Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Yoga mat recommendations?

I'm looking at getting a new "good" yoga mat.  The one I have is starting to shred, and I want something that's a higher quality, but I don't want to spend $100+ for a mat right now.  Anyone have any suggestions that they specifically like?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Yoga mat recommendations?

• I have a Jade Harmony and I really like it.  Jade has a few different thicknesses, each of which have pros and cons; thicker mats are cushier for your knees & wrists, but they can be harder to balance on for some poses.  

Manduka is a good brand too, but a little more expensive.  Amazon had the best prices when I was looking.

If you go to a studio regularly, ask instructors and other yogis for recommendations.  See if they mind letting you try their mat for a few minutes--just to do a downward facing dog and some easy poses so you can see how it feels.  If you're going to buy a nice mat, you might as well know that you're going to like it :)  

I love my life.
    imageimageimage
    Total workouts from 2006-2009: 33 Total workouts in 2010: 100
    Goal 2011: Work out 10+ times/month every month.
    2011 totals: 223 days, 281 workouts, 249 yoga classes
    2011 Goal Progress Breakdown (Updated 10/4)
  • Jade was what my one instructor suggested as well, and I've read some good reviews online.  I know my studio has them for sale, I think I'm going to check them out there. I'm sure I won't be able to try a brand new mat, but I can at least see how it feels in my hand.

I definitely don't want to spend a large amount of money on something I don't like, good suggestion about seeing if I can "test drive" the mat from someone in class.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a Jade too and love it!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I recently bought a Manduka eKO and really like it. One side is spongy like a Jade Harmony and the other is more stiff. Its nice to have the option of flipping btwn the two sides depending on what sort of practice I'm doing. Before this, I had a Jade Harmony but it started to shred after 14 mo. A lot of people say Manduka Black Mat is the way to go but its really heavy and I'm trying to buy less PVC products. Amazon had the best price for the eKO when I was shopping.