International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WWYD: Momzilla'd (clicky poll)

I updated my FB status to "Need sleep...this raising a puppy thing is no joke!"  Of course I was quickly Momzilla'd by one of DH's friend's wives with "Wait till you try kids". 

I don't feel like causing a fight or downplaying mothers and their sacrifice, but raising a puppy is hard, especially with a second dog in the house and with DH at work all day.  I'm easily taking the 2 dogs out of 10 walks a day, including the wee morning hours in the cold.  At least her baby will one day start cleaning up his own poop and feeding himself. 

[Poll]

Re: WWYD: Momzilla'd (clicky poll)

• As someone who has raised dogs from puppy hood (to include training them to both show and hunt) and still sleeps with her dogs in her bed and also  is rasing a baby and a 15 yo...yeah, dog ownership is not even close.

HOWEVER, I would never post that on someone elses board, becuase it smacks of martyrism and because I know that most people (including myself) do not like that type of phrase.

My suggestion would be to ignore.  While I can only assume, I would not hesitate to bet that your post came right after a really bad parent day.  She is venting in her own way.

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • image Ilumine:

As someone who has raised dogs from puppy hood (to include training them to both show and hunt) and still sleeps with her dogs in her bed and also  is rasing a baby and a 15 yo...yeah, dog ownership is not even close.

HOWEVER, I would never post that on someone elses board, becuase it smacks of martyrism and because I know that most people (including myself) do not like that type of phrase.

My suggestion would be to ignore.  While I can only assume, I would not hesitate to bet that your post came right after a really bad parent day.  She is venting in her own way.

ETA: Thanks for the perspective.  I think I just needed to vent too!

I just want to be like, "Gee thank, that's why we planned things out and got a puppy BEFORE having kids" 

She's a bitter person in general so I guess I should take it with a grain of salt.  When we moved to Israel, she suggested that instead of searching for a job as a lawyer, that I should volunteer as a secretary in the Israel Defense Forces.  Yeah, like I was going to throw away 2 degrees and want of experience and take a job that she thinks is a "good job for a wife".

I guess I'm also having a bad dog parent day.  I've "slept" on the couch for the past 2 nights for a total of about 4 hours.  These boxers have me Facebooking with boxing gloves on!

• annoying. 

lack of sleep is lack of sleep. maybe you should end everything you write with "this is the worst sleep i've had...wait till I have kids" "these are the cutest puppies I've ever seen...wait till I have kids" "this is the best night of drinking I've  experienced since college...wait till I have kid" "i really enjoyed watching the royal wedding...wait till I have kid" 

• I would just ignore it.  Maybe she thinks she's being clever/funny and doesn't realize it comes across as belittling.  I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt on Facebook.  I find it's easier.

• image Ilumine:

This. I've never had dogs, so would hesitate to compare, but I would never vent that way...

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • image traveling turtle:

annoying. 

lack of sleep is lack of sleep. maybe you should end everything you write with "this is the worst sleep i've had...wait till I have kids" "these are the cutest puppies I've ever seen...wait till I have kids" "this is the best night of drinking I've  experienced since college...wait till I have kid" "i really enjoyed watching the royal wedding...wait till I have kid" 

Haha, thanks for this! 

I'm just going to ignore her.  I think her and her H have a strange sense of humor.  The other day he commented about me wearing the pants in the house (and therefore belittling DH) after my post that I installed new thermomestat units in the house.  I think they need FB etiquette lessons!

• image traveling turtle:

annoying. 

Hahaha!

I saw her comment, it was not necessary. I've never raised a dog, but like pp said lost sleep is lost sleep, it doesn't matter how.

I voted semi-snarky comment, but I can't think of what you could write... 

• Not sure what I'd say but I totally get how you feel. There's one girl I'm FB friends with who is always saying stuff like that. And she thinks because she's been pregnant twice she knows exactly what I (and everyone else) will experience in pregnancy. I kinda want to defriend her just because of her attitude about it.
  • image marista99:
    Not sure what I'd say but I totally get how you feel. There's one girl I'm FB friends with who is always saying stuff like that. And she thinks because she's been pregnant twice she knows exactly what I (and everyone else) will experience in pregnancy. I kinda want to defriend her just because of her attitude about it.

You can just hide her updates.  I hide a lot of updates from pg friends because there are days I just can't handle waking up and seeing them.  

• I voted for the snarky comment but I'd probably wuss out at the end and not send it. At thirty and as a dog owner, I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing "wait to you have kids."

"I watched the Office last night.."

Friend: Wait to you have kids. You'll never see it again.

"I slept in until 10:00"

Friend: We'll that's going to end when you have kids.  

"I'm going to Vegas for a bachelorette party."

Friend: Must be nice. Can't do that with kids.

Really, can people stop judging each other on life decisions? Some moms make parenting sound awful and scary. And getting a dog IS a big adjustment. I remember when I could just go out and come home whenever or work late, etc. It's a new member of the family. Anyway, I hope you get some sleep! 

• I am a mother of 2, and I cringe every time I see someone say that to a childless person. It is so pathetically condescending.  Kind of like how people who have been married for a while tell engaged people that they'll never have sex again. 

• image Nanner:

I am a mother of 2, and I cringe every time I see someone say that to a childless person. It is so pathetically condescending.  Kind of like how people who have been married for a while tell engaged people that they'll never have sex again. 

It's not only condescending, but it ignores the fact that many people desperately want children but can't have them for whatever reason.

It is a hurtful comment, but I agree with other posters who would just ignore it. 

I don't mind being held to a higher standard; I mind being held to a lower one. (Sam Seaborn, The West Wing)
    Anniversary
  • I said ignore her, but I really don't understand why people feel the need to one-up with motherhood.
  • It's not necessarily a "one-upmanship" response, or at least it's not that simple. It could be a misconstrued way of commiserating with the other person, it could be a subconscious warning of things to come, it could be a really poorly said/written vent on their part (god knows my DD's crappy sleep patterns are 100x worse than any of the puppies I've had), or it could be a combination of all the above. Or it could just be one person trying to relate with the other, from their own perspective. The thing is, you have to take the comment within the context otpf the other person's overall life. If they are not a normally negative, competitive person OR they have experience with both and could just be comparing in there mind...etc, and then decide.
    [IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • image photogrrrl26:

I voted for the snarky comment but I'd probably wuss out at the end and not send it. At thirty and as a dog owner, I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing "wait to you have kids."

"I watched the Office last night.."

Friend: Wait to you have kids. You'll never see it again.

"I slept in until 10:00"

Friend: We'll that's going to end when you have kids.  

"I'm going to Vegas for a bachelorette party."

Friend: Must be nice. Can't do that with kids.

Really, can people stop judging each other on life decisions? Some moms make parenting sound awful and scary. And getting a dog IS a big adjustment. I remember when I could just go out and come home whenever or work late, etc. It's a new member of the family. Anyway, I hope you get some sleep! 

I have a kid and my life hasn't ended. Life is certainly different but it's not all kids all the time.

She chooses not to watch a tv show. She chooses not to rotate with her hubby about who sleeps in. She chooses not to leave her kids with a trusted hubby/relative/friend while she goes on a girl trip.

You can make completely different choices than her.

imageimage
  • image The Little One:

image marista99:
    Not sure what I'd say but I totally get how you feel. There's one girl I'm FB friends with who is always saying stuff like that. And she thinks because she's been pregnant twice she knows exactly what I (and everyone else) will experience in pregnancy. I kinda want to defriend her just because of her attitude about it.

You can just hide her updates.  I hide a lot of updates from pg friends because there are days I just can't handle waking up and seeing them.  

I've hidden her updates on my feed but she can (and does) comment on my posts. And it's kinda like your friend. If I say I'm tired she'll say "just wait til 3rd tri." I mean...why is this necessary on every status update I make?!
  • My bff posted on my wall that my status had been mommy jacked. My response, "ugh, I know. I would say its anniuying, but...wait till I try kids!" Haha, I got to comment in the end!
  • image The Little One:
    My bff posted on my wall that my status had been mommy jacked. My response, "ugh, I know. I would say its anniuying, but...wait till I try kids!" Haha, I got to comment in the end!

That's awesome!