Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

New with a question:)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jennie. I am owner of a small business and a stay at home mom to an amazing little 2 year old:) I also share a passion for having and maintaining a healthy life style and love to work out. 

Was just wondering your thoughts on the amount of cardio one should do a day.

Although I am finally on the right track getting me back seems alittler harder  after having our daughter, I been really commited to make the change since the new year and doing quite well.

I have been doing at least an hour of cardio a day, min 5days and I do weights 3 times a week. I am feeling great but like every other woman you want ending results like yesterday! LOL

I was talking to one of the trainers today at my gym and was told that I am doing too much cardio. My first thought was really there is such a thing??? When they saw the look on my face they tried to explain that a good 20min of it is like doing an hour..blah blah  really? Any thoughts?

imageGraphics ?

Re: New with a question:)

• image BellaBlessed:

I was talking to one of the trainers today at my gym and was told that I am doing too much cardio. My first thought was really there is such a thing??? When they saw the look on my face they tried to explain that a good 20min of it is like doing an hour..blah blah  really? Any thoughts?

I laugh every time I read that some trainer says someone is doing too much cardio. The correct answer is that it depends on what your goals are.

I ride my bike 10-15 hours/week. My goal is to compete in cross country mountain bike races in the spring/summer and cyclocross races in the fall/winter. My category races for 1.5-2.5 hours on off road trails. Marathoners may do 4-10 hours/running per week. Other endurance road racing and mountain bike racing cyclists do up to 20 hours/week. There is no way endurance athletes could compete on 20 minutes of cardio a few times/week. LOTS of cardio is required for our sports.

Are you having fun? Do you enjoy the cardio? Then no, it's not too much. If you want to do more weight training, you could cut the cardio back to 3 days/week.

Should beginner athletes do 15 hours of cardio a week? No, it would "kill" them and they would risk injury. It's something you have to work up to, which could take a year or two or more. 

• Thank you for you input! I do love all the cardio, it kinda gives me a mental break.

WOW a cross country bike race, thats awesome!! I admire your commitment!

Thanks again!!

imageGraphics ?
  • What are your fitness goals?  To stay healthy?  To lose weight?  To run a marathon?  How much cardio you "should" do depends on the answer to that question.  But generally speaking, if you're doing an hour of cardio a day because it feels good and you like it, then no, I certainly don't think it's too much.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • image BellaBlessed:

Thank you for you input! I do love all the cardio, it kinda gives me a mental break.

WOW a cross country bike race, thats awesome!! I admire your commitment!

Thanks again!!

Then I'd keep doing what you are doing if you enjoy it! Finding the exercise that YOU enjoy is the key. If you get bored, mix it up. Take a group class, train for a 5K/10K, take DC out to the park to play, try weight lifting/NROLW (ya'll, is that the right acronym?). Keep it varied and keep doing what you enjoy!