Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gift for FIL we don't know

Hey all,

So, my DH hasn't seen his biological dad in 20 years due to family issues. We're making a road-trip and surprising the FIL for his birthday with a visit this weekend (FIL's wife is in on it).  We're totally clueless what to bring as a birthday gift for him.  I've got lots of photos printed of the past few years so he can see how his sons have grown, but anyone have any other ideas what to bring?  We know general things he likes (motorcycles, liquor) but don't know him well enough to buy a specific item.

We'd love any input!

Re: Gift for FIL we don't know

• Tongue Tied

Not a clue.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Tongue Tied

Not a clue.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Tongue Tied

Not a clue.

• Am I the only one who thinks that this is an absolutely awful idea?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No, you are not the only one who thinks this is an absolutely dreadful idea. I can't imagine the multiple ways this can go badly awry

Edit: and I don't know how that first one posted three times; sorry, it won't delete.

• Well, its not like DH and FIL haven't spoken to each other.  My H got in contact with him about a month ago and they talk almost every/every-other-day to some degree now and most times at length.  The FIL was sooo happy when we made contact him.  

I can see how it might have turned out badly if we hadn't spoken OR seen in him 20 years, but we've at least spoken him pretty often now, and we know he wants to see us because he's asked (the H just wasn't ready).

FIL just doesn't know we want to come see him this weekend.   

Does that still sound like a bad idea?

• I will admit that when I first read your post I thought it was a terrible idea. Then I saw that his wife is in on planning this and that made me feel like maybe it would be okay.

I would say with your update it could be great. It is not my style to do something like this. I would not want a surprise like this sprung on me like that. But it probably will go just fine. 

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/rkd75g.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23r1e34.jpg[/IMG]
  • To your question about a gift--I think the photos are nice, and just that you're there will be enough. Once you get to know him you can get him gifts for special occasions, but I think this time there will be so much going on it's probably better to just have the photos.
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/rkd75g.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23r1e34.jpg[/IMG]
  • I still think the "surprise" element should be removed from this trip.  

Hope is not a strategy.
  • I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but I'm reading 20 years of absentee fathering + liquor and motorcycles and getting a very clear mental image.
  • image ReturnOfKuus:
    I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but I'm reading 20 years of absentee fathering + liquor and motorcycles and getting a very clear mental image.

You're not the only one.  And I think that I'm getting a pretty good idea of the "family issues" that led to the 20 years of deadbeat dad.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers