Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

padded bikinis for little girls

http://www.ajc.com/news/abercrombie-fitch-rethinks-marketing-890163.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss 

Abercrombie & Fitch, bowing to a torrent of criticism, has decided against marketing push-up bikini tops to girls as young as 7.  "We've re-categorized the Ashley swimsuit as padded," according to a statement posted Monday on the Abercrombie Kids Facebook page. "We agree with those who say it is best 'suited' for girls age 12 and older."

The decision came roughly a week after the websiteSociological Images highlighted the provocative pre-pubescent tops as "another example of the sexualization of young girls."

Noting that Abercrombie Kids' target audience is age 7-14, and the average age of puberty is 12, site founder Lisa Wade asked, "at what age should girls start trying to enhance their cleavage?"

Babble, a popular parenting blog, echoed the widely held consensus: "Playing at sexy is an inevitable and important part of growing up. But there?s a difference between exploring these ideas on your own and having them sold to you in a children?s catalog.

"Right now, somewhere in the world, a girl is shopping at Abercrombie Kids and getting the message that her breasts might need a little help," wrote the Babble blogger. "Why not start now, with a push up bikini made special for you?"

Despite the apparent concession, the push up tops are still being sold to pre-pubescent girls,observed the Columbus Dispatch.

The "Ashley" bikini top is available on the company's website for girls 4 feet 8 inches tall -- the average height of a 10-year-old, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This isn?t the first time Abercrombie has been accused of marketing sex to children. In 2002 the clothier was criticized for offering children?s-size thong underwear containing phrases like "eye candy" and "wink wink."

Aside from the creepy Toddlers and Tiaras moms,  who would buy one of these for their daughter??

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: padded bikinis for little girls

• I'm also not sure how I feel about this breast feeding doll everyone is talking about.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Parenting/story?id=8271555&page=1  

• I find both inappropriate and gross. 

The padded bathing suit just teaches young girls that what they have goin' on isn't good enough.  Terrible message.

The breast-feeding doll is totally not necessary. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The padded bikinis are horrendous.

The bf doll is not a big deal to me. I remember when I was little that I would pretend to bf my little baby dolls b/c I saw my mom doing it with my brother and sister.

Like the article said, I think it's important to teach little girls that their breasts have a function other then sexual purposes.

Plus, we have such a low rate of breastfeeding in the US I think the doll can only promote it.  I think it ingrains in girls at a young age that bfing is a natural thing to do.

•  The bikini thing is appalling to me.  Why we would want our little girls to think they need to have big boobs is beyond me. 

I think the thing I think is weird about the breastfeeding doll is the halter top with the flower "nipples" where the baby feeds.  I feel that is unnecessary.  I totally can see how a kid would mimic their mom breastfeeding with a baby doll but I just think this doll is weird.

• The padded bikini is just all sorts of wrong.  But I honestly expect nothing less from A&F. 

image larrysdarling:

Like the article said, I think it's important to teach little girls that their breasts have a function other then sexual purposes.

Plus, we have such a low rate of breastfeeding in the US I think the doll can only promote it.  I think it ingrains in girls at a young age that bfing is a natural thing to do.

While I agree with what you're saying (the message of the doll), I'm still not so sure I'm down with a bf-ing doll.  I don't even like the dolls that poop and pee.  It's supposed to be a toy, not a life experience imo.  Something about this weirds me out.

• Re Bf doll. It is made for children in a country where bfing is the norm. I hate that breastfeeding is sexualized especially by other women. Trust me nothing is sexy during the act of breastfeeding. Why is it ok for dolls to have bottles but not be breastfeed. As for a&f don't send your preteen alone to shop. And don't be afraid to talk about why it's inappropriate.
  • image jessica0602:

The padded bikini is just all sorts of wrong.  But I honestly expect nothing less from A&F. 

image larrysdarling:

While I agree with what you're saying (the message of the doll), I'm still not so sure I'm down with a bf-ing doll.  I don't even like the dolls that poop and pee.  It's supposed to be a toy, not a life experience imo.  Something about this weirds me out.

The act of having a baby doll is recreating the act of having a baby. Hence it is a life experience. When you have a doll you don't put it on a shelf you pretend it is your baby.

• image jessica0602:

The padded bikini is just all sorts of wrong.  But I honestly expect nothing less from A&F. 

image larrysdarling:

I get what you're saying, but then why have dolls at all? Isn't the act of having a baby doll mimicking a life experience?

Plus, like Lachute said, this doll comes from a country where bf is totally normalized and more prevalent then here.

• image lachute:
    Re Bf doll. It is made for children in a country where bfing is the norm. I hate that breastfeeding is sexualized especially by other women. Trust me nothing is sexy during the act of breastfeeding. Why is it ok for dolls to have bottles but not be breastfeed. As for a&f don't send your preteen alone to shop. And don't be afraid to talk about why it's inappropriate.

I don't have kids yet, but this is definitely key when talking about this or any other controversial issue.

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • I feel like this is the sort of thing A&F puts out there to be all pearl clutchy, and drive "their" costumers to the store. 

The doll, to me, is NDB.  I am actually a little ashamed at my own discomfort with NIP, so anything that can help the next generation is a good idea IMO.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • I haven't seen one of these "padded" swimsuits - is it padded aka victorias secret or does it have padding to hide the nips because if it's the latter, I don't see a problem with it.  It's hard to tell from the website how padded they are and imo, a "triangle top" (string ties) is just as inappropriate for a 7-10 year old as "lightly padded"  

DD: 6-24-11

EDD: 9-20-14