Boston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm going home!!

My brother and SIL are having their first child soon- as in maybe right now- so I went ahead and booked my ticket for mid-April to go to FL and spend a weekend with them and my nephew!! 

For those of you with children, what was a really thoughtful gift you received that wasn't off your registry?  Maybe something I can make for the nursery (I don't knit, or sew unfortunately).  Any ideas for great nephew gifts (besides a shirt that says "Red Sox Fan"- I already got him one of those Wink) ?

Re: I'm going home!!

• DS is a spit upper so I use bibs like crazy.

Diapers in 1 size larger than what he is in. 

Honestly, if you just did my laundry, cooked me dinner then cleaned up, that was the best gift you could have given me.

Well, that, and hold DS so I could take a nap one afternoon. 

• We've taken to sending the parents easy-to-cook frozen meals immediately after the kid is born.  I use DineWise.  Our friends seem to love it, and I've asked everyone for reviews of the food (I didn't want to keep sending it if it was crap).

I like giving something that's more geared towards making the parents' life easier since I figure a lot of people will be buying stuff for the baby.

And Punky got gifted some housecleaning services, didn't you, P?  That sounded pretty awesome to me!

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • I usually try to get something for mom and an outfit for the baby. Depends on the person I guess. I don't have any kids so i couldn't tell you but cleaning or cooking services sounds like a great idea. Example: when my "niece" was born, I got her an argyle onesie because I get all my "nieces and nephews" (i put that in quotes because I am an only child and they are my friend's kids who call me Auntie) argyle things and I got mom a pair of earrings with the baby birthstone. Was it practical? Absolutely not but she loved them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love the birthstone idea!! I just have to wait a few more days for that to make sure I get the correct birthstone.  She is literally about to enter labor- she has been having contractions 7 minutes apart for like two days now.  So I don't know if it'll be March or April :)

Thanks for the ideas! I am definitely going to be cleaning (I LOVE cleaning/organizing) a lot when I get there...I don't think they would want me to make them dinner.  But I can pick them up something! :)

• image ajuchkon:

My brother and SIL are having their first child soon- as in maybe right now- so I went ahead and booked my ticket for mid-April to go to FL and spend a weekend with them and my nephew!! 

For those of you with children, what was a really thoughtful gift you received that wasn't off your registry?  Maybe something I can make for the nursery (I don't knit, or sew unfortunately).  Any ideas for great nephew gifts (besides a shirt that says "Red Sox Fan"- I already got him one of those Wink) ?

I'm so jealous! I'm actually hoping to go down the end of May for my nephew's high school graduation.  Me and my sister are 9yrs apart, she started early with kids and I'm starting late (kinda). 

Congrats on being a new Auntie!

• Congratulations! That is so exciting!

We had people bring us food a lot when DS was first born, and that was great to not have to think about.

A family friend of ours is wonderful at sewing. For our wedding, she made us a beautiful quilt out of black and while fabric with cars and fashion/beauty, so it was our wedding colors and our interests. For my baby shower, she gave me a quilt for DS with all bright colors and kid prints,but the border was made from the same fabric as the border on our wedding quilt (which she had saved for 2 years). I love them so much, they're probably my favorite wedding and baby gifts.

• image LadyExtravaganza:

Congratulations! That is so exciting!

We had people bring us food a lot when DS was first born, and that was great to not have to think about.

A family friend of ours is wonderful at sewing. For our wedding, she made us a beautiful quilt out of black and while fabric with cars and fashion/beauty, so it was our wedding colors and our interests. For my baby shower, she gave me a quilt for DS with all bright colors and kid prints,but the border was made from the same fabric as the border on our wedding quilt (which she had saved for 2 years). I love them so much, they're probably my favorite wedding and baby gifts.

That's such a great idea! You are very lucky to have someone make this for you :-) 

That is so exciting, you must be so excited!!!! I usually bring food (to be cooked later), an outfit and diapers. 

• That is so super exciting! 
  • Yes, someone gifted me cleaning services. I loved it and still use her even though she has no boundaries and is always giving me unsolicited, bad advice about DS.