Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Stainless steel or under the counter?

There will not be room in the pantry for a trash can. What is better, stainless steel or under the sink with a pull out trash can? I don't like the fact that it will be under the sink but worry about finger prints, etc. Any ideas, suggestions?

Re: Stainless steel or under the counter?

• We have a stainless steel-colored one from SimpleHuman. It doesn't show fingerprints and matches with our appliances. It's got the foot step so you don't have to use your hands to open it, which is nice when we're dealing with cooking certain things. If it was under the sink, you'd have to open the door, and if you've got raw meat juice on your hands, that's gross...IMO.

• I think I probably have the same trash can as PP.

We love it and yes sometimes it shows up some marks, but it's easy for a quick spot clean-up as opposed to trash under the sink. I don't think I'd like to keep mine there. Tongue Tied

• We keep ours in an extra cabinet (nice pullout from Lowes on sale last year, not sure if they still have ours) and I LOVE that we don't have a can sitting out. DH and I were looking through old pics and saw our trash can in one and it's so nice to have the corner empty.  IMO a trash can isn't decorative so I'd try to hide it. 
  • We have stainless steel, but haven't been using it because it constantly showed the nose prints from our pets and my son's finger prints.  We have been doing a small bag on the counter because we are trying to figure this out too - I like it being hidden, but don't like having to touch the cabinet to get to it.  We also don't have a good spot for the can so it was kind of in the walkway which is another reason it wasn't working well for us.

If we didn't have all the little ones to make it messy, a quick spray with vinegar/water probably would keep it clean.

GL!

• We have a pull out one built into our cabinetry and love it.  I just pull it out when I am cooking so I don't have to deal with the nasty hands touching the pull issue.