Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How much to tip furniture delivery guys?

We're already paying (only $99) for delivery but I should tip the guys still right?

They are delivering an end table and a couch and love seat. The couch and love seat have reclining pieces though so they can be broken apart and moved around a tight corner stairway into our living room so the couch will actually come in 3 pieces and then they'll bolt the metal bars across the bottom to make them the couch and same thing with the love seat which has 2 pieces.

So now that you know what the delivery looks like for them - how much should we tip? I'm horrible at knowing what's acceptable so TIA.

Re: How much to tip furniture delivery guys?

• IIRC, I think I tipped mine like $10 each.  (usually there are 2 guys)
    [IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/20f3s7k.jpg width="324", height="216"[/IMG] [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2lwrxqo.jpgwidth="324", height="216"[/IMG]
  • When I worked at a furniture store, our delivery guys did not expect tips. They are paid a fair wage already. Of course, they won't complain if you give them one anyway.
  • We usually do $20 each and a bottle of water. we have a lot of steps but we have a really open house (wide corners and halls) so I think it's a avg effort on the movers part.
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Michelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • I googled this and it recommended $5-20 a per person. It also listed how much to tip all kinds of professions. I said you're supposed to tip for flower delivery. Is that true? Its never occurred to me. How do know to tip ifyoure not expecting a delivery or do you always have cash on you?
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Michelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • If I already paid for delivery, I wouldn't tip.

I know others disagree, but I get really sick of everyone and their mother expecting a tip.  I tip fairly (20%) at restaurants, because that is how server's wages are designed, but most other places (except at the salon) - no way.

• I do not tip all delivery people, it depends on what they actually do and time involved. I just had 2 pieces delivered and they were done in under 10 minutes for both, no tip. For my dining room table, it took a good 25 minutes to bring it in and set it up. I tipped them $10-15 each I believe but that had a delivery and set up fee that I had already paid.
    image Nicholas loved for 28 weeks, 4/11/10
    Baby Boy loved for 15 weeks, 5/31/11
    Baby Girl loved for 16.5 weeks. 3/1/12
  • Usually $5-$10 each.  We had a couch delivered a few weeks ago, there were 3 guys and we gave tehm $5 each.