Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Emergency pet supplies

Russ and I are trying to put together a supply of food/household storage for personal and business use. We would like this to double as a rotational storage and also emergency use.

What items should I make sure to have in the storage for our pets? Please go nuts, and remind me of everything.

So far I have (6 months worth):

24 bags of dog food

6 bags of cat food

A few bottles of Rescue Remedy (if it's emergency, they will probably need it)

1-2 large tubs of peanut butter

extra leash and collars for each of them

One extra set of De-wormer for each

I know I need water, but I am not sure how much

6 pumpkin cans

My siggy is broken. It has made me grumpy.

Re: Emergency pet supplies

• Water - we are on a well, so when our power goes out, we loose water.  We have about 12 gallon jugs maybe more of water we store in the basement for us and the pets.  We just clean milk containers as we use them.

• What about flea/tick stuff, hartgaurd, pain killers, can opener, brush.
  • Maybe shampoo (waterless?), baby wipes. I can't imagine having 6 months worth of dog food though. That seems like quite a lot.
  • image Bigwuhead:

Water - we are on a well, so when our power goes out, we loose water.  We have about 12 gallon jugs maybe more of water we store in the basement for us and the pets.  We just clean milk containers as we use them.

My MIL ordered us a 50 gallon drum for water. However, its not one of my biggest concerns because our water source comes straight out of the ground with out a pump. It's pretty amazing, I will have to PIP. 

• image straymo:
    Maybe shampoo (waterless?), baby wipes. I can't imagine having 6 months worth of dog food though. That seems like quite a lot.

I thought so too, but Russ was thinking that he wanted a six month supply of everything. Maybe he will change his mind when he is trying to find space in his garage for 24 bags of food. 

• image wag more. bark less:
    image Bigwuhead:

Water - we are on a well, so when our power goes out, we loose water.  We have about 12 gallon jugs maybe more of water we store in the basement for us and the pets.  We just clean milk containers as we use them.

My MIL ordered us a 50 gallon drum for water. However, its not one of my biggest concerns because our water source comes straight out of the ground with out a pump. It's pretty amazing, I will have to PIP. 

This is one of our wells. This picture shows it filling up a trout holding tank, it is also our drinking water. We have it piped to our house straight from the well. The remaining water fills our lakes and creates wildlife habitat. This one happens to be closes to our house but also the smallest well. The other three flow much more than this.

• Is there a pump that is powered by electricity?  If not, please share how it works.  We probably can't replicate it, but I would love to find a way (aside from a generator) to ensure we have water when the power is out (we have a well too).