International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: parenting american style

• I think that I will not be attending sports practices. ?Anyone who thinks I should is crazy.

• I find most of the article really annoying.

Why is it seen as a negative to welome someone to the neighborhood?  To be at the park playing with your child and not be hungover?

I get that there are extreme cases and maybe I'm one??  Overly concened with what Milo eats, plays with etc...but how is it hurting or affecting anyone else?

Competitive parenting is really confusing to me.

• I agree with you. ?

I also didn't realize that actually playing with your child was an American trait.?image

• I think it is an individuals choice how they bring up their child, not a nation's choice.  This article is fueling misunderstanding about the American population that seems to be around. 
    Jakarta, Indonesia. www.livelaughpoop.blogspot.com image Pregnancy Ticker
  • I find this article really annoying.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being involved with your childs well-being and caring about how their brought up.  I find it hilarious that the author is comparing an 'American' parent that sits in the sandbox playing with their child to a 'British' won who's nursing a hangover and thinks the 'American' is basically too involved. 

There's a lot more that I want to say about it but I cannot think of the right way to explain myself.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like she makes her own expectations of herself but refuses to accept her own blame.

imageimage
  • I've had the pleasure/misfortune of having parented in 3 countries now (US, UK, Australia, and now back to the US) so I've spent my fair time at the playground, classes, etc.  I have to say that I agree with the overall idea in the article.  If you take a child to a indoor playcenter or the local park in the UK or Australia, you will usually see the mums sitting together having a chat or coffee.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a child start crying at the playground and I can't figure out who the mum is to let her know.  Of course there are exceptions to this, but in general I find the mums in these countries much more hands off.  In the US you get the "helicopter" parents.  The ones who never move more than 6 inches away from their child. 

Honestly I think there should be a happy medium.  I worry that Americans obsess over our kids too much - are they bored, happy, stimulated, etc.  I remember being sent to "go play" as a child and I think it fostered creativity.   In wanting to give our kids the best, I we sometimes "help" them too much and don't allow them to develop important skills for the future, like learning to sort out playground arguments on their own.  On the flip side, I don't see the point of staying at home with your kids if you aren't going to play with them.  Supervising and actually playing with them is two separate things.

• That annoyed me. I also think it's pretty random that spending time playing and being with your kids is a bad or boring thing?
  • I agree with you bugmommy.  A happy medium is what we're striving for...although I think I fall into the helicopter category, at least while he's still my baby!!

I just don't get why people criticize other parenting styles, whether you're a pagent mom or you hire a nanny and lunch with your girlfriends all day.  I just wish motherhood was more of a sisterhood is I guess what I'm trying to say.

• I totally agree.  I think so much of it comes out of insecurity and not recognizing that everyone has to parent in a way that works for your family, home situation, and child.

I also want to mention that I think the author is being a little tongue in cheek with some of her examples for the sake of humour. 

• I think she sounds like a bitter women who is pissed she didn't have balls enough to raise her kids the way she really wanted due to peer pressure or fear of looking poorly in another parent's eyes and wants to blame the somebody so why not the Americans.

I hate any article that totally generalizes an entire group of people like "American parents". To pidgeon hole an entire country is just absurd. Yes, because we all live in the same country that MUST mean we all parent exactly alike. Just generic genralizations like that annoy the piss out of me.

Do some American parents micromanage their child's every move? Absolutely. Do some children get neglected and need more guidance? Unfortunately, yes. Are there some crazy parents out there who want a happy medium? Not according to this article.  

• I agree that there should just be a happy medium.  There are a lot of American parents who micromanage.  And there is huge pressure to be a perfect mother with perfect children and a perfect family.  But I don't think being completely disengaged and hungover is exactly the way to go either.

Some of her article sounded kind of humorous but a lot of it sounded mean-spirited toward Americans.

• Does no one else see this article as the satire that it is?

I've neither parented in England or America and so have no opinions to offer there.

It does seem though that many parents are hyper involved with their children ?and need to "get a life".

Part of the point of going to a public place like the park does seem to be to engage with the public. That means children playing with children and adults interatcing with adults.

If I just wanted to play with my own child then I could do that at home.?

As a high school teacher I can also comment that there is a generation of young people who firmly believe themselves to be "special snowflakes". Maybe if Mum and Dad weren't so engaged and affirming then little Johnny wouldn't think ?he was the centre of the universe.

?

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/213pzit.jpg[/IMG]
    Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old
  • Yes, sure, some of the article is likely tongue in cheek.  Yes I agree that hyper-parenting does go on, and a nice happy medium would be ideal. 

However, I think it's obnoxious to imply hyper parenting is an American thing when I have to register my yet unborn child at schools here in London.  Hyper-parenting?  Yes.  American?  No.  If I don't do it, my child doesn't get a spot in school.  He's not competing with Americans for these spots - they are British schools.

Also, I can recall some pretty ridiculous stories shared by bugmommy witnessing "benign British neglect" at it's finest - ie. a mother walking through a park not having any idea where her 18-mo old child was...  another mother not paying attention to a similarly-aged child at a healthclub who was wandering dangerously close to an unguarded swimming pool while mummy chatted at the spa.  Should I now go write a newspaper article saying neglecting your children and having no concern for their safety is British parenting? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I also read it entirely as satire.  However, I think it would have been just as easy to substitute "helicopter parents" for "American parents" and thus avoid the gross generalisation.