Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Talk to me about meniscus tears

Apparently I tore my meniscus.  Right now it doesn't need surgery and I have been doing RICE but how long should I expect it to take to heal?  Can anyone recommend a brace to help with things.  Instead of running I am walking (to me that is take it easy and resting) and know I can swim but what else can I do while I am healing?  The last time I tore my meniscus (other knee) I also tore my MCL and ACL and needed surgery so I couldn't do anything until after rehab but this time it is just the meniscus so I not sure what my liimitations really are or should be.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Talk to me about meniscus tears

• I am so sorry to hear about that. I tore my meniscus last year, along with rupturing my ACL graft, and it has not been pretty. I had a complete menicus tear (think like a handle of a bucket) and it required my medial meniscus to be completely removed. Thankfully, yours does not sound nearly as bad. Ask your ortho aout a brace and about what exercises you can do. You don't want to make it worse.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree- talk with your doctor about everything- limitations, braces, treatment options, healing process, etc. I just had my 3rd surgery for a meniscus tear 2 weeks ago, so every tear is different and requires different treatment. I tore my ACL when I was 16 with a complete reconstruction. I had my first meniscus tear in 2003 and it was random shooting pain down my leg for a week or 2 before I got it checked. My doc decided after an MRI that it was worth doing surgery to try to repair it by placing a pin in the tear to tack it down. That repair failed and I had my medial meniscus completely removed in 2004. I just had more of my posterior and lateral meniscus removed along with holes drilled into my knee cap because I have no cartilage there either. Unfortunately,meniscus tears can be a progressive injuries that will require long term or multiple treatments. I hope you can avoid surgery. My ortho does not treat with braces, so I have no advice for you there. Good luck!!
  • Definitely talk to your doctor!!!  I had a torn meniscus which I never knew about until an MRI for a different problem.  With no pain, there was no need to surgerize.  However, I recently had IT band surgery and the doc cleaned up the meniscus (cut out about 10% of it) while he was in there. 

So, my experience is one of no pain, but it would never have healed on its own.  Talk to your doctor!!!

• I had a meniscus tear 8 years ago, so keep in mind it was not recent. However I remember that after I was able to stop wearing the knee immobilizer, I was shocked at how much thinner my left thigh was versus my right thigh, due to loss of muscle tone. I also was extremely concerned about bending my knee right after I got rid of the immobilizer. However I got over that pretty quickly and went to physical therapy for a few months - therapy was very basic, lots of biking with low resistance (at least when I started). After that every one in a while my knee would give out when I stood up (not very frequently though). However now I am completely fine and have no limitations on running or any other type of exercise.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers