Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

LDS ladies

I have a serious, non-judgy question, and I apologize if it doesn't come across the right way. Also, I apologize if this is something discussed before.

Why is there so much secrecy in the Mormon religion? I have been reading some books lately, and one of them mentioned that several documents are restricted, and only someone with Temple Recommend is allowed to access them. Additionally, the whole Temple thing, where only certain people can enter.

I am really, genuinely curious about this. 

Re: LDS ladies

• Does anyone have that old LDS thread? I'm on my phone. That one was interesting
    image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • Do you mind me asking what book you are reading? There are so many books out there, some on true doctrine of the church from actual church leaders/members that are to teach and inspire those who read. Other books are from authors that only are there to speak negatively of the church and teach false doctrine and/or teach it in a way that is incorrect. 

(I'll now post an answer in a new one. )  

image ~~~Jan 31st, 2010. Back together again.~~~
  • (TheNest was acting funny for me) 

I think that is a very common question. A lot of people focus on why there are so many "secrets". Well, to be honest, there aren't any "secrets".

There are certain things that we don't teach in Sunday meetings and other every day teaching/studying because there's always a time and a place for certain things. Especially, of the Lord's.

We believe that there are some more sacred  teachings/doctrine/information that is to be kept as such. It's not kept from others, but just not freely given unless you are prepared, for a lack of better words. 

• image smiles325:

Do you mind me asking what book you are reading? There are so many books out there, some on true doctrine of the church from actual church leaders/members that are to teach and inspire those who read. Other books are from authors that only are there to speak negatively of the church and teach false doctrine and/or teach it in a way that is incorrect. 

(I'll now post an answer in a new one. )  

The one that prompted the question is the 19th Wife. There are first hand accounts (her memoirs) from Ann Eliza Young, as well as an autobiography  of Chauncey Webb. A lot of the author's notes indicate that accessing these materials are incredibly difficult. There are even notations indicating that only certain people have access.

I am not trying to argue what is real or not, but it does seem like everything is kept very secretive is all. 

ETA: I don't want it to seem like I am picking on the Mormon's, because I'm not. I understand that there are other religions that have their secrets too, but it seems from my point of view, that this is more evident in the Mormon religion.

I also understand that the 19th Wife is a work of fiction. I have a degree in History, and I understand the difference, especially when concerning primary sources. I only brought it up, because some of the author's notes triggered that lingering thought in my head. 

• From what little information I gathered about Ann Eliza Young, it seems to me she was quite the gold digger! lol Married and divorced 3 times to wealthy people (though, I am unclear if her first husband was wealthy)  and spent quite a bit of their money. Sad as well, that she didn't want anything to do with her children. 

Also, just to be clear, the "Mormon's" practiced polygamy back in the day due to a commandment for that time. Many men had died due to an overbearing amount of persecution to the "Mormon's", and therefore, leaving many women with no means of protection, home, family, food etc. So, certain men were asked to take in other women to care for them and see that their needs were met. I honestly don't know if I could have lived during a time, and you'll never know how grateful I am that it is no longer practiced in our religion. (As you can see, there really is no need for it now. There are plenty of capable men!)

What documents and materials are they referring to as so difficult to obtain and only certain people were able to access them?  

• image smiles325:

From what little information I gathered about Ann Eliza Young, it seems to me she was quite the gold digger! lol Married and divorced 3 times to wealthy people (though, I am unclear if her first husband was wealthy)  and spent quite a bit of their money. Sad as well, that she didn't want anything to do with her children. 

Also, just to be clear, the "Mormon's" practiced polygamy back in the day due to a commandment for that time. Many men had died due to an overbearing amount of persecution to the "Mormon's", and therefore, leaving many women with no means of protection, home, family, food etc. So, certain men were asked to take in other women to care for them and see that their needs were met. I honestly don't know if I could have lived during a time, and you'll never know how grateful I am that it is no longer practiced in our religion. (As you can see, there really is no need for it now. There are plenty of capable men!)

What documents and materials are they referring to as so difficult to obtain and only certain people were able to access them?  

I know that there are historical documents (letters, journals, etc.) kept in a special climate-controlled archive near Salt Lake City for preservation purposes. From what it sounds like, these might be the types of things the author used for the book.

The LDS church is really, really great at preserving histories--both church and individuals--so keeping them safe is a priority. But the church also tries to be really good at making those things available for family history purposes, so the vast majority of these documents are available through databases or copies are available at places like the family history center on Temple Square.

Some of the more obscure documents may not be in a database yet and therefore might be more difficult to come by. But when you think about, personal journals and similar artifacts from 200 years ago are often VERY hard to come by, no matter which church you belong to :-) And because of the emphasis the LDS church places on history, I'd imagine it's probably generally easier to access those kinds of things from the church than it would be from many, many other organizations.