Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

would you be annoyed if your neighbors put in a fence?

Our backyard it totally open - as are all our neighbors - for at least 3 or 4 houses in either direction.  We really want to get a fence.  We want put in a playset for Ella and maybe get a little water feature/fountain at some point. 

I kinda feel like everyone will think we are jerks if we do it though.  Its not like anyone dogs are crapping in our yard or something people are tromping through, we'd just like a little more privacy.  Would this bother you if your neighbors put up a fence?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: would you be annoyed if your neighbors put in a fence?

• No.  And who cares if they are?  It's your property and your right to do whatever you want plus you have good reasons.
  • I'm all about privacy so I would always have a fence, even if we didn't have a dog.
  • Not at all.  We are about to do the same thing.  I want the dog to be able to run around freely and I want to keep the annoying kids out of my yard.  They don't seem to understand that it's not appropriate to play football in my backyard when I'm sitting on my patio trying to relax.  (Sorry for the vent.  I'm ready to kill the kids in my court and it's only May.) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image lsgarver:
    No.  And who cares if they are?  It's your property and your right to do whatever you want plus you have good reasons.

yeah I know I can do whatever.  I just don't want to give off a bad vibe.

• Nope!  (as long as it's not a shoddy, crappy fence...)
  • Nope, wouldn't bother me unless it was chain link or something equally unattractive.  If it looks nice, who cares?
  • I don't blame you for wanting one....and if I was your neighbor, I wouldn't be annoyed at all.

Jen, mom to Evan-6yrs and Ella-20 months
  • No not at all. I think they would completely understand since you have Ella and wouldn't take it as a slight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sort of. My neighbors put in a fence and they did ask., but I didn't realize that it was a white, vinyl 6 foot fence around a postage stamp sized yard. It cuts out some of our daytime sunlight, which is really important to the gardener in my. However, they have two small kids and I can see why they did it and it is a nice fence, even if it does remind me a bit of being stuck in a padded room...
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would check your neighborhood covenant, HOA regs, etc. You might need to have it approved by some sort of committee or there might be guidelines (and I am thinking that because it's Columbia there will be.) 

Our neighborhood has pretty tight regs on fences, we aren't allowed to have sheds, etc. It's annoying, but it also keeps our neighborhood looking nice.  

• image daisyterp:

I would check your neighborhood covenant, HOA regs, etc. You might need to have it approved by some sort of committee or there might be guidelines (and I am thinking that because it's Columbia there will be.) 

Our neighborhood has pretty tight regs on fences, we aren't allowed to have sheds, etc. It's annoying, but it also keeps our neighborhood looking nice.  

oh yeah - we totally have to get it approved and our neighbors have to sign off as well (plus I think we need to get it surveyed).

I think we will just get a split rail and make it simple, but I was noticing some other people have pretty nice privacy fences.  i think that's more than I want, but eh. .. maybe.  and yeah - bleh to those vinyl fences.

• @daisyterp - good point. Technically our neighbor's fence violates county zoning laws, but I don't want to be the @$$ that reports them. FWIW, many of our other neighbors also violate the zoning laws with their fences...
  • I think your fine.  Unless you are really close with your neighbors and have a spoken or unspoken aggreement that the backyards are sorta an extended play area for everyone's kids.  My in-laws had an arrangement like that. Put up the fence I would love to replace the chain link one we have with a more secure private one.  It's your house, you need to be happy. 
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2lm2irl.jpg[/IMG]

My Book blog: A Library of our Own Latest Post - The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy

Follow @LibraryOfOurOwn on Twitter!

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/f0102h.jpg[/IMG]
  • My family was the first in our group of houses to get a fence and it was no big deal to the neighbors. 
    Visit The Nest!
  • Nope, I would not be annoyed at all. Especially since you will have to get it approved and everything - they won't be shocked when someone shows up to start putting in a fence one day.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No. I would put the fence up. Do you have an HOA? Can you put up a fence? If so then I would do it.
    image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Just make sure you put it up right, with the good side facing out. A bunch of my neighbors have recently installed fences with the good side facing in and it makes them look really inconsiderate.
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rak0ribz/7255905652/][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7255905652_68135b1860_m.jpg[/img][/url]
  • image matildasun:
    Just make sure you put it up right, with the good side facing out. A bunch of my neighbors have recently installed fences with the good side facing in and it makes them look really inconsiderate.

Yeah that's what the jerk next to us did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Heck no, I appreciate privacy and understand if others want it too.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • image idonthavethis:

image matildasun:
    Just make sure you put it up right, with the good side facing out. A bunch of my neighbors have recently installed fences with the good side facing in and it makes them look really inconsiderate.

Yeah that's what the jerk next to us did.

LOL, we had neighbors a few doors down growing up that did this.  They were always known as jerks because of this.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • I wouldn't be annoyed at all as long as it's HOA approved and all of that good stuff.