Boston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Great Restaurants

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping you may be able to help with a restaurant recommendation. I'll be in Boston to run the marathon and am looking for a place to enjoy a nice carb- loaded meal Sunday before the race.  

I'll be staying Downtown.

Thank you! 

Re: Great Restaurants

• The North End!

Mother Anna's, La Famiglia, L'osteria, and Cantina Italiana are good! 

• I second the North End!  I like Davide or Strega.
  • I love Stella in the South End... a modern twist on some fabulous Italian classics.

• Nearly any restaurant in the North End will serve you well.

Good luck in the race!

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking forward to running and visiting Boston Smile
  • image camedowncrushing:
    I second the North End!  I like Davide or Strega.

Oh my god, we went to Davide a few weeks ago, and I would rather set myself on fire than ever walk through their doors again.  The service was so awful. Seriously. Just terrible. It took 45 for us to get our appetizers, and then another hour after that for our entree.  In the meantime, our dirty appetizer plates sat on the table for 15 minutes, while the waitress and bartender/waiter walked by at least half a dozen times with nothing in their hands.  When I asked the waitress if our food was on the way, she was so patronizing to me, I almost left. And the food was ok, but not great, and certainly not worth a 2 hour wait. Gordon Ramsay would not approve. 

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

[IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/mokey75/IMG_0222-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image ead1975:

image camedowncrushing:

Oh my god, we went to Davide a few weeks ago, and I would rather set myself on fire than ever walk through their doors again.  The service was so awful. Seriously. Just terrible. It took 45 for us to get our appetizers, and then another hour after that for our entree.  In the meantime, our dirty appetizer plates sat on the table for 15 minutes, while the waitress and bartender/waiter walked by at least half a dozen times with nothing in their hands.  When I asked the waitress if our food was on the way, she was so patronizing to me, I almost left. And the food was ok, but not great, and certainly not worth a 2 hour wait. Gordon Ramsay would not approve. 

Oh gosh that is terrible!

• Yeah, it was really disappointing, because we'd really been looking forward to it.  But it was just a really awful experience. We recorded the Kitchen Nightmares episode they were on, (we went a couple of days before it aired), but I can't bring myself to watch it. I'm afraid I'll get all riled up again, heh.

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

• image ead1975:

image camedowncrushing:

Jeez.Did you yelp this? I love yelping!

I tore apart a North End restaurant that we visited last summer. The service was RIDICULOUS. 

• image PunkyBooster:

Jeez.Did you yelp this? I love yelping!

I tore apart a North End restaurant that we visited last summer. The service was RIDICULOUS. 

I did. I almost never bother, but I couldn't let this one go.

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

• Here is mine

Villa Francesca  

Category: Italian
    Neighborhood: North End

2 star rating
     8/16/2010  
    I met a group of friends here for Restaurant Week. 5 minutes prior to our reservation, the hostess had called me (who was en route a very harried cab ride) to confirm the reservation. I had told her we were 5 minutes away. When we arrived, we informed her that there would actually be 8 of us for dinner, instead of 10 (the other 2 joined us later). The hostess FLIPPED out on us. Apparently, we really put her out, having to subtract 2 people for the first 2 courses of dinner. I don't normally react to rude hostesses, but after standing at the bar and watching her for a bit, it was apparent that none of the staff was equipped to handle customer service. And that wasn't even at a busy time.

We ordered, then requested a basket of bread. The server said they don't have bread, if we want it, we need to order garlic bread.  $12 and 8 pieces of garlic bread later, we see a table 2 rows over have bread basket after bread basket replenished. Hmmmmm.

The food was good, overall. I'd give food and presentation a B-.  However, the service is seriously lacking and the entire staff could use a serious attitude adjustment. Go somewhere else. Life is too short to waste your dining dollars on mediocre food and atrocious service.

• That's amazing. The thing about the North End is that there are dozens of restaurants with good food and good service within inches of each other. You'd think they'd try to stand out a little more.

I actually just looked at my Yelp account to pull up my Davide review, and the GM sent me a private response to my message. Apparently, he was not impressed with my review calling them donkeys.

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

• image ead1975:

That's amazing. The thing about the North End is that there are dozens of restaurants with good food and good service within inches of each other. You'd think they'd try to stand out a little more.

I actually just looked at my Yelp account to pull up my Davide review, and the GM sent me a private response to my message. Apparently, he was not impressed with my review calling them donkeys.

Well of course he wasn't. He should take that review, print it off, and hang it up on the bulletin board and bring it up at the next staff meeting. That alone should freak him out enough to set a fire on his staff's azzes to improve their customer service. 

• I'm pretty sure the sh*tty waitress we had was his wife. So if he stopped frothing at the mouth about me "insulting" her for a second, he'd see we had valid complaints. Complaints that are echoed in other reviews as well, by the way.

But he's banned me and my friends from ever darkening his doorstep. Apparently, he feels he won't be "loosing" out on anything.  Well, me either, buddy. Me either.  And way to prove you're not a donkey.

(And, um, apologies to the OP for taking over the thread! There really are lots of good restaurants in the North End to load up on carbs.  There are some great suggestions in the thread, though, obviously, I don't recommend Davide, heh.  Best of luck with the marathon!)

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

• Ha. I'm gonna go find it on Yelp and mark it the most useful, awesome review ever!
  • It's under Erica D., in Quincy. (Though I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to make a donkey reference.)
    Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

• Butting in....I think Davide was on Restaurant Impossible with Chef Robert Irvine. I would have thought they got their act together, guess not.
  • Were they, samandmary? I know they were on Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, which is why I called them donkeys.

I just updated my Yelp review to include some info on the email I got from him. I wasn't going to bother, but eff that guy.

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010