Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Another baby question from a non-mom re: car trips

When were you ready to drive with baby 2 hours?  4 hours? 

I'm mostly concerned about a 4 hour trip.  Is that something you can do in the first couple of months or something that seems like it could be very difficult until baby is post 6 months, or longer?  I'd assume you'd have to stop a bunch of times to feed.  It seems like it could be a process.

Sorry if this sounds so naive.  I'm just curious.

Re: Another baby question from a non-mom re: car trips

• It depends on your baby how often you would need to stop.  But for most babies, especially when little, the car is a magical thing. 

In my experience, it is easier to take long car trips with a baby - the younger the better

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • We took a 2 hour drive to visit family when the kid was just under a month old.  He slept the whole way there.  On the way home, he woke up and wanted to be fed so we pulled over.  No biggie.    
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I still haven't done it yet. I think the farthest I've been with her is Havertown (from NJ)!

Probably mostly b/c it's been the winter and we really had no where to go.  I'm sure if she was born in the summertime it would have been different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Because of my csection, I didn't want to be in a car very long, so our first trip to north jersey was around 7 weeks? 

We are about to take a 6 hour trip tomorrow to Rochester to visit my friends and he is 12 weeks so we shall see how it goes 

• Hunter was not even a week old when we went on our first 6 hour car ride up to my husband's mom and dad's house upstate. I had him on June 27th and we were up there on July 1st for July 4th weekend.

I swear taking him on long car rides like that right away was the best possible thing we could have ever done. We used to drive up state every weekend at one point and he has always been so good in the car for 6 hours (more with traffic). I plan on doing the same with this next kid, too. I plan on training her to be a road warrior. I really think you have to get them used to being in the car or else it will be a disaster if you need to take long trips. 

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • I think the first longer trip we took was when we drove to the shore when DD1 was a month old. I remember we took a six-hour trip when she was four months, and we took a seven-hour trip when DD1 was three months and an eight-hour trip a month later. Those longer trips were tough at that age; the babies slept, sure, but once they woke up, they cried until we stopped. At that age it's best to plan long car trips around naptime or bedtime to avoid having to make too many stops. The easiest leg of any trip we made was when we broke the eight-hour trip in two; we left after dinner, drove halfway, spent a night in a motel, and finished the trip in the morning. Really, though, two hours is nothing, and four hours isn't too bad either.

I've found it gets easier as they get older. DD2 is a lot better now, although it helps that she has DD1 to entertain her. I remember DD1 wasn't so great in the car at the older baby/young toddler age, but once we figured out that listening to nursery rhymes kept her calm, it was easy driving after that.

Emily Suzanne 11.29.2007 | Kate Josephine 4.3.2010 | D&E 10w6d 9.5.2012 | EDD 8.17.2013
  • Wow. See, not the answers I was hoping for (or expecting). Ha. My IL's have this thing against Philly so we always have to go there. I was curious to know how long I could get away with not traveling with baby. Stick out tongue  I just wouldn't want a 4 hour trip to take 6 or 7, having to stop so frequently either. That doesn't sound fun for sleep-deprived new parents.  But I'm glad to know it's relatively easy and not some kind of huge production as I'm making it out to be.

And still not preggers. Ha. Soon, just hopefully later this year.

• from my experience...the younger the baby, the better the car ride =)  Keira was MURDER around 1-1/2 on weekly shore trips, ariana was great last summer because she was 0-3 months...god help me this year
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2iwabh1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Agreed that the younger the better. They just sleep all day.  But you can always push the angle that you're new parents, sleep deprived, shouldn't be driving. Once I realized DS needed an enforced nap schedule, around 4 mo, it got harder to travel long distances a) because it set him off schedule but b) because I felt guilty that he would spend his awake time trapped in the car seat. But I'm crazy.
  • Ava's first trip down the shore was probably around 2-3 weeks old. I completely agree with everyone, the car is magical, she slept the whole time. Around 9 weeks we traveled to Williamsburg, VA (about 5-7 hour trip) and she slept the entire way there and back with no stops. Ava is very good in the car but as she gets older it is getting a tad more difficult because she doesn't want to sit still that long but when they are very young it is pretty easy for the most part.
  • JD was probably about 5-6 weeks for our first shore ride and I'm pretty sure he slept through the whole thing.  It really depends on the kid though, David was the opposite, we did the drive almost every weekend with him and always had to make a stop. We started leaving later at night so we were sure he would fall asleep
    David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • image jewels2730:

Wow. See, not the answers I was hoping for (or expecting). Ha. My IL's have this thing against Philly so we always have to go there. I was curious to know how long I could get away with not traveling with baby. Stick out tongue  I just wouldn't want a 4 hour trip to take 6 or 7, having to stop so frequently either. That doesn't sound fun for sleep-deprived new parents.  But I'm glad to know it's relatively easy and not some kind of huge production as I'm making it out to be.

Um yeah, they might have to just get over their 'thing against Philly'.  For real, I'd tell them if they want to see their grandkid they'll come to visit. There's no way I'd drag everything to see them just b/c they don't want to come down here.

Now we're lucky b/c all grandparents live close (hehe, too close sometimes) but anyone else can come see us if they want to see her, at least in the beginning.

This is different for driving to vacation which we fully intend to do.

• image larrysdarling:
    image jewels2730:

Wow. See, not the answers I was hoping for (or expecting). Ha. My IL's have this thing against Philly so we always have to go there. I was curious to know how long I could get away with not traveling with baby. Stick out tongue  I just wouldn't want a 4 hour trip to take 6 or 7, having to stop so frequently either. That doesn't sound fun for sleep-deprived new parents.  But I'm glad to know it's relatively easy and not some kind of huge production as I'm making it out to be.

Um yeah, they might have to just get over their 'thing against Philly'.  For real, I'd tell them if they want to see their grandkid they'll come to visit. There's no way I'd drag everything to see them just b/c they don't want to come down here.

Now we're lucky b/c all grandparents live close (hehe, too close sometimes) but anyone else can come see us if they want to see her, at least in the beginning.

hell no. if they want to see the baby make them come to you. that was my rule and those who did not see him by coming to visit finally saw him when i decided i was ready to visit.  

• image lachute:
    image larrysdarling:
    image jewels2730:

hell no. if they want to see the baby make them come to you. that was my rule and those who did not see him by coming to visit finally saw him when i decided i was ready to visit.  

Yes it will. ::evil laugh:: The nursery is going into the spare bedroom. So they'll have to get a hotel.  Oh, right. They don't get hotels. They would rather stay on an air mattress on their kid's floor than pay for a hotel when they are visiting their kids. True story. Right now the bed we have isn't "comfortable" for them. It's Ikea, so it's very low to the ground.  I think they want us to offer up our bed, but I'm sorry. You can get a hotel. If you retire at the age of 58 and 60, you can afford it.  Yes, I know. I'm a huge biaattch. 

We aren't looking to move for at least 5 years, so I'm already having anxiety about the early years of children. We can't coordinate holidays and visits now.

But I am fully prepared to make them come to me.

Funny anecdote - they refuse to drive 76 or 95, so they drive from the middle of the state south and then drive to Delaware and then they drive back up to Philly. Indifferent

• image jewels2730:
    image lachute:
    image larrysdarling:
    image jewels2730:

Yes it will. ::evil laugh:: The nursery is going into the spare bedroom. So they'll have to get a hotel.  Oh, right. They don't get hotels. They would rather stay on an air mattress on their kid's floor than pay for a hotel when they are visiting their kids. True story. Right now the bed we have isn't "comfortable" for them. It's Ikea, so it's very low to the ground.  I think they want us to offer up our bed, but I'm sorry. You can get a hotel. If you retire at the age of 58 and 60, you can afford it.  Yes, I know. I'm a huge biaattch. 

We aren't looking to move for at least 5 years, so I'm already having anxiety about the early years of children. We can't coordinate holidays and visits now.

Funny anecdote - they refuse to drive 76 or 95, so they drive from the middle of the state south and then drive to Delaware and then they drive back up to Philly. Indifferent

Oh dear God. 

• image jewels2730:

w.o.w.  They do realize it is possible to get into the city from the west without going on 76 right?  There are other roads besides interstates.