Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*Vent* Fricking Moles

Okay, so there are mole holes in my tiny front yard.  It's super dumb, my front yard is seriously the smallest patch of lawn ever, but somehow a mole has decided it is like Disneyland.

I went to Lowes last night, talked to a guy there who suggested getting an insect remover for my lawn, with the idea that killing the insects means killing the mole's food source, which means the mole will meander somewhere else cuz there will be no food in my yard anymore.

Sounds good.  So I bought some granulated insect killer and one of those plastic dealios to distribute the stuff throughout my yard.  And last night I covered my yard with the insect stuff.

And now I wait.

Meanwhile, I read online that insect killer may make my problem worse.  But then again - yesterday I was reading about other methods to get rid of moles and nobody seems to think anything works.  WTF? 

Cross your fingers, here is hoping that killing my insects will make my moles go away.  hoping hoping hoping

Re: *Vent* Fricking Moles

• good luck! i hear getting rid of moles is hit and miss with all the different methods. when i used to see mole holes at my parents house, i used to take a garden hose and fill it with water. i don't know if it actually worked, it was just entertainment and satisfaction i think.
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Oooh that really stinks! Crossing my fingers for you!!

• My parents had luck keeping them away using mint.  I'm not sure exactly what method they used, but here is the method suggested by Gardening with Ciscoe:

Repelling Moles (best method)
    Make up some Mint Mole Blaster as follows: Begin by running a couple of big handfuls of mint stems and leaves through the blender with just enough water to make slurry. Then mix the blended concoction into a large soup pot full of water and simmer for about 30 minutes. This will make a concentrate that can be diluted to make about 6 gallons of mole blaster. Whenever you detect mole activity, pour the diluted mixture into mole holes and around the surrounding area. Irrigate lightly after application if the soil is dry. The key to success seems to be persistence. The moles evidently hate the smell of mint and if all goes well, the varmints will pack their bags and set up shop in your neighbors' gardens.

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • ooh good luck!
  • Crossing my fingers for you! They can be such a pain!
  • We are having the same problem, so if you find a good solution let me know.
    image image image
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59