Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Recommend your DSLR

DH and I are going to bite the bullet and buy a good DSLR soon. I know next to nothing about cameras other than I hate my current digital point and shoot.

Any advise, recommendations, etc. is much appreciated. TIA!

Re: Recommend your DSLR

• I have a Canon Rebel XS and I love it.  It's the most basic model...but it doesn't really matter if you have good lenses.  It takes fantastic pictures! 

I would recommend taking a class (if you have time) on how to use the manual settings if you are going to get an SLR.  My wedding photographer actually gave me lessons on mine when I first got it.  After that I registered for a class through the Chesco Night School - I wasn't crazy about the teacher, it was cheap and a great way to get practice!  I also got tips from my classmates who were much more experienced than me.  I am glad I did it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heart my Nikon D5000. I am a total novice but it takes great pictures.  Lurk on the Photography board on TB and there are some useful tips/tricks you can find.

• I love my Nikon D60 (they don't make it anymore) but Nikon's rock.  I have experience shooting with a SLR but didn't want to pay a ton of money for a camera that had a million extra features that I would never use.  When you become more advanced, use your money to buy nice lenses instead.

Also, I took a refresher class here recently and I thought they were fantastic and they have a bunch of  classes, especially for people that have never used a SLR.

http://www.projectbasho.org/

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • DH and I are also looking and I asked my wedding photographer for her advice. She recommended a Cannon Eos 50d ... this year's model is the 60d but the difference is that the new one has HD video capacity (I believe).  She also said that cannon makes the best lenses and has the "best glass" which is why almost all professionals use canon lenses. 

That said, I know nothing about photography and didn't get mine yet so I don't know first hand! 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Thanks ladies! We have a $400 Best Buy giftcard (thanks to points from DH work) so we are going to use that toward the camera and I wanted to have a feel of what is good and bad before dealing with the salesperson.