Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

If you attend church on Sundays...

How long is the service? 

We tried a church a while ago that we liked and have gone a few times since.  What we don't like about it is the service is 1 1/2 hours long.  The pastor is really long winded.  He's pretty interesting and keeps your attention fairly well, but it's hard to sit there for a full hour and listen to him talk.  All of the other churches we've tried the service is about an hour.

I know it's horrible, but I feel like it might be a deal breaker in our church search.  Maybe it would be different if we were more involved and knew more people there?  I don't know.  It's so awkward trying new church.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you attend church on Sundays...

• 1 hr give or take.  1.5 hours would be a deal breaker for us too, unless we were really established in a church and knew we had to deal with it.

We might be church shopping new. We aren't clicking with our new pastors. I miss our last set (a husband and wife) so badly!!!  I told TH though if we switch churches we have to make a point of getting involved and going out of our comfort zone to meet people. We can't say a church is dying when we do nothing.

• 1 1/2 max, and that may include communion. Service starts at 9:45 with announcements and worship music, then sermon. Done at 11am is typical.

• Ours is an hour.  I rarely go, but if it was 1.5 hours, I wouldn't be going at all. 

Are you planning on taking the baby to church?  We haven't gone in a looong time since we have the baby. 

My mom took him once and he did really well, but kept walking up and down the aisle in the middle of the service.  I guess he was making people laugh.  Smile

• image Desmond&MollyJones*:

Ours is an hour.  I rarely go, but if it was 1.5 hours, I wouldn't be going at all. 

Are you planning on taking the baby to church?  We haven't gone in a looong time since we have the baby. 

My mom took him once and he did really well, but kept walking up and down the aisle in the middle of the service.  I guess he was making people laugh.  Smile

The church has a nursery for children up to kindergarten age,  so I don't know that baby being with us will be an issue. 

• Ours is about an hour and 15 minutes.  I don't mind when it goes a little longer, either.  The kids are having a great time learning in their classrooms, and I get to sit still and listen.
    Willa 4.6.06 and Henry 10.18.08 Camp Sinki
  • I haven't gone to a church since moving to this area. 

Growing up I went to church all the time.  Ours would only be 1 1/2 hours if communion was given.  Otherwise, an hour was about right.  
  • Ours varies quite a bit. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, usually more towards the 1 1/2 hours. But there's a good 20 minutes of singing (or listening to the band, whichever you prefer) in the beginning and people are rarely there right on time (we're supposed to start at 10:30) so the sermons aren't that long. You can also get up and get coffee whenever you want. We're pretty laid back which is good 'cause we're always late :-D
  • image WendyGR:
    Ours varies quite a bit. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, usually more towards the 1 1/2 hours. But there's a good 20 minutes of singing (or listening to the band, whichever you prefer) in the beginning and people are rarely there right on time (we're supposed to start at 10:30) so the sermons aren't that long. You can also get up and get coffee whenever you want. We're pretty laid back which is good 'cause we're always late :-D

Interesting.  Would you mind PMing me where you go? 

That's another thing I don't like about the church, the music is BORING.  I'm not saying I want a full rock band, but the music lacks real enthusiasm. 

• image TheWop:

That's another thing I don't like about the church, the music is BORING.  I'm not saying I want a full rock band, but the music lacks real enthusiasm. 

St. Luke's (Lutheran) has excellent music -- or at least they did five years ago -- if you want to check them.  We attended there for a bit when we first moved to GR and were really impressed by the music.

• image TheWop:

image WendyGR:
    Ours varies quite a bit. 1 to 1 1/2 hours, usually more towards the 1 1/2 hours. But there's a good 20 minutes of singing (or listening to the band, whichever you prefer) in the beginning and people are rarely there right on time (we're supposed to start at 10:30) so the sermons aren't that long. You can also get up and get coffee whenever you want. We're pretty laid back which is good 'cause we're always late :-D

will do! Our band is really good, it used to verge on heavy metal but it's lightened up considerably in the past couple of years. 

• image TheWop:

image WendyGR:

will do! Our band is really good, it used to verge on heavy metal but it's lightened up considerably in the past couple of years.