Buying A Home
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

home inspection vent...

So long story short, DH and I are selling our house and moving at the end of April.  Our buyer had their home inspection last Thursday.  Fine.  Jump to tonight when DH asked me if the heat was on??  Yes, I think so...didn't change it recently.  Did you adjust the thermostat??  Nope, I didn't.  Then it suddenly occurs to us at the same time....the inspector jacked it up to 71 degrees to check to see if the heat would kick on....and then left it at 71 degrees!  We usually keep it on 65-68 degrees.  DH wants to file a complaint...I mean, I guess it could have been an accident, but that is costing us money!  Neither one of us has sold a house before so we didn't know to check to make sure it was back to normal after the inspection.  Can't wait to see our gas and electric bill this month!

Re: home inspection vent...

• Have you been out of town for the past week?  Did you notice the house was warmer than normal?  I can see being annoyed, but I doubt there is much you can do about it.

On another note, congrats on getting an offer!  Can I be nosy?  How long was your house on the market?  How much activity did you see?  I'm literally right around the corner from you (at least the location you gave) and we plan to list in the next couple weeks.  

These are a few of my favorite things

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/sedona.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/ruby2-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/crafty/boats.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/rubytue/fuglykeen.gif[/IMG]
  • Ugggh not cool.  I'm sorry that happened to you- its really unfortunate that he didn't turn it back down.  Did the inspection go well though?  No crazy requests for things to be fixed?
    ? ?????????! Z!
    BFP #1 EDD 12/14/12, C/P 4/9
    dx: DOR
    Clomid + trigger + IUI #2
    Everyone welcome.
  • Meh. Could be worse. The inspector left our oven on for 6 days while we were out of town. A few degrees on the thermostat wouldn't bother me.
  • nsfwnsfw member

deduct the extra heating costs from their inspection allowance on other items. lol.

but honestly...how much is this costing you? I can't imagine 6 days at 3-6 degrees higher would cost enough to get terribly bent out of shape about, although it would be mildly annoying.

• image RubyTue:

Have you been out of town for the past week?  Did you notice the house was warmer than normal?  I can see being annoyed, but I doubt there is much you can do about it.

On another note, congrats on getting an offer!  Can I be nosy?  How long was your house on the market?  How much activity did you see?  I'm literally right around the corner from you (at least the location you gave) and we plan to list in the next couple weeks.  

Our house was on the market for about a month and we got an offer from the third person who saw if for full asking price!  We hoped we would sell fast, but not this fast!  I would think our situation was a little out of the ordinary and maybe a little lucky too!  Good luck on listing! 

• That was only a week ago. I doubt seriously that you'll experience financial hardship because of 6 days of slightly higher heat in the house. Just let it go.

I'm not crazy, I've just been a very bad mood for the last 40 years!
  • That sucks. The inspector should have been more careful that's for sure. Honestly though, I think you got off lucky. Our home is currently vacant and during a showing, someone flipped the switch that controls our furnace and turned our furnace off.  This was during a time when there were below freezing temps.  We have no idea how long it had been off for when we found our house freezing.  (We just happened to make the 2 hour drive to check on our house one weekend). We're lucky everything was ok but we could have had pipes burst from the cold temps.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Turning up the heat to make sure the heating is perfectly normal, however not returning it to the temperature is not responsible, your realtor should have gone over everything while the inspector was there. During the home inspection when on the house we eventually bought, our inspector ran every single shower, dishwasher, faucet, turned up the thermostat to 75 and also ran the gas fireplace all at the same time.  It's a stress test to make sure the house can handle the load of all the fixtures running at once. After the inspection though, our realtor did the once over and made sure the thermostat was set back down, all the switches and faucets were off. 

I don't think filing a complaint will get you anywhere but aggravation. I do think you should mention it to the realtor, because the reason you hired them was to represent your interests.