Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

When do you eat dinner?

Some girl on Entertaining Ideas thought a 7pm party was too late for dinner and wanted to serve apps and dessert.  Uh, we normally eat between 7-8pm on the regular.  Am I weird?

When is your typical dinner time?

Re: When do you eat dinner?

• Depends on what we're having and what time we both get home from work - but anytime between 5:30ish and 8:30 is normal for us. 

I figure once we have a kid we'll settle down to a more regular, early dinner time just to acccomodate bedtimes, but 7 is a totally normal dinner party hour.

• We eat right around 6 every night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We usually eat at 7 or a little earlier.
    My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • I usually don't get home from work until 6:30-7pm so we normally eat sometime between 7pm and 8pm. I'd prefer to get home a little earlier and eat around 6:30 or so, but the 7 o'clock hour is definitely normal for dinner!

In elementary school I had a friend and her family ate dinner at 10pm every night and I thought that was crazy. Probably because that was past my bedtime!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • I always grew up eating dinner around 5:00-6:00. To me anything later than that is to late. Especially having a 6 year old that i need to feed. Now that i dont get home til almost 6 I am having a really hard time adjusting to a later dinner that we eat out a lot cuz it is quicker! lol I am really going to start trying to not mind eating later and maybe just give my little one something to hold her over for a  little while.
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • We eat early. Between 5:00-6:00, and mainly that's due to Annabelle. She likes to eat as soon as she gets home from daycare. I've been pushing back dinner back about 15 minutes every few weeks. Before Annabelle we were eating dinner between 6:00/6:30. I don't like eating dinner at 8p.m. It feels to late to me.
    image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • between 6:30 and 8, usually around 7-7:30.
    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2lm2irl.jpg[/IMG]

My Book blog: A Library of our Own Latest Post - The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy

Follow @LibraryOfOurOwn on Twitter!

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/f0102h.jpg[/IMG]
  • DD eats between 6:30 and 7 b/c she's starving!  DH and I eat about 8ish.

My preference is to eat w/ DD around 6/6:30, but we just aren't organized for that yet.

Growing up we ate around 7.

I really don't get eating around 5.  My parents were never home until at least 5:30/6 at the earliest.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image KathrynMD:

DD eats between 6:30 and 7 b/c she's starving!  DH and I eat about 8ish.

My preference is to eat w/ DD around 6/6:30, but we just aren't organized for that yet.

Growing up we ate around 7.

I really don't get eating around 5.  My parents were never home until at least 5:30/6 at the earliest.

Living with my grandparents we always ate at 5:00 pm. no later than 5:30. I think older people just like eating early. Plus they didn't work (retired) so it worked for us. 

image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Growing up we always ate dinner between 5 and 530.  Now we always eat sometime before 7.  If I haven't eaten by 7 I will wait until breakfast.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • usually between 6 and 6:30. I realize that is a bit early, its just a personal preference due to DS, and the fact I am usually starving when I get home.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's late to me. Growing up we ate around 4:30 or 5pm. My mom was a teacher, so she was home by 3:30.

Now we eat between 5:30 and 7, but usually 6PM. I am STARVING when I get home. I wish we could eat earlier, but I am not usually home before then,

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Normally pretty early. When DH is working regular hours (lately he has been picking up crap food while he's out b/c he's been working like crazy) he is home by 4pm and I am home anytime from 3-4:30pm depending on the day. Depending on the day and how long dinner takes to cook we normally eat about 5 or 5:30. Later than 6 feels late to me but only because I am starving! ;) Growing up we ate early too but now that my dad is home later I know my parents and sister eat around 7pm every night (if he is even home by then) and my parents tease us for being the "old people." ;)
  • just a random side note - but when I did a semester abroad in London, the family had 2 kids - 4ish yo and a 1 yo, mom worked PT as a nurse.  She fed the kids around 5 every day and then they did baths when dad came home at 6ish and then the kids went to bed.  Mom and Dad (and me when I was there) had a nice relaxed dinner w/ wine and music almost every night. 

I thought that was really nice and relaxing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I eat whenever. On the nights that H isn't working till 9 we normally eat between 6-7. If it was a weekend and I was having people over I would eat dinner at like 7:30. Apps between 6:00-7:00, dessert at 9ish.
  • KaieneKaiene member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    image wawajeanne:

Depends on what we're having and what time we both get home from work - but anytime between 5:30ish and 8:30 is normal for us. 

I figure once we have a kid we'll settle down to a more regular, early dinner time just to acccomodate bedtimes, but 7 is a totally normal dinner party hour.

This is us too.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Really depends on who gets home and when, who's tired, and when we had lunch.  We've eaten as early as 4:30 (!) and as late as 10, but it's usually between 5 and 7. 

I wouldn't think a 7pm party was too late, but I do prefer to eat earlier than that.

• It depends on what we're having.  If I'm making a meal that DD will eat, she gets a piece of a fruit or a yogurt cup when we get home and we all eat dinner together around 7pm when DH gets home.  If I'm making something for DH and I, I'll feed DD around 5-5:30, and then DH and I will eat around 8pm when DD goes up to bed. 

It Mia eats earlier, I sit at the table with her and keep her company.  I don't like us eating separately, but between her being ready for dinner as soon as we get home and the fact that DH and I eat a lot of meals that Mia truly doesn't care for, I have to compromise.

• 7:30ish...usually after DD goes to bed lately. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Growing up we ate between 5 and 5:30 p.m. because I usually had some sort of activity I needed to get to after. 

Now DH & I tend to eat around 6:30 or 7:00 mainly due to work schedules/cooktime, etc.

image *Amber & Chuck - October 25, 2008* Anniversary
  • On average we probably eat dinner around 7, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It really depends for us. Tues I work late, Wed we have softball any time from 6-9, Thurs DH plays basketball, we eat out Fridays, I really don't think we've eaten at the same time in the past week. Dinner ranges from 6-9.
  • It completely varies. Some days we'll eat at 6, some days at 730.  I think the later end is normal because usually we feed the dogs, take them for a long walk, and then start making dinner, so it doesn't even really get started until 630 or 7, so we're starting to eat later and later.

7 pm for a party - I don't expect dinner unless I'm specifically told to come over for dinner. If someone is just having a birthday party or something, I don't expect dinner at that time. But I do expect heavy apps which I guess become fairly dinner-like sometimes.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in shock that people eat at 5 pm.  I sometimes eat LUNCH at 4pm.

My schedule is whack.

P.S. I know people don't say whack anymore but it was, for whatever reason, the first adjective that came to mind and I didn't mind the throwback.

• image lsgarver:

I'm in shock that people eat at 5 pm.  I sometimes eat LUNCH at 4pm.

My schedule is whack.

P.S. I know people don't say whack anymore but it was, for whatever reason, the first adjective that came to mind and I didn't mind the throwback.

Once in a while we will eat this early, but I am sometimes home from work as early as 3 or 330.  That leaves time to make an early dinner.  If I'm working credit/OT and then going for a run etc, that pushes it back later.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We eat around 6, due to Aiden.  Family dinners are important to me, and if we eat any later than 6 Aiden will have a meltdown because he's "starving"
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • We used to eat whenever, now I try to feed LO as soon as I walk in the door and then we'll eat whenever.  I find family dinners very important, but right now our schedules doesn't accomodate that and I'm far from organized enough to have dinner ready when i walk in the door (like a crockpot meal every night).  I don't get home until 530-6pm, so my priority is LO.

We always ate at 5-530 growing up and my H's family always ate probably 8-830 growing up.  So eating late has been something i've sort of learned because if it were up to me, dinner would be done by 5 and we'd have a family dinner.  If we have dinner at in laws, it's still never before 8pm and it drives me insane.