International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Invite opinions wanted!

Hello all, I need some non-family opinions on a wedding invite that's informal, but acceptable, in Spain. I think it's cute, and fits the fact that neither FI nor I are very serious, traditional people. However, I'd love to hear what you all think: good AND bad.

Here it is: the four colored cards slip out from the "tv" envelope.

The blue card says: "breaking news! x and y..."
Pink: "are getting married!"
Green: Church and reception info
Orange: "We'll be waiting for you!" and RSVP info

Thoughts? They'd be used for both the American and Spanish ceremonies. Price is goooood in comparison with what I've seen back home. Back home invites stress me out, and make my wallet hurt. 

Re: Invite opinions wanted!

• They?re cute. When I see them I have visions of a very casual, low-key sort of affair where the guests are in casual clothes, maybe khakis and the bride has a very informal sort of white sundress or something, and the reception is a bbq. I have no idea if that?s the sort of affair you?re having, but it?s what I think of when I see them.
    mc: 5w3d 11/11/07 missed mc: 7w or 8w, d/c @11w 4/16/08 mc: 6wks 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, I am a Spanish nesties so I hope it is okay to post my opinion.

I think they are cute and I have seen a lot of Spanish people use invites that look cute and casual but then later they actually have a very formal wedding. I think people look at the place you are going to hold the reception and the time that the wedding takes place to determine if the wedding is going to be fancy or not.

Spanish always dress up for weddings so if you are going to go casual then I would tell my Spanish guests before so they dont show up in super fancy party dresses.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Looks good to me!

My opinion of wedding stuff is "do what you want, unless it's tacky as all get out". 

• OK. Disclaimer: I'm Dominican and Dominicans take a lot of their culture and attitudes from the Spaniards. I also have a lot of family in Spain.

That said, I think the invite is cute, but more suitable for a save the date or even a birthday party, than a wedding. I would also see that as indicating you're having a super casual wedding. 

How formal is your wedding going to be? 

image BabyFruit Ticker
  • image dulcemariamar1:

Ok, I am a Spanish nesties so I hope it is okay to post my opinion.

I think they are cute and I have seen a lot of Spanish people use invites that look cute and casual but then later they actually have a very formal wedding. I think people look at the place you are going to hold the reception and the time that the wedding takes place to determine if the wedding is going to be fancy or not.

Spanish always dress up for weddings so if you are going to go casual then I would tell my Spanish guests before so they dont show up in super fancy party dresses.

I NEED your opinion - I'm sorry if the first post made it seem like that. I meant I need opinions from folks who haven't just lived in Spain/aren't just familiar with Spanish customs. And yes, in this case it'd be informal invite and traditional wedding. 

Thank you!

• image rpic81:

OK. Disclaimer: I'm Dominican and Dominicans take a lot of their culture and attitudes from the Spaniards. I also have a lot of family in Spain.

That said, I think the invite is cute, but more suitable for a save the date or even a birthday party, than a wedding. I would also see that as indicating you're having a super casual wedding. 

How formal is your wedding going to be? 

The save the date was a terrible nightmare, and ended up being just a photo postcard.This is a definite step up.

As for the American wedding, not all that formal. I have a traditional dress, he'll be in a suit. Lax dresses for the girls, suits for the boys. Guests however they please, I'm sure there'll be someone in jeans. 

• I love it.  If your guests will know the appropriate attire from the place, then go for it.  It's your wedding, do what you want.  It's really cute!

• I like them.  Quite honestly, if they fit with your personality, then use them.
  • They are adorable.  I love them.
  • I like them too. 

I've received a few invites in this style for weddings in Switzerland and France, two of the weddings were very formal and the third was very casual on the beach. I think they are fun invites and show a lot of personality. I agree that most people will look at the venue, time etc... to know what to wear.

• Since you asked for opinions.... They look more like shower cards than wedding invites. They also are girly, so if I got one in the mail I would immediately comment to my husband, "looks like HE has no say in the wedding."
  • I'm not sure about them - I have no issue with the non traditional/laid back thing (to the contrary) but I'm not sure I like the cutesy factor.

• I am a bit confused. You are having two weddings and are going to use the same invites?

I like your invites. They are NMS but I like them. Did you really Save the Dates here in Spain? I know they dont have this here so I was wondering if people understood what what they were about.

I got married 3 years ago but it seems that cutesy invites are in fashion. The invites you buy here are not as formal as the ones back in the States. Last year, I got two wedding invites where the bride was chasing the groom with a rope to tie him down or something. They were cartoon characters but the weddings ended up being traditional and formal.

As an American, I would look at the invite to give me some clue about the event but I think Spanish would look at the place of the banquet and the time of day. Anyway, what is your worry? That people wont dress up? If you and your novio likes it then go for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image dulcemariamar1:

I am a bit confused. You are having two weddings and are going to use the same invites?

I like your invites. They are NMS but I like them. Did you really Save the Dates here in Spain? I know they dont have this here so I was wondering if people understood what what they were about.

I got married 3 years ago but it seems that cutesy invites are in fashion. The invites you buy here are not as formal as the ones back in the States. Last year, I got two wedding invites where the bride was chasing the groom with a rope to tie him down or something. They were cartoon characters but the weddings ended up being traditional and formal.

As an American, I would look at the invite to give me some clue about the event but I think Spanish would look at the place of the banquet and the time of day. Anyway, what is your worry? That people wont dress up? If you and your novio likes it then go for it.

We are having two weddings.
    One in Spain, one in the US.
    We will use the same invite design, but not the same invite for both.

I only gave Save the Dates to the Spanish who were planning on coming to the ceremony in the States - they actually got upset with me for NOT giving them one, even though no one speaks English!

As for cutesy, there's a lot worse in the book. FI wanted one of the famous rope ones, but I couldn't even think about it. This one, as it's quite colorful, was a happy compromise for him. He can't stand the "bland, boring, serious" (read: typical North American) invite style.

I thank you all for your  input, both positive and negative!