Upstate NY Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

:raises hand: I'm new here - moving to the Rochester area from Indiana

Hello NY lovelies!

(I still can't believe this is happening) but we're moving to Rochester from Indiana this fall.  Both my Dh and I were blessed to have found amazing jobs and all of his family is in Rochester.  We have 2 kids, Owen - 2 and Eleanor - 9mo.  I'll be starting a job with Unity Health Care as a OB/Gyn Nurse Practitioner and my husband is a computer programmer.  So.....looks like this will become my new nest home board :)

Please if you have any tips, advice or wise words about moving or the area ~share~ with me :)

XO

Peachy

Re: :raises hand: I'm new here - moving to the Rochester area from Indiana

• Welcome to the board and (soon) to NY!

Im from Syracuse so I wont be of much help with the area. However I look forward to getting to know you! This board tends to get a little slow but Im hoping it picks up. Seems to be a lot of great people on here!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Welcome! I'm from Syracuse, but all my family is in Rochester. It's a great city.
  • Welcome!  Rochester is a great city, I've lived here almost all my life.  I posted a whole ton of fun things to do in the city a few posts below yours, but if you are looking for something in particular don't hesitate to ask.  :-)
    PersonalMilestone
  • Thank you so much girls!!!!  We'll be living with my IL's until our house in Indiana sells, so when we start looking for our new home it will be in one of the east side suburbs of Rochester :)  Can't wait to get to know you all!
  • Hello!! Welcome to the board. I live in Syracuse (well, Liverpool, but close enough)... and have only been to Roc a few times, but I loved it! Really a cool town!

As Bridgett said, this board seems to be pretty slow, but hopefully it will pick up soon. Maybe... the weather has just been so awesome... that no one has been tooling around on their computer (except us office monkeys during the work day).

So cool that you're an NP! I graduate w/ my RN in Oct and am still figuring out what direction to go with it.

As for moving advice (I have moved a lot, thx to the military)... number each box.... then grab a cheapy sprial notebook and number the top of each page... you get one page per box. On each page, jot down what you have in that box. This way... if you have to live out of boxes for a while... the whole "WTF box did I put x, y, x in?" is a little bit easier to figure out... without opening a bazillion boxes during the hunt.

HTH and welcome!!

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image kevinandmonica2011:

Hello!! Welcome to the board. I live in Syracuse (well, Liverpool, but close enough)... and have only been to Roc a few times, but I loved it! Really a cool town!

<br> 

As Bridgett said, this board seems to be pretty slow, but hopefully it will pick up soon. Maybe... the weather has just been so awesome... that no one has been tooling around on their computer (except us office monkeys during the work day).

<br> 

So cool that you're an NP! I graduate w/ my RN in Oct and am still figuring out what direction to go with it.

<br> 

As for moving advice (I have moved a lot, thx to the military)... number each box.... then grab a cheapy sprial notebook and number the top of each page... you get one page per box. On each page, jot down what you have in that box. This way... if you have to live out of boxes for a while... the whole "WTF box did I put x, y, x in?" is a little bit easier to figure out... without opening a bazillion boxes during the hunt.

<br> 

HTH and welcome!!

Ditto that. I did that moving from Buffalo to Philly and was only in Philly for 5 months and never fully moved out of boxes, so moving back to Syracuse (home) the numbered box thing was awesome. It was even better when I left a few bigger things behind in Philly to pick up a month later and my oh so lovely roommate decided to throw a box out just for fun (mad that I decided I hated Philly and wanted to move home). At least I know what the little lady tossed on me.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • image kevinandmonica2011:

Hello!! Welcome to the board. I live in Syracuse (well, Liverpool, but close enough)... and have only been to Roc a few times, but I loved it! Really a cool town!

HTH and welcome!!

LOVE this idea :)  Thank you so much for sharing :)

• LabbieLabbie member
    5000 Comments Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker

Hi and welcome. Rochester is a great place to live.

My oldest sister lives in Ft Wayne Indiana and travels to Indy a lot for work.

My DH and I just moved (within Rochester) so if you need a good real estate agent let me know. We really like ours a lot. My only piece of advice for moving is to make sure anything you use on a daily basis is in a suitcase, like you were going on vacation, instead of squirreled away in a "bathroom" or "bedroom" box. We're still "missing" things, lol.

Since your DHs family is from here you're probably prepared, but our ppty taxes are outrageous, especially compared to Indiana. Well, probably compared to most places Sad

image image image
  • Welcome!!!  I am also in Rochester.  Stop over the Upstate NY Bump page- there are a bunch of us ROC mommies over there!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image Read2Me:
    Welcome!!!  I am also in Rochester.  Stop over the Upstate NY Bump page- there are a bunch of us ROC mommies over there!

Doh!  I'm behind!  I see now that you already posted over there.  Welcome again! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers