Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Lauree

Quick questions about the SHT...  Is it frowned upon for one couple to camp in a multi-group site?   Is the trail busy enough that you usually end up sharing sites with people?

Have you hiked the Britton Peak to Odberg Mountain section?

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.

Re: Lauree

• Nope it's not frowned upon.  Last year we came upon a group site that a fairly large group was at, there was still an open tent pad, so we set up there, they were super nice about it.  On the SHT as long as there is an available tent pad at a campsite, you are free to stay there.  It's not like the BWCA where it's first come, first serve. 

Only a few times have we been at a campsite where we haven't stayed with people.  Everyone is pretty nice on the trail though, and if there's room at a site, they usually don't give you hassle about setting up there. 

I have hiked the Britton Peak to Oberg section, we started at Temperance River and stayed at the Springdale Creek campsite, it was an ok site, decent amount of tent pads.  I vaguely remember hiking through the group campsites, lots of room at both of those.  That section of the trail also has lots of ups and downs (with amazing views of Lake Superior as your reward) so just be prepared for that :-) 

[center] [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qu7ipz.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

[center] Our 5 year anniversary trip to Peru. [/center]
  • Great, thanks! 

Bummer about that section being really hilly.  The guide says it's one of the easier sections, although maybe it's relative when it comes to the SHT.  We're taking my dog so the plan is to start at the north end and if she's tired, stop at the first site.  If she's okay, we'll keep going to the 2nd set of sites at Leveaux Pond.   I can't believe we're actually taking a 13 year old dog with arthritis.  I sort of feel like I'm being mean but she loves hiking and we're gonna go at her pace.

Have you been on a section that might be less hilly?

• When we hiked that section we hiked from Temperance River through Lutsen, so my memory may be thinking of the sections before/after, but I do remember the spur trails to those mountains are a bit steeper. 

If you're looking for a super flat section we hiked Crosby-Manitou to Finland last 4th of July weekend and it was the perfect section to do.  It was in the 90s so the flat trail was appreciated and there were two lakes along the way to swim in and cool off.  (we hid a bike at the end and DH biked back to the car at Crosby-Manitou while I waited, again, super flat area so it made this easy) 

• Oooh, the bike is a great idea!  You guys are so clever.  And thanks for the trail suggestion.  I will definitely check that one out tonight.  
  • We're gonna do part of this section - thanks for suggesting it!   The guide book says to watch for moose at Sonju so I hope we get to see one!

• Awesome, enjoy!