International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

!welsh!

Thanks for replying to me in the Moms post! I find Ferber interesting, but don't think it would work for us. I have a really hard time tolerating her crying firstly (what mother doesn't I suppose!), but also, even the times when I have had to leave her to cry for a couple minutes just so I can go to the restroom or something, coming back and just patting her back or giving her her soother doesn't work at ALL, just works her up more. Picking her up does help, then we can put her back. So I feel like that deviates from his main point! GL though, I think we ALL deserve some more sleep, but especially you! Let me know how it goes!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Blog

Re: !welsh!

• To be honest, W and M have both been the same way. When we did Ferber with W, and when we tried it with M (before her cold came and we stopped), us going in didn't stop her crying at all. The only thing that helps is picking her up. But after 6 months (well, very nearly), I can't pick her up every time. I think for me it's a matter of mama reaching her breaking point, and knowing that nothing else short of crying will work for her to learn to put herself to sleep.

I do hate it, and feel awful letting her cry when I know I could calm her down in a minute with a cuddle and some breast, but I know that it won't get any easier, and I need to make a break.

For what it's worth, if she was one of those great-sleeping babies who are BF and sttn on their own, I'd happily nurse her to sleep for ages and ages. But she wakes up too frequently for her own good.

Let me know what you decide to do and how it works. Sleep deprivation sucks! :)

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • I totally understand. I am really on the fence about what to do with little V. She went for a while (like 2 weeks, but it felt amazing) where she was legitimately only waking up once in the night at like 3am to eat, right back to sleep, up around 4. AWESOME. Now she is waking once to eat, and another time only a couple hours later for some comfort. If we rock her to calm but not asleep, we can then put her back in bed.

It's frustrating, because I'm tired, but I don't know how long she'd cry and that really scares me. She gets so worked up that I just don't see how she'd calm down. I have this image where she will NEVER be STTN, which I know is my tired mind dramatizing, but those moments really dishearten me.

My Blog
  • imageEnidFalcor:

IIt's frustrating, because I'm tired, but I don't know how long she'd cry and that really scares me. She gets so worked up that I just don't see how she'd calm down. I have this image where she will NEVER be STTN, which I know is my tired mind dramatizing, but those moments really dishearten me.

I coiuld have written this paragragh word for word. I think it's a matter of faith, and either patiece or a tolerence for tears, but it will hsppen either way.
    Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • I was pretty anti-Ferber, but after reading the book, we decided to try it out when Milo was 9 months old.  Not to sound totally dramatic, but it changed our world.  After the first 2 nights, he slept through the night and has ever since.  I don't know if it was Ferber, if he is just a good sleeper or if we are lucky as hell, but I just wanted to add that you may not feel able to use it now, but in a few months, things might change.  Have you read the book yet?  He gives some really interesting information on sleep in general.  I've got a copy if you wanna borrow it sometime.