Background - My husband and I just booked a trip to Vegas and will be going in a few weeks. Our DD will be at my mom and stepdad's house while we're gone. We live about 3 hours from them so they are always so excited to have her visit. My dad and his wife live about 20 minutes from my mom.
Anyway, my dad of course wants to see DD while she is at my mom's. The problem is, I really don't feel comfortable letting my dad and stepmother have DD at their house alone. I have a few reasons, but the major one is their dog. We were there at Christmas and the dog is just out of control. It's an 85lb Lab, and they spoiled the crap out of it so it constantly wants attention. It knocks DD over, is constantly trying to lick her face (like BATHE her face, not just a friendly lick) so we have to pull it away, and it barks at you when you try to have a conversation. I'm a dog lover and have a Lab myself, but this dog is just not trained. I feel bad for it, because it would probably be a great dog if it wasn't so spoiled.
That's all just annoying, but then last time we were there it bit DD's face. Because they never taught it to stop mouthing, it always has to carry a toy in its mouth, otherwise it will use its teeth. It was again trying to lick DD and as I pulled it away I saw 4 raised welts on DD's face. The dog had raked it's teeth down her cheek. So I of course say something and they kind of blow me off. I was PISSED. Luckily it was naptime and I was able to keep DD away from that stupid dog the rest of the day. Later on we went to my aunt's house, and a few people asked what happened to DD's cheek (it had long red scratches at this point) and suddenly they change the story to "Oh, well DD must have scratched herself." Um WTF...I told people what really happened. I said something to my dad later and he blew me off AGAIN.
So this is my dilemma. I DO NOT want DD to go there when DH and I aren't with her. I just don't feel my dad and stepmother realize that the dog is a problem. There have been issues with it before (when DD was 4 months old we couldn't put her on the floor...AT ALL...because the dog was trying to bite at her feet. Someone had to hold her the entire time we were there). I lost it at some point that time and told them to put the dog outside or we were leaving. I know what I have to do, I have to tell my Dad exactly how I feel and just say that we don't feel DD is safe there. It's just tough, because he's going to be hurt. I know he loves his granddaughter so much, but I won't bend on this. I'm just not sure how to say it to him. Is there a way to say it without hurting his feelings too badly? Sorry this is so long...I guess this was a bit of a vent too.