September 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Starting a Non Profit

I know this is totally random, but I thought maybe some of you would have tips or advice.  Another volunteer and I are thinking about starting a non-profit or a website to help victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in the south bay area where we live.  Currently there aren't any resources for victims in our area, the closet would be in San Jose 30 miles north of us.

Does anyone have any advice on how to start a non-profit, how to get grants/funding, etc?

My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image

Re: Starting a Non Profit

• I briefly looking into starting a non-profit several years ago to help burn victims.  (My little brother was a burn victim.)  My advice would be to meet with a lawyer who understands all of the tax laws and structural organization you need for a non-profit.  As I'm sure you know, there's a lot more to it than just collecting money and using it to help people, unfortunately.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Good point.  We'll look into that.  I'm also going to the library to look for books.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • I did a ton of google searching on it when I was fairly serious about it too.  I used to have it saved on my computer.  I'll look when I get home and if I still have anything saved, I'll let you know.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I got discouraged and gave up pretty quickly when I realized what all was involved in the process.  There are all sorts of guidelines that you have to operate under to be considered a non-profit.  I would probably start the research there to see if it's something that seems realistic/obtainable for you.

Vacation

Vacation