Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: Marietta grieving Mom faces jailtime for jaywalking

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/56045808.aspx

I mean really? Confused

On April 10, 2010, Raquel Nelson lost her 4-year-old son. Nelson was crossing a busy Marietta, Georgia, street with her son and his two siblings when they were struck by a hit-and-run driver. Police were able to track down the driver, Jerry Guy, who later admitted he had been drinking and had taken painkillers the night of the accident. He was also mostly blind in one eye. Guy had already been convicted of two prior hit-and-runs. He pleaded guilty, served six months of his five-year sentence, and was released last October.

If it ended there, this story would merely be tragic. But it gets worse. Last week Nelson herself was convicted on three charges related to her son's death: reckless conduct, improperly crossing a roadway and second-degree homicide by vehicle. Each is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in prison. Nelson could spend up to six times as many months in jail as the man who struck her son and then fled the scene. Nelson's crime: jaywalking.

"HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue

Re: XP: Marietta grieving Mom faces jailtime for jaywalking

• This is crazy! How did he only get a 5 year sentence for this and get out so

Maybe its just me but I don't think Georgians are kind to pedestrians, even if you're in a crosswalk.

• image busybodyk:

This is crazy! How did he only get a 5 year sentence for this and get out so

Maybe its just me but I don't think Georgians are kind to pedestrians, even if you're in a crosswalk.

i agree. BUT i think 4 years of school in athens taught me to book it across the road, because you would legit get hit by a bus. 

• There is no way I would have been able to convict this woman.
    "HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • That's outrageous. It's not like she committed a felony. Unless there's something we don't know, like she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, there is no way she deserves jail time, or any punishment at all. The fact that her son died is punishment enough.
  • image MeredithE:
    There is no way I would have been able to convict this woman.

Me either. I don't get it.

Meet Beyonce Jr.

Call me Kat =^..^= Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image PuppiesAndRainbows:
    That's outrageous. It's not like she committed a felony. Unless there's something we don't know, like she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, there is no way she deserves jail time, or any punishment at all. The fact that her son died is punishment enough.

There was a mention in another article the other day that the mother was drunk/had been drinking as well.  I can't find the link now, though. It's sad, but you should always cross at a cross walk and keep a hold of your childrens' hands for good reason.

• image Sadlebred:

image PuppiesAndRainbows:
    That's outrageous. It's not like she committed a felony. Unless there's something we don't know, like she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, there is no way she deserves jail time, or any punishment at all. The fact that her son died is punishment enough.

There was a mention in another article the other day that the mother was drunk/had been drinking as well.  I can't find the link now, though. It's sad, but you should always cross at a cross walk and keep a hold of your childrens' hands for good reason.

Please show me this evidence proving she was inder the influence. There is however evidence that the man who killed her child was under the influence of both alcohol and medication. He has also hit TWO previous pedestrians. She went to get Pizza with her kids and Walmart to Grocery shop. Additionally, she WAS holding her now deceased child's hand but he darted out. I challenge you to find me one parents whose kid has not darted away from them.  Here is the intersection where the incident took place. There is not a crosswalk in the vicinity, and I am not saying she was right to jaywalk but come-on her child is dead. The fact that she will possibly receive more jailtime than the habitual drunk driver who killed her son is mind-boggling.

• image Sadlebred:

really??? what a heartless thing to say after a woman lost her son.
  • image ReadytobeMrs.B:
    image Sadlebred:

really??? what a heartless thing to say after a woman lost her son.

ditto. too bad he wasn't killed by a cyclist, then you'd have to hush.

• The mother is supposed to be on the Today show with her attorney this morning.
  • The article this morning confirmed the mother was NOT drunk or under the influence of drugs when this occurred. She was not at fault. No, she does not deserve to have her kid die, or spend years in prison for this. Anyone who suggests otherwise needs to go get hit by the karma bus.