Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]om.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My Poor Mom

I feel really bad for my mom and there's not a damn thing I can do to help.I apologize in advance for how long this post will probably be.

You may recall my prior mention of my mom's sister's bitchiness. But she really went overboard with it now.

First, the backstory-I grew up in a 2 family house owned by my mom's parents. When they both passed away (within 6 weeks of one another) a few years ago, their house went to my mom and her 3 siblings with the agreement that my mom could stay for x amount of time before putting the house on the market and she'd be responsible for taxes, upkeep, etc.

It needs a lot of work and the neighborhood isn't the greatest but it's very close to public transportation with a view of NYC. So I think her siblings assumed it would sell quickly for a good amount but it's been on the market for a long time and nobody's buying.

My aunt who is the most financially stable of the siblings has always been pushing for her to just get out of the neighborhood and be done with the house because she "needs closure." WhateverTF that means about a house she doesn't live in or ever visit.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz

Re: My Poor Mom

• So anyways, every few months the siblings get together for some goofy themed dinner and this weekend after the festivities, they gave my mom a hard time for:

1. Not having copies of the updated realtor contract for each of them, when they asked Friday at 2 pm and she didn't have the original with her at work.

2. For not having put more money aside for repairs because with all the rain lately, the roof started leaking. She paid $500 to patch around the chimney so it doesn't cave in but it needs a new roof and while she put money aside for upkeep, she didn't count on needing 6 grand for a roof.

3. For not having a solid plan for what's going to happen with my brother when she moves in with her soon to be husband. Apparently my aunt is really worried about my brother because he is 35, never had a real job unless you count working for a church/catholic school for peanuts, and just recently came out of the closet. They are working on options but part of me thinks, he's a freaking adult that's more his problem.

So my aunt starts crying, yelling and cursing and telling my mom she's done with her and "just write me a check for a $100 and I want to be done with the house." Then storms out and leaves.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • I think your bro is old enough to care for himself.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • image KristenBtobe:
    I think your bro is old enough to care for himself.

Exactly. For the longest time, the family was all "He needs to step up,  you shouldn't be supporting him" and now all of a sudden everyone is so concerned for where he's going to go. I'm sure he'd be willing to stay in the house with a leaky roof if they want to give it to him and be done with it.

• I don't think you mom should be responsible for the roof.  General upkeep seems different from asking someone to be responsible for major repaies.  The brother thing is just ridiculous--none of their business.
  • A while ago my uncle brought up that someone he knows  would come in, buy it as is cheap and probably startover from scratch. But they all agreed to give it more time.

Now my mom is saying, maybe we should just call the guy and see what we can get because the house will never pass inspection and they all either don't have the money or desire to fix it up properly and my aunt flipped out.

My brother and I have been texting about the switch from tough love to to poor him and he made me LOL. "Well, I could almost understand it. I came out to M & N. So now her white guilt and progressive thinking allows her to take me on as a cause."

He also called his godmother the C-word so apparently he's not too concerned that my mom is going to leave him homeless.

• I think your aunt needs some time with a therapist.  
  • A new roof is not general upkeep, it is a major repair and as so is the responsibility of the buyer, or is the responsibility of all the current owners who will benefit from the sale of the home to share amongst themselves equally (assuming they all receive the same amount from the sale)
  • Your aunt blows. Your brother blows.

But, I want to know more about this themed dinner.

• image wingedbride:

Your aunt blows. Your brother blows.

But, I want to know more about this themed dinner.

Yes she does. And he does too, sometimes. Well maybe all the time now, I don't ask and he doesn't tell.

So every few months their sibling dinner has a theme for the food and some kind of related contest that goes along with it. The previous one was Mardi Gras themed and they made either hats or parade floats out of cigar boxes before hand. Then my uncle took pictures, posted them on FB and had people vote for the best one.

This week's theme was Nascar. They took pictures on a couch in the driveway with cheap beer cans. They ate fried chicken and bbq food and had Twinkies and Devil Dogs for dessert. The contest was to bring pinewood derby cars that they designed.

For those of you that are my FB friend, you may have seen the picture. Feel free to vote. Just don't vote for the Popemobile because my aunt sucks.

I'll try to upload a picture in a minute.

• That actually sounds hilarious!
  • It is pretty funny. Although, I bet a GTG artistic contest would put them to shame.

But then they had to take the WT theme too far and turn it into an episode of Jerry Springer.

The cigar box hats were also funny but are individual pics I may just have to steal from my uncle's FB.

• Actually, the hats were back in October. I guess they didn't have a contest for Mardi Gras.

The creativity included The Last Supper, slot machine, Aretha's Hat, and not pictured but worth mentioning Stevie Wonder. The blind guy is hilarious and threw a black wig and sunglasses on top of the box. Any guesses which car he painted?