Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

And I thought my MIL was bad..

So my coworker shared this story with me, and I thought some of you would get a kick out of it..

Coworker's DD and Son IL just got back from vacation. The first call they get as soon as they get off the plane back home is from Son IL's mom say she went over to their house, found their spare key, let herself in, cleaned the house and now they owe her $50 for the work. Needless to say her DD is fuming..

I have to admit her MIL makes mine sound like an angel (sort of..).

Re: And I thought my MIL was bad..

• Forcibly sold them cleaning services? This is like those windshield guys in the cities, who wash your windshields when you are at a stoplight then shake you down for money for it. It's a driveby cleaning!

I wouldn't pay; and I'd change the locks, too. And I'd send a note over that said "The fifty dollars you want from us is being spent on new locks; thanks anyway".

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*

I'd send her one of these with a note that says "for services rendered". 

Hope is not a strategy.
  • Oh that is soooo wrong on so many levels.  I think that I would feel violated.  If she is nervy enough to let herself into my home without permission, what else did she do while she was in there!?  Lets admit we all have stuff in the drawer by the bed we don't want the MIL to see/know about Embarrassed
    Anniversary
  • Asking ain't getting.

If dh didn't agree to change the locks, I'd have him move back in with mama!

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • I'm curious if MIL does this on a regular basis and what exactly does her H say/do about it.

I also would get that key back or change the locks.... actually I would just change the locks because if MIL is psycho enough to do what she did... you can bet your a$$ that she is going to keep that key and probably make copies.

AND.... for the love of Thor They shouldn't be hiding a key on the outside house.  Really.... that is Really Dumb.

Please let us know how her H handle this.... 

Blog: Not to be Koi

Sara, Friend?
    glove slap. I don't take crap.
  • image MrsNYCteach:
    Oh that is soooo wrong on so many levels.  I think that I would feel violated.  If she is nervy enough to let herself into my home without permission, what else did she do while she was in there!?  Lets admit we all have stuff in the drawer by the bed we don't want the MIL to see/know about Embarrassed

No kidding! I don't want anyone snooping around my home. Creepy! I cannot imagine how livid I would be about this... 

• I'd say Sorry about your luck! You didn't have to clean!
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
    imageimage
  • I personally can't believe this is true.  

I can see a pushy, forward MIL entering her son's home and doing this - and be completely wrong (and weird) for doing it...

so that part I can believe.

The specific $50 charge smells like there is a part of the story twisted and or omitted.  If the MIL was that off kilter the DD would have already seen evidence of it pre-marriage and wouldn't have been "fuming" as it would have been par for the course. - Mad, offended at the entry, yes...but this is just way to out of the ordinary to not have a piece missing of what transpired unless the mother is diagnosed as mental ill.

And for cripes sake - who hides a key outside their home any more? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WOW. I'd change the locks, she probably took it upon herself to copy the key while she had it too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like my MIL... she sells avon, and always asks me to take a look at the catalog. I look but I never really buy anything. Once I saw a hair flat iron and I made the comment that I probably needed to get a new one becuase mine is going out, she asked if I wanted to order that one, and I said no I have a friend that is a hair stylist and I could get one from her at a discount. She ordered it anyway without me knowing. 2 weeks later my DH goes over to their house for a visit without me. She sends him home with the flat iron, and a bill for 50 bucks.... I sent him back with the flat iron and the bill and let him handle it. He just told her that I ended up getting one from my friend like I told her I was going to do and she needed to return it.