Upstate NY Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: Thoughts on "no kids allowed"

• I have mixed feelings on this.  I don't mind kids at most places most of the time.  I bring my nephew to all sorts of places and he's only 15 months.  I just feel that parents need to be responsible and not let their kids run around or scream at the top of their lungs.  I feel that most parents do a fine job with that. 

On the other hand, I've been to places where I wanted to say something because the kid was out of hand.  For example, I went to see the last HP movie on Sunday.  There were these 2 women that brought 2 little kids (maybe 1 and 2 years old) to the movie.  My first thought was why would you do that?  It's not really a movie for that age.  Then they started talking and one younger one started screeching and it just made the movie not enjoyable.   Thankfully they took their kids out and left the theater.  People were starting to shush them.

Also, I was at Denny's a while back.  While I feel Denny's is completely family friendly, this one kid kept yelling and kicking my seat.  I said something after a while but the parent (I assume they were the parents) just shrugged it off.  

I guess, all in all, this "no kids allowed" shouldn't be necessary if people made kids mind their manners.  Unfortunately, there are people that don't out there that ruin it for the rest of the population.

• I think something like a resort, sure.

Something like a restaurant, maybe if it is 'fancy'.  What I don't understand is half the times I go in a restaurant, they sit us and our two kids like smack dab next to a table that doesn't have kids - so we ask to get moved.  I know restaurants have a system for tables, but why not just have a kids section? 

Most restaurants have a room or separate sections, so why not just designate one for families with younger kids?  It would work out for both parties, I wouldn't be a nervous wreck trying to keep the kids quiet, and their other patrons would be happier.

• I think it's a reflection of our society.  There is such a sense of "entitlement" that causes many people to think only about what they want rather than how their actions affect others.  The ones who will protest being excluded are usually the ones who aren't watching their kids in the first place and therefore are the reason places are starting to ban kids.  Eva is a very well behaved child but you just never know therefore we don't bring her places that aren't appropriate for a 3 year old and remove her from places that are appropriate if she is having a meltdown or misbehaving.  It's common sense but unfortunately a lot of people are seriously lacking that these days.  :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image Read2Me:
      It's common sense but unfortunately a lot of people are seriously lacking that these days.  :)

This exactly!

Oh and Arctic - it would be like separating smoking and non-smoking.  

• I think "no aszholes of any age allowed" is a better idea.  I did see some instances where kids didn't belong (in Vegas) for their own safety though.

For instance, kids were not allowed in a few restaurants we went to did not allow children under 5, but thank goodness they didn't!  There were some really tiny dresses on some women and some interesting conversations going on.

When we can, we do "adult only" type places.  Like the pool area that was 21 and over only.  It is nice to have options.

• AAAAAAAaaaaaa-MEN!!!!!

I love children and can't wait to have a few of my own...... however..... there are certain places (upscale restaurants, concerts, some movies, first class seats on an airplane, etc)... where I would never want to even bring my own kids, let alone deal with someone else's.  There is nothing more irritating that screaming little monsters throwing a wicked tanrtum smack in the middle of your date night or romantic vacation.

I would imagine that it would be even more maddening to a parent.... think about it.... you hunt down a babysitter to watch your children while you go out for a nice dinner and movie with your hubby... instead of candle light and sweet nothings, you have kids screaming and throwing things at the table behind you during dinner... whiney brats kicking the back of your chair all throughout the movie... sheesh... you may as well have saved the babysitter fee and brought your own.

If everyone had the common sense to understand what types of places are not appropriate for children and had well-mannered, well-behaved children in the places that are appropriate, this would not be an issue... but sadly, it seems many are lacking that common sense. 

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image Mrs.AngelaA:

I think "no aszholes of any age allowed" is a better idea. 

I second this!!!!!! 

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Paying big bucks to sit in first class should mean, no distruptive behavior from anyone, regardless of age.

Okay, I will try to resist posting a million things here!

• I don't mind "no kids" at all. I realize I don't have any, but there are times when I want to scream because I'm trying to enjoy something and there's a kid screaming/acting out. I am a teacher so I have a pretty high patience but unfortunately people don't have the discretion or common courtesy as much anymore. We were at a nice restaurant in DC once and there was a child screaming, SCREAMING. Parents said "we're paying just as much as all of you to be here" and refused to leave. It was awful.
  • This post reminded me (of course, lol) of a SATC episide, which pretty much sums up my opinion.

Miranda: Since when did it become appropriate to bring babies to restaurants?
    Steve: oh, come on. He's cute.
    Miranda: Yeah. God invented baby-sitters for a reason.
    Steve: I don't think it's so bad. It's nice to have babies around.
    Miranda: Don't get me wrong. I love babies, but not with my soup. 
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • image Honeydew1894:

This post reminded me (of course, lol) of a SATC episide, which pretty much sums up my opinion.

Miranda: Since when did it become appropriate to bring babies to restaurants?
    Steve: oh, come on. He's cute.
    Miranda: Yeah. God invented baby-sitters for a reason.
    Steve: I don't think it's so bad. It's nice to have babies around.
    Miranda: Don't get me wrong. I love babies, but not with my soup. 

Love it!  

• image Mrs.AngelaA:

Paying big bucks to sit in first class should mean, no distruptive behavior from anyone, regardless of age.

Okay, I will try to resist posting a million things here!

Not being able to afford first class though doesn't mean you should have to deal with disruptive behavior in coach class.  ITA agree with you that it's assholes and unattentive parents that are the problem.

However I will continue to fly business and first class with my child when I can afford it.  Just because I have a child does not mean I have to be stuck in coach.  If I'm paying just as much for those seats I'm entitled to use them.  I would argue that DD is actually better behaved in first class (not that she is awful in coach) because I have more room and I'm more comfortable, thereby making her flight more comfortable.

I've had this debate on other boards and no one is going to change my mind (not that I'm debating with you Ang).  If there is a quiet/non child section, fine, cool, no problem.  However if my child is allowed to be there I'm going to take her there and teach her how to behave and what manners are appropriate.

And....should she have a melt down, well hell I'm never going to see these people again Wink  Maybe this is why I'm not invited to any of your fancy Saratoga outings Stick out tongue And when are we going for hummus? lol!

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/i/in4tofau9.png[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/7/71kdg0nzi.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • we were chatting about this on the bump and this is my thought:

I think people overall are less tolerant of each other- people without kids think they shouldn't have kids anywhere and people with kids think everyone should love their little monster and deal no matter how bad their kid is behaving...people should just be a little more aware about their surroundings and be courteous to others around them...  

however, the first class thing bugs me because I am not going to stop flying first class because you (not you- Ang- you= people) don't have a child- get a f'ing grip didnt know the airlines were so flush with cash that they could turn mine away...I agree with Two- I shouldn't have to be stuck in coach because I have a child- if I'm more comfortable then my child is more comfortable and better behaved...

how are my chidlren supposed to learn how to act if they arent exposed to different situations? and also when all the TINC get old and need doctors or a lawyer or I dont know a flight attendant to serve their first class drinks- who is going have those jobs? oh yeah- the children of today... 

[IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l261/abba916/2011_100-1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt11ade2.aspx[/img][/url]
  • (I meant to quote abba on this):  how are my chidlren supposed to learn how to act if they arent exposed to different situations?

This is a point that I forgot to put in my response on TB.  I want Stella to be a well behaved child in whatever social situation that we might bring her in to.  How am I supposed to teach her the appropriate way to act if that opportunity is being taken away? 

I think it's the parents lack of common sense and society's sense of entitlement that play into these new attitudes.  Parents don't control their kids anymore and God forbid they don't give them anything and everything that they want.  This makes for bratty kids and self-righteous adults.  It's not a good cycle for the future that's for sure.  I can only hope that I'm doing the best job as a parent for my children and that if they're having a tantrum, there are other parents around who understand that sometimes kids cry, and it's only temporary.

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • I definitely don't tolerate my own kids being bad in restaurants.  I can't stand it when other people let their kid scream or when a kid in the booth behind me is turned around staring in my booth and jumping on the seat.  My kids are very well behaved. 

I do think though that it would be nice for places to be a little more kid-friendly at times.  We have eaten at nice restaurants that have plates/bowls/utensils/straw cups for the kids (like an expensive japanese place we love) and so that has us coming back more.