's not a very big state. i'd say save it for another weekend unless you find out for sure that burlington's ok.
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image roar:

We're thinking of heading out this weekend to maybe Burlington, but the news said that Vermont was hit really hard by flooding from the hurricane.  Looking at the news, it seems like most of it is southern Vermont, but Burlington IS on a lake.

Any news on that area?  I'm not terribly familiar with Vermont, so geographically the towns don't mean anything to me. 

I'd be doing a lot of Googling. You can find out where things are geographically and also find local news reports about flooding situations pertinent to where you're thinking of visiting. My guess is, however, that you'll want to postpone a Vermont trip.

• Why don't you call a local hotel or B&B and ask them?  I think they'd be pretty truthful about the conditions.
    I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • image Rock-n-Voll:
    Why don't you call a local hotel or B&B and ask them?  I think they'd be pretty truthful about the conditions.

Probably a good idea. 

I know the DEC has posted that all of the hiking trails in the eastern zone of the Adirondacks are closed "indefinitely" in the wake of Irene, and two of the lodges are inaccessible.  Vermont is potentially in even worse shape.  One of my coworkers lives there, and had to drive down to the Mass Pike and then west because it wasn't possible to drive west across the state.

• I live in VT and Winooski outside of Burlington was pretty hard hit.  Burlington should be fine, but I would call some hotels and B&Bs to ask.  I live farther south in Quechee and our little town was wiped out, along with the majority of the towns surrounding me.  Fortunately our house was spared and fortunately, I am heading out on a 10 day vacation to the tropics to get away from it all!

I would think Burlington though would be ok, and the interstates to get there are all fine.  And it is a lovely little city with a lot to do, I miss living there a lot!