Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Allergy sufferer's come in please

I know we have some serious allergy sufferer's around here. I am miserable. As in I can barely get out of bed. I have been taking Allegra, Allegra-D (which has horrible side effects for me) and Claritin-D. Nothing is working. Most days it barely takes the edge off. Today is one of those can't get out of bed days. My nose is running, like a disgusting snot faucet. I can't stop sneezing to the point where I actually get dizzy and can't catch my breath. My eye's were swelling shut earlier, luckily that has subsided for now. I have a shooting pain in my sinus area, that pops up every 10-15 minutes and makes it feel like my eyeball might fall out. Ears/throat all hurt. I am MISERABLE. I have always had bad allergies, but this is the worst they have ever been and I know it's pretty much been everyone's worst allergy season.
My complaing ends in the question, what are you doing for relief??? Is anything working? I am seriously considering calling my doctor tomorrow. I can't live like this. I don't leave the house many days bc of my allergies, I am too tired to muster the energy and I am just miserable, so why leave. I have a wedding next weekend, outside (SHOOT ME) as well as the rehearsal dinner, and plans to have friends over. I feel like I won't be able to do it. I feel like I have no life, and it's all bc of my allergies. Tell me your secrets.

Re: Allergy sufferer's come in please

• You aren't on any prescriptions?

I have found that I need to take meds that work in different ways to combat my allergies.  My combination is Zyrtec, Flonase (I absolutely need a nasal spray for my sinuses), and Singulair (my life really changed after I added this in).  When my sinuses are bad, I take Sudafed 12 hour usually and use nasal irrigation.  And I still take benadryl sometimes like last night when I was going crazy.

My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • Yes I have been miserable as well and pregnancy makes my allergies worse

My combo that works is Zyrtec ( costco generic allertec is $17 for a years worth ) and pataday  eye drops daily . If needed a saline nose spray too 

Honestly Zyrtce works best for me can make you drowsy  but I find I need to take it every night and not skip it and it takes 2 weeks to kind of get in my   system and be effective . 

With  any allergy med it must be consistently taken and will need to get to a level in your system before it  can work .  Good luck, hope you find the  right combo

• nynewsnynews member

[ My combination is Zyrtec, Flonase (I absolutely need a nasal spray for my sinuses), and Singulair (my life really changed after I added this in). ]

ditto this!  once I got a prescription for Flonase and Singulair I FINALLY FELT RELIEF and that wasy enough I was able to ditch zyrtec all together. OTC drugs did nada for me!

scrunched up face
  • Nope, no prescriptions :( My insurance won't cover them, they say that I can use OTC. My allergist sent them like six billion letters, but nope. They did cover my albuteral inhalor (i need a new one) and a provental inhalor (no longer on the market). But they wouldn't cover prescription meds. I had to stop getting shots bc without a prescription med I couldn't take the reactions I would have to them. Now that I haven't been to my allergist in like two years, IDK what they would want to do :( I tried Zyrtec, but it turned me into a zombie, and I literally fell asleep at work (not that this would be an issue at the moment, the work part). Nasal sprays make my post nasal drip worse, is that not a problem for others? Maybe I should try them again.

I am definitely calling my doctor tomorrow. I can't live like this anymore :(

• I have seasonal and cat allergies and I have taken Claritin and Allergra and hated both of those.  I took Zrytec for two years and it worked great when I had a doctor finally tell me to stop taking it at 9am and try 9pm...no more sleeping at work...lol.  I just recently stopped taking Zyrtec as my contacts were really drying out from it.  I switched to prescription Flonase and aside from some occasional eye itchiness on high pollen days, it has been a lifesaver!  I have never been able to breathe so well during the allergy season!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • That really stinks that you can't get prescriptions.  I suggest you go see an allergist.  That's what I did and now I get allergy shots along with taking Zyrtec, Singulair and nose spray.  Zyrtec is over the counter so maybe try that first.  I can't take anything that has D because it makes me dehydrated and makes my heart race.
  • Oh, you poor thing!  My allergies never really fade away as the seasons change, and like PP, pregnancy makes mine worse, so I've had to get creative over the years w/remedies.  Like the others, the only OTC med that works is Zyrtec.  I have a Rx for Flonase and eye drops (blanking on the name right now and too lazy to go check it in my bathroom).  My allergist discussed shots w/me, but b/c we were getting ready to TTC when I had my most recent round of allergy testing done, I wasn't a good candidate for it.  If I weren't in that situation, I likely would have gone ahead w/the shots.

Those three, in conjunction, really seem to help me out, but another big difference has been doing my best to follow my allergist's orders to help alter my environment, too (no cat exposure, no live OR fake plants in the house, running the a/c rather than opening the windows, and so on w/each allergen).  Finding out exactly what my allergies are NOW, rather than working off of what they were years ago when I was last tested, really helped me to minimize my exposure to allergens and therefore the reactions have decreased a bit.

GL and hope you get some relief soon!

• Why do I feel weird calling my allergist? I haven't been there in at least two years. I stopped going for shots bc of the lack of prescription medicine and the reactions I had were so unpleasant.
    I don't know if I should call my allergist of my PCP. Mmmmhh. Someone is getting a call today.
  • Oh Mary that sounds awful!

My allergies actually haven't been that bad this year at all.  Last year was MUCH worse for me.  The big difference has been that I've been taking Zyrtec -I know you said it turns you into a zombie, but I take it at night, and then when I wake up the zombie-like feeling is gone and I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. 

I would definitely call your doctor just to rule out any possible sinus infections etc.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It seems like a lot of us take Zyrtec.  Mary, have you tried taking it at night?  Are you still tired then?  I take my meds just before bed.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • Mary - you may also be having a reaction to the different molds and dust mites in your new house.

I heard on teh radio last week that Baltimore/Washington is in the top 5 worst areas for ragweed allergies in teh country and its gotten alot worse the last 10 years.

I would try to go back to the allergist and see what kind of meds he can prescribe even if you have to pay out of pocket. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image KathrynMD:

Mary - you may also be having a reaction to the different molds and dust mites in your new house.

I heard on teh radio last week that Baltimore/Washington is in the top 5 worst areas for ragweed allergies in teh country and its gotten alot worse the last 10 years.

I would try to go back to the allergist and see what kind of meds he can prescribe even if you have to pay out of pocket. 

I do wonder if it's something in the house :( that would suck. It certainly doesn't help that the horse farm behind us let their fields grow. I guess they were rotating fields or something bc the field directly behind our house was allowed to grow crazy this spring and was literally all ragweed and goldenrod (two of my worst allergens). He just cut it on Sunday (lovely) and then fluffed it yesterday. I am guessing he will be bailling it soon. I going to pick up some zyrtec and try that. I definitely am going to call my doctor too and see what they can offer.
  • you're staying inside w/ the AC right?  I hate it, but I really avoid opening the windows as much as possible and keep the AC on in the car, etc.  Its nice for about 10 miinutes and then I'm miserable for hours.  Also - try showering when you get home to rinse all the allergens off your hair and clothes - that works really well for me and making sure you get your sheets and towels clean and dry.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I do Zyrtec, Nasonex and Pataday, as needed.  I'm considering dropping the Zyrtec because the side effects are starting to bother me.  But then the allergies get bad and I chose that as the lesser evil, and the cycle continues.

I, too, would look at the causes--that sounds much worse than typical pollen.  Maybe you have mold?