Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My experiment with 20% vinegar as a weed killer

I couldn't find 20% vinegar in town (I didn't look too hard, time contraints and all) so I bought it off Amazon through AG Organics.  I got it fast and it was as cheap as I could find on the web.  My only complaint was I had to pay a lot in shipping.  I think I will buy it in bulk next time, just didn't want to do that if it didn't work.

On Saturday morning I put the vinegar into a garden sprayer and sprayed the weeds in my front rocks at 8:30am.  We left not long after that to go school clothes shopping.  We got back at 1:30 and all the weeds that I had sprayed (and a small piece of grass that I accidentally sprayed were dead!  So I consider it a huge success!!  I took pictures, but I don't have them with me.  But, even without seeing it in person or seeing the pictures I've convinced DH that there is absolutely no need to use Round-up or any other chemical on the rocks!  This is huge because this has been a small point of contention for us.

So all the studies that said that 20% vinegar worked as well as Round-Up lied, it worked BETTER than Round-Up because Round-Up takes like 24 hours to kill the weeds and the 20% vinegar only took less than 5. 

Now to find a place in town to get it...  Or convince a place near me to carry it. 

And just to clarify 20% vinegar is not the same as kitchen white vinegar.  That vinegar is only 5-6%.  Technically you can boil it down or freeze it to make 20%.  I only specify that because a lot of people I've told asked me why I didn't just dilute kitchen vinegar to make 20% vinegar.  The studies that showed 20% was as effective as Round-Up also showed that kitchen vinegar alone has a neglible effect. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10

Re: My experiment with 20% vinegar as a weed killer

• DH uses white distilled vinegar (think it's only 5%) mixed with salt for the weeds.  I would say that it is AS effective as Round-up as it takes a bit to really work.  I will definitely pass the 20% vinegar idea along to DH.  We don't like using chemicals anywhere where the dog or kids will be.  DH is all about the many uses of vinegar so he'll enjoy this!!
  • Awesome!!  I have plastic down on my weeds now, but if it doesn't work completely I'll do this too.
  • Thanks for sharing!  I might give it a try, but I also have weed problems in mulch, so I'll have to test and see if it discolors the mulch or anything. 

Are you united with the CCOKCs?

• FWIW- I've used boiling hot water on weeds before and it works well too, and does not involve any chemicals or shipping at all.  I just heat it up in my teakettle, take it outside and pour it on the weeds.
  • imagevelocitygrl:
    FWIW- I've used boiling hot water on weeds before and it works well too, and does not involve any chemicals or shipping at all.  I just heat it up in my teakettle, take it outside and pour it on the weeds.

I've done that too, but I have a lot of weeds and making as much boiling water as I need for it would take me days.  I'm not even joking.   Plus it seemed like the weeds came back quickly with the boiling water method.  I'm hoping this keeps them at bay for longer. 

• You may find more listings for sale of this product if you google "acetic acid 20%" - this is actually what the chemical is called. And it is an excellent herbicide. Just a note of caution: you all may already know this, but 20% AA can easily burn skin and damage tissues. Wear gloves when handling, don't breathe in the vapor or any dried dust, and definitely keep away from kids.
    2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageColoRxGirl:
    You may find more listings for sale of this product if you google "acetic acid 20%" - this is actually what the chemical is called. And it is an excellent herbicide. Just a note of caution: you all may already know this, but 20% AA can easily burn skin and damage tissues. Wear gloves when handling, don't breathe in the vapor or any dried dust, and definitely keep away from kids.

This just made me giggle a bit.  I'm a chemical engineer.  I originally tried googling 20% acetic acid, but all the hits were actually for 20% vinegar.  I got more hits googling 20% vinegar.  Go figure.  I did wear gloves and long pants and closed toed shoes while spraying it and was careful not to breathe it in.  And it is stored in the garage away from the kids. 

• Sorry. Embarrassed Wasn't trying trying to talk down to anyone. Just worried not all folks might know about the chemical properties of this stuff.
    2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers